Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-24-2008, 10:56 PM

Default H&R buffalo gun

I was looking at the Harrigton & Richardson buffalo gun which I beleive is in 45-70. Anyone know this rifle? I'm looking for a more "traditional " buff cal. for our bison hunt this year. The Sharps and Uberti are just too pricy for me. I also have an encore that I might get a 375 H&H or 45-70 barrel for but just doesn't look as nice.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:47 AM

Believe it or not, the H&R has been around just as long as the Sharps design. and is a VERY accurate rifle, as long as it is loaded properly - this goes with most of the BPCR rifle .
Blackman has one and I shot some really fine offhand groups with it last year.
They aren't fancy, but they are inexpensive , take down easily, and are accurate.
Cat
Old 07-25-2008, 07:07 AM

Yup.

One of the black powder geeks at my rod and gun club has one, but I think his is in some odd-ball calibre like .38-55 or some damned thing. He shoots deer with it using his own cast lead paper patched bullets and he has a ball with it.

To me the BPCR thing is about nostalgia and for some reason the HR just doesn't do it for me. The animals won't be able to tell the difference between a Sharps or a rolling block or an HR, but I can.

Only a fool buys a gun based solely on its looks though, so I guess we all know where that leaves me and my scholarly opinions.

Good luck on the buffalo hunt fella.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:00 AM

Thanks guys.

I'm completely new to the BPCR thing so any help would be appreciated. I've been carressing a sharps in Caroline supplies but I can't bring myself to pay the $2,400.00 for it. BUT just sticking a 45-70 barrel on my Encore doesn't do it for me either. Thot the H&R might be a happy middle ground. Haven't seen one or handled one except for pics so that's the next step I guess.

Ya Rusty I'm really looking forward to it. Just got back from a scouting trip to look at camp locations and stuff, so now I'm getting pumped.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:26 AM

One thing you will find is that even with the long barrel the H&R handles very well offhand.
I would not hesitate to hit the bush with one....
Cat
Old 08-01-2008, 11:29 AM

Well Cat I've got my name on a Uberti 1885 high wall on the condition it comes in time. That's a beaut of a rifle! Guy has had them on order since Feb. so I may still see if I can get an H&R.

Do you know anyone in central AB that sells ready made loads? I'd really like to start out that way as this is totally new stuff for me. I'll have to look up those 2 books you mentioned on the other BPCR thread.

Another thot - do you know anyone that might have something like this for sale? Not afraid to buy used from a reputable guy.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:36 AM

Default canon

What caliber did you choose? How about some pics?
Old 08-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Takes so long to get them that I'll have to take what he's already ordered. 45-70 but that's probably what I wanted anyway. Some pics. Want to add the creedmore sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1885_high_wall_ss_special_sport_rifle.jpg (11.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg callout_1885_high_wall_accessoryA_lg.jpg (69.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-01-2008, 05:37 PM

Default crow bar

Steve, thats quite a barrel, we can use it for an extra crow bar when we go on our Bison Hunt
Nice looking rifle now you need some of the buffalo loads. Maybe when I go down to Cabelas next week I'll ck some out for you.
I recieved your letter today, thanks.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearb8er View Post
Well Cat I've got my name on a Uberti 1885 high wall on the condition it comes in time. That's a beaut of a rifle! Guy has had them on order since Feb. so I may still see if I can get an H&R.

Do you know anyone in central AB that sells ready made loads? I'd really like to start out that way as this is totally new stuff for me. I'll have to look up those 2 books you mentioned on the other BPCR thread.

Another thot - do you know anyone that might have something like this for sale? Not afraid to buy used from a reputable guy.
If it's 45/70, you can buy factory ammo from most stores.
it is IMPOSSIBLE to build good custom loads without the rifle at hand, as the chamber needs measuring, etc.

if you happen to come to Drayton, Blackman and i can hook ya up Saturday Evening however....
Cat
Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 PM

Ya no problem Don. Sounds good on the ammo.

Cat I was shootin' my stickbow all weekend so I missed the invite for Sat. Don't have the gun yet so wouldn't have worked anyway. BUT seems that guys that like traditional archery also like "traditional gunnery." Met some guys that are doin' the BP thing every weekend and they're putting the word out to their freinds that I'm lookin. Already have one possibility! So may have a gun 'in hand' sooner that I expected.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearb8er View Post
Ya no problem Don. Sounds good on the ammo.

Cat I was shootin' my stickbow all weekend so I missed the invite for Sat. Don't have the gun yet so wouldn't have worked anyway. BUT seems that guys that like traditional archery also like "traditional gunnery." Met some guys that are doin' the BP thing every weekend and they're putting the word out to their freinds that I'm lookin. Already have one possibility! So may have a gun 'in hand' sooner that I expected.
By "Saturday" I meant the Saturday evening of the dDayton valley rifle rodeo!
However, I won't be there this year (Saskatoon trip), but blackman will.
You're going to love the Uberti!
Thay are fine firearms , the 40/65 I owned was a tack driver, as is Blackman's 45/70.
Cat