Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-08-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
You cant compare an Osprey to a Stone Glacier. Ive used both and an Osprey wont take the same load with the same comfort period. Ive used both.

If you want to back pack seriously get a quality pack with a load shelf and exchangable bags. Make sure it fits properly and is supported by good company.
This man is spot on! I bought a stone glacier sky archer last spring with the crux evo frame. I think it's been the best investment for my back while back country hunting. Helped pack out 3 elk this fall with it, including the full deboned front half, with trim, neck meat, back straps, etc. All of it but the hind quarters in one go, and it felt awesome.

The extra size of the sky archer sure makes it nice when you wanna pack a little extra gear, or clothes. You have the space for multi day trips, or you can compress it down to a smaller single day pack. Spend the money once, cry once!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:43 PM

Stone Glacier is the best . Also made in USA . not china .
Old 02-13-2019, 05:22 PM

Default SG Talus 6900

just received my new pack in the mail today. there are a lot of straps but cinching down a load shouldn't be a problem. first impression is really good. will post later how things go.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:27 PM

Weres best place in edmonton to buy a nice pack with frame
Old 02-26-2019, 08:04 PM

Kifaru is the only way to go. Expensive but good. Any of the new ones are worth the money. The Fulcrum is awesome
Old 02-27-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw17 View Post
I'm looking at the kuiu and the exo mountain. Any feedback or other suggestions would be appreciated. Probably going to go with around the 3500 size.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
EXO all the way. Customer service is 2nd to none!!
Old 02-27-2019, 10:19 AM

Default 6" is 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw17 View Post
I'm torn between the 2000 and the 3500. Very similar in size when compressed. The 3500 is only 6 inches longer.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Weight is nothing for another 6". That gives you more room if you want but you dont have to use it.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John9750 View Post
Weight is nothing for another 6". That gives you more room if you want but you dont have to use it.
You're bang on John. There is very little difference in costs on the bags, your cost for the frame is the kicker. The Stone Glacier bags really cinch up well so even if you just take it out for a day, you shouldn't need to remove much at all to save weight. They carry themselves quite well. Take the basics and cinch it up. Shoot yourself a nice big mulie, bone it out, pack it up and head back to the truck. I like the 5900 bag and felt it would be adequate but opted for the 6900 as we will be packing quite a load of food in to our next trip. Hopefully out heavy as well.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:41 AM

Just bought the Exo Mtn 5500. It's coming soon in the mail!
After doing my homework and watching the videos, it came down to Stone Glacier and Exo. Exo won hands down. Very light (both packs are) but very functional without a ton of compression straps and dismantling to get to the meat shelf. Also the built in dry bag is a huge coup (you pay extra for the dry bag). Both great packs by the looks of things but I am convinced I made the right choice.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:33 AM

Exo has a great marketing scheme for sure.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-28-2019, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Just bought the Exo Mtn 5500. It's coming soon in the mail!
After doing my homework and watching the videos, it came down to Stone Glacier and Exo. Exo won hands down. Very light (both packs are) but very functional without a ton of compression straps and dismantling to get to the meat shelf. Also the built in dry bag is a huge coup (you pay extra for the dry bag). Both great packs by the looks of things but I am convinced I made the right choice.
Good choice. Great pack.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:07 AM

Seems most of you are either ignorant to or willfully ignoring the fact there’s no “best pack” but there might be the best pack for you. If you choose from the alpha packs you’ll get a piece of gear that’s built to handle what your going to put it through and it’ll be almost infinitely adjustable. How you adjust it is ultimately up to you and the features you find important may be model or brand specific.
I’ve been through 10-12 alpha packs and have two in my basement that have a combination of the features I want, the load hauling capability I need and are both extremely comfortable on my back. I would bet dollars to donuts most of you could wear either of them and it would feel more comfortable then a eberlestock, badlands etc but they wouldn’t be adjusted properly to you. Even if they got adjusted you still might not find them as comfortable as something else.
I’ve also got a trail behind me of 6-7 crappy packs and 8-10 alpha packs that didn’t work for me. I said in the beginning of this thread your better off trying to find some of the packs your interested in and getting them on your back before you spend the money on them because name alone doesn’t guarantee comfort.
Stinky thinks if he tries an alpha pack or two and it doesn’t work he can write them all off. I disagree but I wouldn’t pretend the pack he’s chosen isn’t comfortable on his back. It might be, it might not be and either way I’ll never know but I’ll take his word for it because I’m not carrying it.
Old Chuck fell in love with SG and even though most of us can remember how much he loved mystery ranch for the last ten years... now it’s SG or nothing and EXO isn’t any good even though he probably hasn’t tried one but they’ve “got a good marketing scheme”. SG makes good stuff. I haven’t owned one but I’ve packed with one and even though it wasn’t adjusted for me it carried a mule deer just fine and they’re very well made. They don’t have the features I like so I’m not spending my money there but they’re certainly good packs.
EXO makes good gear. I’ve never worn one but I’ve read enough reports from guys who pack more in a year then I do in a decade to know they’re up there with the top brands.
I’m a running a kifaru and a mystery ranch for different reasons because they do what I need and feel great on my back. I wouldn’t say any of the top tier brands aren’t good. They are however all different as we are and you’ve got to find one that has the features you like and has been adjusted to your body properly and feels good.
Good news is they hold their value and they’re easy to sell on forums that actually move that kind of gear. If you don’t like what you’ve got any of them can be sold on rokslide or kifaru forums classifieds in a matter of hours and then you can try another one.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Seems most of you are either ignorant to or willfully ignoring the fact there’s no “best pack” but there might be the best pack for you. If you choose from the alpha packs you’ll get a piece of gear that’s built to handle what your going to put it through and it’ll be almost infinitely adjustable. How you adjust it is ultimately up to you and the features you find important may be model or brand specific.
I’ve been through 10-12 alpha packs and have two in my basement that have a combination of the features I want, the load hauling capability I need and are both extremely comfortable on my back. I would bet dollars to donuts most of you could wear either of them and it would feel more comfortable then a eberlestock, badlands etc but they wouldn’t be adjusted properly to you. Even if they got adjusted you still might not find them as comfortable as something else.
I’ve also got a trail behind me of 6-7 crappy packs and 8-10 alpha packs that didn’t work for me. I said in the beginning of this thread your better off trying to find some of the packs your interested in and getting them on your back before you spend the money on them because name alone doesn’t guarantee comfort.
Stinky thinks if he tries an alpha pack or two and it doesn’t work he can write them all off. I disagree but I wouldn’t pretend the pack he’s chosen isn’t comfortable on his back. It might be, it might not be and either way I’ll never know but I’ll take his word for it because I’m not carrying it.
Old Chuck fell in love with SG and even though most of us can remember how much he loved mystery ranch for the last ten years... now it’s SG or nothing and EXO isn’t any good even though he probably hasn’t tried one but they’ve “got a good marketing scheme”. SG makes good stuff. I haven’t owned one but I’ve packed with one and even though it wasn’t adjusted for me it carried a mule deer just fine and they’re very well made. They don’t have the features I like so I’m not spending my money there but they’re certainly good packs.
EXO makes good gear. I’ve never worn one but I’ve read enough reports from guys who pack more in a year then I do in a decade to know they’re up there with the top brands.
I’m a running a kifaru and a mystery ranch for different reasons because they do what I need and feel great on my back. I wouldn’t say any of the top tier brands aren’t good. They are however all different as we are and you’ve got to find one that has the features you like and has been adjusted to your body properly and feels good.
Good news is they hold their value and they’re easy to sell on forums that actually move that kind of gear. If you don’t like what you’ve got any of them can be sold on rokslide or kifaru forums classifieds in a matter of hours and then you can try another one.
I could care less what pack anyone here uses.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 02-28-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:29 PM

