Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-18-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Here's a idea.
Have a range policy that LEOs are identified as such (ID card, signage) and only they are allowed to shoot weapons that are prohibited to us and must be ones that they are authorized to use.
That would promote good police/recreational shooter relations.
If these charges hold up in court, and the courts decide that officers are not allowed to use prohibited firearms when off duty, it's a non issue, a range can't knowingly allow illegal activities to take place on the premises. If the charges don't hold up, it will be up to the membership to decide if they want to make an exception for law enforcement. But as angry as most range members were when the OIC came out, if this case is dismissed, they will be even more angry, so I don't see that happening.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-18-2021 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If these charges hold up in court, and the courts decide that officers are not allowed to use prohibited firearms when off duty, it's a non issue, a range can't knowingly allow illegal activities to take place on the premises. If the charges don't hold up, it will be up to the membership to decide if they want to make an exception for law enforcement. But as angry as most range members were when the OIC came out, if this case is dismissed, they will be even more angry, so I don't see that happening.
Here's my take on the whole range use/ prihib/ restricted thing and I have discussed thus with the other RSO's at our range.
As an RSO it is my duty to ensure that our range safety rules and procedures are followed , it is NOT to be an expert on what is currently prohibited and what is not .
However there are some firearms that I am familiar with and will inform the shooter they can't use them on our range . The .50 BMG is one .
There are so many legal semi autos that use larger than 5 round magazines that I don't bother looking at any of them as long as they are being used safely .
Cat
Old 09-18-2021, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Here's my take on the whole range use/ prihib/ restricted thing and I have discussed thus with the other RSO's at our range.
As an RSO it is my duty to ensure that our range safety rules and procedures are followed , it is NOT to be an expert on what is currently prohibited and what is not .
However there are some firearms that I am familiar with and will inform the shooter they can't use them on our range . The .50 BMG is one .
There are so many legal semi autos that use larger than 5 round magazines that I don't bother looking at any of them as long as they are being used safely .
Cat
20-30 rounds of rapid fire with no magazine change gets people's attention, and the complaints start rolling in. Then we have no choice, but to investigate the complaints. And with all volunteers, that is time we don't need to waste, which is why we added the rule banning prohibited firearms, except for official law enforcement activities. If a person fired five rounds at a normal pace, and then changed magazines, most people wouldn't notice.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
20-30 rounds of rapid fire with no magazine change gets people's attention, and the complaints start rolling in. Then we have no choice, but to investigate the complaints. And with all volunteers, that is time we don't need to waste, which is why we added the rule banning prohibited firearms, except for official law enforcement activities. If a person fired five rounds at a normal pace, and then changed magazines, most people wouldn't notice.
I have never encountered anyone at our range that counts the number of rounds someone is shooting without a mag change .
Cat
Old 09-18-2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I have never encountered anyone at our range that counts the number of rounds someone is shooting without a mag change .
Cat
When you hear 20-30 rounds as fast as a person can pull the trigger, it's pretty obvious. When I was VP at your range, I was called over by an RSO because a guy had a 30 round pistol magazine and was seeing how fast he could dump 30 rounds. He saw us coming, and hid the magazine in his bag, but we sent him off of the premises and told him never to bring the magazine back.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-18-2021 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
When you hear 20-30 rounds as fast as a person can pull the trigger, it's pretty obvious. When I was VP at your range, I was called over by an RSO because a guy had a 30 round pistol magazine and was seeing how fast he could dump 30 rounds. He saw us coming, and hid the magazine in his bag, but we sent him off of the premises ad told him never to bring the magazine back.
Like I said in the other forum I don't keep track of what is legal and what is not and frankly don't care.
Cat
Old 09-18-2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Like I said in the other forum I don't keep track of what is legal and what is not and frankly don't care.
Cat
We care only because if the CFO gets complaints from people that we are allowing prohibited firearms/magazines on the premises, and ignoring complaints about this, he can revoke our range approvals. Our priority is keeping our range open.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
When you hear 20-30 rounds as fast as a person can pull the trigger, it's pretty obvious. When I was VP at
your range, I was called over by an RSO because a guy had a 30 round pistol magazine and was seeing
how fast he could dump 30 rounds.."
Got to admit, that would get very annoying very fast..1-3 clips fine, anymore than that: annoyance.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
20-30 rounds of rapid fire with no magazine change gets people's attention, and the complaints start rolling in. Then we have no choice, but to investigate the complaints..
You don't know if that was that happened in this case either .
This conversation is starting to border on the ridiculous stages, I'm done with it. C'ya
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-19-2021 at 09:10 AM.