Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2014, 05:29 PM

Smile Hot off the smoker

Watching Omega post his smoker threads got me off my butt!

Thought I would try pulled beef on the ol's smoker, did a dry rub and marinated for 24 hours. Tried out my new AMNPS, worth every penny. The hickory pellets smoked beautifully for 7 hours and still had about 3 hours worth left, no reloading ,fuss or muss and pellets cost about a buck for 10 hours. I also added a 90 degree elbow with vents open fully, made a big different, way better drafting. There wont be many wood chip smokes use in my future After 7 hours, wrapped it up in tinfoil and finished cooking for another 3.5 hours to my desired temp, then wrapped roast beef in tinfoil in a blanket filling up all the space in my cooler for another hour and a half and voila.

just put in the smoker

would have looked nicer if between the time I left to grab my iphone the kids didn't cut the strings and already started digging in, urghhhh

now ready to start eating, fell apart with the fingers,didnt need a knife or fork. most tender and juiciest roast beef I have had
Old 01-20-2014, 05:33 PM

Oh yum not fair man
Old 01-20-2014, 05:41 PM

Damn you guys and your "smoking" treads.........I need to get one.

Looks good!!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Indeed! That looks so yummy!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Banned

Pixel, that looks very tasty. I use a massive Traeger for BBQ and smoker. I have found that pure hickory and mesquite impart far too strong of a flavour, so I mix my pellets half and half with something milder such as alder, apple or cherry. It tones down the strong flavor to something tastier which doesn't impart on the meat's flavour so much. The wonderful donair recipe which ABTUFF has shared and yours as well has me thinking that we should have a forum dedicated to recipes. Perhaps as a mod, you could convince the powers to be. If so, I would certainly post the best recipe for Indian candied salmon this side of the Mississippi.

BTW Pixel, what is the mix for your dry rub?
Old 01-20-2014, 05:59 PM

you had me right up to the words of salmon, I get dry heaves just saying that word, force fed as a kid, cant shake it

Interesting you say that about hickory, didn't find that at all, but Im all for experimenting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Pixel, that looks very tasty. I use a massive Traeger for BBQ and smoker. I have found that pure hickory and mesquite impart far too strong of a flavour, so I mix my pellets half and half with something milder such as alder, apple or cherry. It tones down the strong flavor to something tastier which doesn't impart on the meat's flavour so much. The wonderful donair recipe which ABTUFF has shared and yours as well has me thinking that we should have a forum dedicated to recipes. Perhaps as a mod, you could convince the powers to be. If so, I would certainly post the best recipe for Indian candied salmon this side of the Mississippi.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
you had me right up to the words of salmon, I get dry heaves just saying that word, force fed as a kid, cant shake it

Interesting you say that about hickory, didn't find that at all, but Im all for experimenting
Well I tell you what, I think that you could love salmon again. When we have friends over and we put out trays of various sausages, cheeses and crackers with some fine home made wine, the candied salmon disappears faster than rabbits at a running of the hounds.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:04 PM

Current Attachments (86.3 KB)
image.jpg (86.3 KB)
Smoked some lake trout this week for the first time didn't know it was so good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-20-2014, 06:04 PM

Sorry didn't see your last question.

My dry rub was:

Roast Rub (I used it on some chicken thighs too and they came out great!!!):
1 TBSP Garlic powder
1 TBSP Onion powder
1 TBSP Black pepper
1 TBSP Kosher salt
1 TBSP Paprika
1/8 TBSP Cayenne pepper

last minute I did add some brown sugar. I also smeared yellow mustard over the roast prior to putting the rub on, really helped everything adhere, works great. The ym evaporates with no taste to the meat, got that tip off one of the smoking forums
Old 01-20-2014, 06:06 PM

Looks good pixel!!! My favourite wood for beef is maple or oak. I usually mix both.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:34 PM

Looks great
Old 01-20-2014, 06:42 PM

Sweet set-up.
How does the AMNPS produce the initial smoke?
Is it a tealight candle like the Pro Q?
http://www.dnrsausagesupplies.ca/pro...f860b3980de89b
Old 01-20-2014, 07:08 PM

That looks awesome!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-20-2014, 07:10 PM

Looks good. Going to haul my smoker out this week.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Banned

Cool

Mmmmmmmmm smoked critter mmmmm so you do care packages. Lol.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:49 PM

Default Hot off the smoker

Didn`t know you could cook ! When is supper ? Looking forward to more recipes !
Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 PM

Pixel: Looks really good. Did you a sauce or anything for the pulled pork/beef effect?