I have an EXO 3500 and really like it. Bomb proof, light and simple to use.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-28-2019, 03:33 PM

I have the old version of the Exo 3500. Probably won't buy another pack
Old 02-28-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_magic_stick View Post
This man is spot on! I bought a stone glacier sky archer last spring with the crux evo frame. I think it's been the best investment for my back while back country hunting. Helped pack out 3 elk this fall with it, including the full deboned front half, with trim, neck meat, back straps, etc. All of it but the hind quarters in one go, and it felt awesome.

The extra size of the sky archer sure makes it nice when you wanna pack a little extra gear, or clothes. You have the space for multi day trips, or you can compress it down to a smaller single day pack. Spend the money once, cry once!
The beauty of these packs is that you reduce them to day pack size and get rid of the lid until needed and maintain a closed top. Great design.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Banned

The lid is something I never leave at home. It is where all my small stuff goes. Having a pack that collapses down to "daypack" size isn't unique to a SG.
Post a pic of it carrying a moose quarter, not your jacket.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
The lid is something I never leave at home. It is where all my small stuff goes. Having a pack that collapses down to "daypack" size isn't unique to a SG.
Post a pic of it carrying a moose quarter, not your jacket.
I did not say it’s unique. Nor do I have a Moose quarter handy. However, I have posted plenty of pictures of my packs full of meat over the years.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-28-2019, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I did not say it’s unique. Nor do I have a Moose quarter handy. However, I have posted plenty of pictures of my packs full of meat over the years.
Nothing unique alright. Except the marketing...
Old 02-28-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Nothing unique alright. Except the marketing...
I’m ok with your choice. You seem on edge about it.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-28-2019, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
I’m ok with your choice. You seem on edge about it.
I've used mine outside the bedroom.
It's ok.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I've used mine outside the bedroom.
It's ok.
Laughing! Good grief.

Here is Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier with meat.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-28-2019, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Laughing! Good grief.

Here is Mystery Ranch and Stone Glacier with meat.
Nice!
By the looks of that terrain you could have called a taxi to pick up that deer. Nice to go through the motions though.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:03 PM

Humbling.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-28-2019, 07:10 PM

On a lighter note, the best motivation to work hard and save for a better pack.
:-)

-Billy Molls
Old 02-28-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
On a lighter note, the best motivation to work hard and save for a better pack.
:-)

Looks like a happy hunter there that dont give a hoot about what kind of pack he has, other than its full.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:02 AM

The day I came to hate Eberlestock (actually this is day two with the ram in there). I would have called a taxi Deer Hunter, but the cell service sucked.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-01-2019, 07:27 AM

Deer Hunter, here is a North Face pack with a removable lid. This pack made me question removable lid design.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-01-2019, 07:30 AM
Banned

Great pics. I was beginning to think all you used your backpack for was for taking pics in your bedroom. Have you personally used a SG pack?
Old 03-01-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Great pics. I was beginning to think all you used your backpack for was for taking pics in your bedroom. Have you personally used a SG pack?
Yes I have. But I’m beginning to think the only place you’ve used a pack to carry meat is on a cow trail in the aspens. You have one picture showing that so it must be true.

If you want a tutorial on packing meat in rough terrain my 14 year old son might be able to help.

The ankle biters association is sure strong here.

-Billy Molls