Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 AM

Default Stocked lakes

Hey all, I'm not looking for tips on how to catch stocked trout, I pretty much have that surrounded haha.

I am however wondering where the bite is. Not looking for anything huge but maybe just a few for the pan this weekend.

Looking for somewhere within an hour of Edmonton. Usually the Wetaskawin pond produces but wondering if anyone had some advice.

Again, not looking for huge fish or your secret hole but rather just a place to get a few for dinner :-)

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:17 AM

Seems the trout have been biting significantly less this year

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2017, 11:01 AM
Banned

Do you have a boat?
Old 07-21-2017, 11:23 AM

I posted under fly fishing forum how dead these stocked ponds seem this year. Nothing seems to be rising and bites down low are few and far between.

I am not sure if there was a bumper crop of minnows this year or what has changed!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:24 PM

No, I do not have access to a boat for this trip.

Sucks to hear that everyone is having a tough time!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
I posted under fly fishing forum how dead these stocked ponds seem this year. Nothing seems to be rising and bites down low are few and far between.

I am not sure if there was a bumper crop of minnows this year or what has changed!
I have found the same thing. Makes me wonder if they stocked as many fish as promised? Our local ponds, you don't even see any rising in the evenings this year.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
No, I do not have access to a boat for this trip.

Sucks to hear that everyone is having a tough time!
If you're willing to do a bit of traveling, fairfax is a good lake for shore fishing, at least it was the last time I went there. It's a really scenic trip so if nothing else you'll see some nice scenery.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:37 PM

https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/fis...king-maps.aspx
https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/fis...g-reports.aspx

A couple of the stocked lakes I have been to this year are hitting on Shrimp and pink power bait.

a couple of times I have had more luck with spinners and spoons over bait, anything pink/white red/white or blue/silver has been working
Old 07-21-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post

A couple of the stocked lakes I have been to this year are hitting on Shrimp and pink power bait.

a couple of times I have had more luck with spinners and spoons over bait, anything pink/white red/white or blue/silver has been working
If you don't mind, could you let me know which ones you have fished? if its a close kept secret don't bother but I would like to know where they're biting.

Thanks for the tip on spinners working, though!
Old 07-21-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
If you don't mind, could you let me know which ones you have fished? if its a close kept secret don't bother but I would like to know where they're biting.

Thanks for the tip on spinners working, though!
Twin Lakes/Mitchell/Chain Lakes
Old 07-21-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Twin Lakes/Mitchell/Chain Lakes
Thanks so much!
Old 07-21-2017, 04:21 PM

By the way, I checked out the map the one commenter shared. Helped a lot and by the looks of it Wetaskawin should be a fine location as any!

(looks like they added a couple dozen 50CM brooders in there too, so who knows maybe I'll get one for a picture as well as the pan!)
Old 07-21-2017, 05:18 PM

Default Stocked lakes

Quote:

Well that explains that. 2 of our local pond didn't get stocked this year. What a shame, you would think our provincial government could at least do that for taxpayers.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Well that explains that. 2 of our local pond didn't get stocked this year. What a shame, you would think our provincial government could at least do that for taxpayers.
I believe that whirling disease hit some of the trout hatcheries in Alberta this year and because of this, the Gov't had much fewer available trout to stock. Something like 60% of what they normally stock. They decided to leave some lakes unstocked, rather than stock every lake as normal but with fewer trout.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhoule View Post
I believe that whirling disease hit some of the trout hatcheries in Alberta this year and because of this, the Gov't had much fewer available trout to stock. Something like 60% of what they normally stock. They decided to leave some lakes unstocked, rather than stock every lake as normal but with fewer trout.
I think you are right about that. My buddy tried to order some trout for his dugout from his usual supplier, and was told he could only get 50 fish. They must have been trying to spread out their supply to as many customers as possible. I thought that might have had something to do with whirling disease.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:30 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I think you are right about that. My buddy tried to order some trout for his dugout from his usual supplier, and was told he could only get 50 fish. They must have been trying to spread out their supply to as many customers as possible. I thought that might have had something to do with whirling disease.
That and ponds that could get flooded by rivers were avoided, to prevent whirling disease from getting into more waters.
We haven't had an issue with fishing this year. Several hundred caught and released in various lakes. We were out on Mitch just a week ago, in the heat. Stil lots to catch, the sundown bite was awesome
Old 07-22-2017, 11:31 AM

Default Stocked lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
That and ponds that could get flooded by rivers were avoided, to prevent whirling disease from getting into more waters.
We haven't had an issue with fishing this year. Several hundred caught and released in various lakes. We were out on Mitch just a week ago, in the heat. Stil lots to catch, the sundown bite was awesome
That is good to know. Maybe they declined on some of the smaller, less fished ponds around the provincial. Seems to be the case in eastern Alberta. Glad to hear you are having some good fishing though. Have a great weekend.