Lance: Lake trout....now that's got me curious as yours looks pretty good.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:24 PM

I use a mini torch for 45 seconds. has a circle opening on both ends, put small flame thru there to light it, after 45 seconds you have a good bed of coalss smoking. It will stay lit till you blow it out. I let it go for 5 minutes, blow it out and put in the smoker and smoke away. Cats butt! A pic of it just after torching for 45 secs. 1 bed does about 3.5 hours unless you light both ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Sweet set-up.
How does the AMNPS produce the initial smoke?
Is it a tealight candle like the Pro Q?
http://www.dnrsausagesupplies.ca/pro...f860b3980de89b
Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 PM

I did for half, I have kids that like things plain so they did philly cheese steak sandwiches and I did the sauce for pulled beef effect, sloppy but soooooo tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Pixel: Looks really good. Did you a sauce or anything for the pulled pork/beef effect?

Lance: Lake trout....now that's got me curious as yours looks pretty good.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I use a mini torch for 45 seconds. has a circle opening on both ends, put small flame thru there to light it, after 45 seconds you have a good bed of coalss smoking. It will stay lit till you blow it out. I let it go for 5 minutes, blow it out and put in the smoker and smoke away. Cats butt! A pic of it just after torching for 45 secs. 1 bed does about 3.5 hours unless you light both ends

Did you notice or measure what kind of cabinet temps you were getting before adding cabinet heat?

Guess I am wondering if the dust produces less heat than pellets
Old 01-20-2014, 10:21 PM

To be honest I didn't. When I heat up my smoker, I put my pellets in the AMNPS and let it sit in the smoker till it heats up. remove any moisture out of the pellets, then I light it. I like this much better than what others do it putting it in the mircrowave to take the moisture out.

My smoker does a great job of keeping and holding heat. Was more concerned in using my digital built in thermometer that came with the unit as many complain big disparities between temps recorded and actual temps. So bought a separate wireless units and its actually within 2 degrees. so nice bonus. One does have to pay attn. though the actual temp on the rack where your meat is vs what cabinet heat states. I have about a 20 degree disparity between low cabinet heat and higher up in the cabinet, that's a considerable difference. Hope that makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Did you notice or measure what kind of cabinet temps you were getting before adding cabinet heat?

Guess I am wondering if the dust produces less heat than pellets
Old 01-20-2014, 10:33 PM

That looks like a nice tender piece of meat no doubt.
I was eye ball en your smoker. This weekend I took my chest freezer and put it out in the alley. A friend of my mine came over and told me I should make a smoker out of it since it has metal walls as opposed to a fridge which usually is plastic nowadays. So I "YouTube" making smokers and they have a "smoker daddy" that burns about 8hrs that one can install. Not sure about cost and labor comparison as to just going out and buy one as I have received a $200.00 gift card from WSS.

Bobby
Old 01-21-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
To be honest I didn't. When I heat up my smoker, I put my pellets in the AMNPS and let it sit in the smoker till it heats up. remove any moisture out of the pellets, then I light it. I like this much better than what others do it putting it in the mircrowave to take the moisture out.

My smoker does a great job of keeping and holding heat. Was more concerned in using my digital built in thermometer that came with the unit as many complain big disparities between temps recorded and actual temps. So bought a separate wireless units and its actually within 2 degrees. so nice bonus. One does have to pay attn. though the actual temp on the rack where your meat is vs what cabinet heat states. I have about a 20 degree disparity between low cabinet heat and higher up in the cabinet, that's a considerable difference. Hope that makes sense
Now -You have me craving beef.
Been meaning to do a All Day Mississippi Roast and this just pushed me to action.

Any chance of more pics of your smoker set-up including that 90 degree elbow?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:29 AM

my mouth is watering.

one day soon I hope to be to be able to smoke meats again. I have a deadly recipie for trout/salmon and home cured/smoked pork belly is far superiors to anything at the grocers.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro