Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2011, 10:24 AM

Default Getting Transferred, looking for an acreage near Edmonton

Hey all,

I am looking for a bit of advice.

My company is transferring me to Edmonton, from Calgary....

I am sure this will draw lots of debate which is a better city, but my wife and I have family up in Edmonton. So it won't be all that bad. And my son will be closer to his grandparents.

Anyways I would like to look at buying an acreage, on the West side of Edmonton, as my companys office is in the West end near the Mall.

If anyone has any advice on where I should start looking that would be great. I've done some google searches, but haven't come up with much.

So if anyone knows of some good areas or perhaps a realtor that deals with these types of purchase, I'd love to hear from you.

Once I am there, I will be looking for new hunting partners. So feel free to send me a message to say hello. Would also love to get involved in a group or something that would allow me to meet new people, in the outdoors/hunting community up in Edmonton.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm an accountant, and in Calgary for that last 3 years, I've had a small accounting practice on the side, doing books for small to med sizes businesses, and doing tax returns Corporate, Sole Prop, and even personal. So if you are in the Edmonton area, and are looking for an accountant to help you out with your business, I believe my transfer will be complete mid Jan. So drop me a line, and I'd love to help you out.
I may end up buying a fixer-upper, and I'm not very handy, so I am more then open to talk aobut doing so tade, if you are a trades guy.

Thanks a bunch, and I hope your season is going well.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Banned

www.mls.ca

also try comfree,and if that don't work try driving around certain areas to see if there are private sale signs around,depending on how far west you want to go the prices will go up and down obviously,keep hills is a nice area,south of 627 by spruce grove/stony plain is nice too.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:24 PM
AvayaAce

Get a realtor....It's not going to cost you any money and they can search based on your requirements. Buyers markey now/still. Made the move from Calgary to Edmonton in 1989 and back to Calgary in 2005. Both are great cities although I did miss my mountains when we were in Edmonton.

If you need a hand with one Pm me and GL

Blake
Old 11-12-2011, 01:25 PM

Oh yeah for sure. When it comes time I will end up grabbing a realtor. Already have a lead on one. I was jsut wondering if ayone had any areas that they were partial too.

also, what kind of groups can I get invloved in when I get the mvoe done, to meet hunters and outdoorsmen form the Edmonton area?
Old 11-12-2011, 02:19 PM

My wife and I live west of stony plain in wilderness height sub division, there are lots of houses and lots for sale in the area. We've only lived here a year but so far its fantastic. There's lots of kids in the area as well.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:59 PM

Hey thanks for the advise EH17. Just wondering on the commute into the city from there. It says on google maps its about an hour. After a longs days work, I don't know if I;d liket eh hour commute, or the rush hour traffic, which could push it well over an hour. But I may have to go out that far to get what I want. I like that there are lots of kids. We have a 3 yaer old, and are about to for another.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
Hey all,

I am looking for a bit of advice.

My company is transferring me to Edmonton, from Calgary....

I am sure this will draw lots of debate which is a better city, but my wife and I have family up in Edmonton. So it won't be all that bad. And my son will be closer to his grandparents.

Anyways I would like to look at buying an acreage, on the West side of Edmonton, as my companys office is in the West end near the Mall.

If anyone has any advice on where I should start looking that would be great. I've done some google searches, but haven't come up with much.

So if anyone knows of some good areas or perhaps a realtor that deals with these types of purchase, I'd love to hear from you.

Once I am there, I will be looking for new hunting partners. So feel free to send me a message to say hello. Would also love to get involved in a group or something that would allow me to meet new people, in the outdoors/hunting community up in Edmonton.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm an accountant, and in Calgary for that last 3 years, I've had a small accounting practice on the side, doing books for small to med sizes businesses, and doing tax returns Corporate, Sole Prop, and even personal. So if you are in the Edmonton area, and are looking for an accountant to help you out with your business, I believe my transfer will be complete mid Jan. So drop me a line, and I'd love to help you out.
I may end up buying a fixer-upper, and I'm not very handy, so I am more then open to talk aobut doing so tade, if you are a trades guy.

Thanks a bunch, and I hope your season is going well.
Why did you shut down your practice in Calgary?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:28 PM

With your work on the west side traffic won't be to bad about 35 minutes or less, I drive through the city to Sherwood park every day and very rarely does it take an hour.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:06 PM

I ran it full time for a couple years, but got tired of trying to collect. and chase receivables. I guess you could say I was always the nice guy, willing to do the work first, and ask for payment afterwards. SO I decided to go back to work for someone else, and scaled it back to do it on the side. I still have a an incorp, so the tax shelter is there, along wtih my holdings co. So when I move to Edmonton, would like to do it again, on a case by case, and do some books to help out the small business guy. So in essence, I guess my practice isn't shut down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Why did you shut down your practice in Calgary?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:08 PM

EK:
With teh Anthony Henday opn, does that help out on the drive?
Old 11-12-2011, 10:24 PM

hey Herc...hey Herc....sorry couldn't resist, I sent you a PM....
Old 11-13-2011, 11:45 AM
AvayaAce

Bad thing about living West is the sun in your eyes going and coming back home.....buy some good glass!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBB View Post
Bad thing about living West is the sun in your eyes going and coming back home.....buy some good glass!
Interesting. Never would have put that together. Thansk for the heads up.

I've found a few, not West but South. ....a bit further then I would like, but they are nice. Looking more to the east of leduc, and South of Beamount. That seems like a nice area.

Anyone know much about the area?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:08 PM

We live West of Stony Plain in Hidden Valley Estates, nice area. It's adjacent to the West Side of Hubbles Lake so in the summer you hear the loons etc when your sitting outside.

The commute to West Edmonton is about 25 minutes.

Bernie Larson was our real estate agent he works out of Spruce Grove, he was very helpful to us since we ourselves were first time acreage owners.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh Bear View Post
We live West of Stony Plain in Hidden Valley Estates, nice area. It's adjacent to the West Side of Hubbles Lake so in the summer you hear the loons etc when your sitting outside.

The commute to West Edmonton is about 25 minutes.

Bernie Larson was our real estate agent he works out of Spruce Grove, he was very helpful to us since we ourselves were first time acreage owners.
Do you work in the city? Elk Hunter said the commute is really easy. In a really bad day wtih bad traffic, how long would it take you to get home?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 AM
AvayaAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
Interesting. Never would have put that together. Thansk for the heads up.

I've found a few, not West but South. ....a bit further then I would like, but they are nice. Looking more to the east of leduc, and South of Beamount. That seems like a nice area.

Anyone know much about the area?
A few friends lived in Beaumont and loved it. We started our Edmonton stretch in Ardrossen which is east of Sherwood Park, then in Sherwood Park, and finally in Edmonton in Terwilligar.

We loved Sherwood Park when the kids were small and playing a ton of sports.

Best of Luck