Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 09:15 AM

Default I will tell what happens if you get an animal!!

I’ve been hunting for just over 30 years and all of those years I’ve been in a chair. I’m grateful that the province adopted a weapons discharge permit. It allows me to get out there and legally hunt from either a quad or my truck. I do hunt from a blind as well but that’s not always the best route on hunt such as Camp Wainwright. I usually hunt with an able body partner but by no means rely solely on them to deal with an animal once it’s down. As for the “logistics” I get out of the truck and do my part in retrieving field dressing, tagging, loading and later even processing the animal. For me, that’s some of the most rewarding parts hunting. I learned early on that ropes and winches are necessary tools. One thing to note about the weapons discharge permit is that it does have an expiry date and you do have to go visit fish and wildlife annually to get it renewed if you still require it and I personally do not have an issue with this.
image by dave bosch, on Flickr
IMG_1294 by dave bosch, on Flickr
IMG_1540 by dave bosch, on Flickr
butcher1 by dave bosch, on Flickr
Old 07-23-2017, 11:51 PM

Buckwheat, its pretty great that you are still able to get out hunting. I know its the norm for you to be in a wheelchair, but I am pretty impressed nonetheless.

Thanks for the info about the discharge permit.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
It can take a long time to get booked in for such surgery. Go into a clinic's waiting room once for an appointment with a surgeon. You'll be in line behind a pile of people that need translators to discuss matters. In most cases, you cannot get both joints replaced at once. You have to get one done, fully recover and then get the other one done. That can take up to several years. Once again, I wouldn't wish that on any of you guys.
I feel for the guy as well, not being able to hunt from his vehicle for a while until he got better ! But we all know it's cheaper to buy food than it is to hunt for it, unless you hunt in your backyard !
Old 07-24-2017, 02:48 PM

Buckwheat, I am in awe of your determination. Thanks for the insight to how you over come the challenges. I'm sure you just inspired a few to keep chasing critters.

Congrats on the many harvests i see on your wall. You just need some winter rubber or chains on those wheels
Old 07-24-2017, 03:32 PM

Buckwheat....you need one of these!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnrcr-rOcuw
Old 07-24-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
Alberta just lost another hunter ,reat feedback, thanks for the support good bye won't be back to this website
Aw c'mon goose, give us another chance! Remember this?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
Thank you to all that replied, what a great website!

cheers
Goose
It's been a week though. Maybe he's not coming back.

Last edited by Okotokian; 07-24-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:36 AM

Very impressive buckwheat wish the other fella had stuck around to chat with you. He did not say how extensive his injury was but knee replacement not fun at best of times. If he can still walk just not very good but can get in and out of truck I don't see how he could ask to have the same rights as you. Congratulations on making the best and the most of your cards. An inspiration to all and to be thankfull for what we have
Old 08-25-2017, 04:30 PM

If all I had was bad knees I'd drag myself to the blind. I'm straight powerchair these days. But I totally get the frustration.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
probably because you aren't permanently disabled, you can get your knees fixed and go hunting again. Where as someone who is actually permanently disabled would not. im assuming you aren't in a wheelchair if they are telling you that you have to use a quad. someone who is in a wheelchair might actually find this rant pretty offensive
Yup, borrow a quad, I ran into a fella once that hobbled into an area with a walker, rifle and pack on his back. Only a 100 yards from a road but far enough to set up and enjoy a day in the woods etc. Where there is a will there is a way.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-26-2017, 09:03 AM

Awesome thanks for sharing. Hope to see some more pics from you this season too!

LC