Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-19-2017, 07:35 PM

Default Cultivation Permit Question

So some areas i want to hunt i was looking at the iHunter app and there is a couple cultivation permit spots on crown land i want to check out. One area its about 10 quarters of crown land bordered by private land but in one part the private farm land field encroached onto crown land thus having his crops there on his private land and crown.

With my interpretation he has no occupational rights to that land, only can plant and harvest his crop & i could for example take my self climbing tree stand on the edge of that portion of the field and hunt it whenever i want because it says no contact info is required
Old 07-19-2017, 07:50 PM

Well you could hunt the sliver of crown land that his crops push onto at least thats how i understand it. The private land however you have to stay off with out permission. And i hunter saying that no contact needed is not considered permission as they arent the land owner. Could be wrong as i dont hunt that type of area myself.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
Well you could hunt the sliver of crown land that his crops push onto at least thats how i understand it. The private land however you have to stay off with out permission. And i hunter saying that no contact needed is not considered permission as they arent the land owner. Could be wrong as i dont hunt that type of area myself.
yes i was only talking about hunting the part that is on crown land, i would 100% stay off the private part.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:49 PM

I think you could though there are special allotments for farmers. Though i would suggest staying off his crops even if you are legal to hunt there if you make him mad hes under no obligation to give you acess should your wounded game pass over to his private land.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:43 PM

Lightbulb

I'd suggest making pleasant and respectful contact and humbly requesting permission. This may get you access to much more land as well as many more potential benefits such as: ability to recover Game wherever it may go, permission to Hunt other species (Waterfowl for example) in future, not having to worry about your question in the original post and one never knows... You might even get access to tags you otherwise couldn't have had (land owner delegate or depredation license). No harm in trying! No need to be shy.

P.S. - You may even make a good new friend or few!

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 07-19-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Adding P.S.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
I'd suggest making pleasant and respectful contact and humbly requesting permission. This may get you access to much more land as well as many more potential benefits such as: ability to recover Game wherever it may go, permission to Hunt other species (Waterfowl for example) in future, not having to worry about your question in the original post and one never knows... You might even get access to tags you otherwise couldn't have had (land owner delegate or depredation license). No harm in trying! No need to be shy.

P.S. - You may even make a good new friend or few!
The thing with cultivation permits they provide zero info on anyone or anything because they have no "Occupational Rights" & it is treated as "Vacant public land (Public Access)"
Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorealBucks View Post
The thing with cultivation permits they provide zero info on anyone or anything because they have no "Occupational Rights" & it is treated as "Vacant public land (Public Access)"
Correct but usually these slivers are cut off by a waterbody or some other type of hinderence so if you did want to figure out who the landowner is it is usually the fellow that is butted up right to it. At least that's what I've found in the past at least. The only real issue is usually around getting into them without crossing private land I've found. Kind of like a few DU sites down south.
Either way good luck with the hunting.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:49 AM
Gone Hunting

In Alberta there is no such thing as a cultivation permit for crown land.
Here we have farm development leases.

The same rules apply to all leased land as apply to grazing leases.

http://aep.alberta.ca/forms-maps-ser...al-Aug2014.pdf

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-21-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
In Alberta there is no such thing as a cultivation permit for crown land.
Here we have farm development leases.

The same rules apply to all leased land as apply to grazing leases.

http://aep.alberta.ca/forms-maps-ser...al-Aug2014.pdf
There are cultivation permits in Alberta.

Top of page 3

http://aep.alberta.ca/forms-maps-ser...Apr28-2017.pdf
Old 07-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post
There are cultivation permits in Alberta.

Top of page 3

http://aep.alberta.ca/forms-maps-ser...Apr28-2017.pdf
Which is part of a farm development lease, and on a map it would be identified as a farm development lease, not a cultivation permit. Which is what I meant.
I didn't want to get into the specifics of farm development leases. That adds nothing and can be confusing for many.

It is still a lease and for public access, is dealt with as any lease, which was my point.

The reason cultivation permits are not listed on maps is because they are one year only and part of a farm development lease. Which I believe is another word for homestead. I might be wrong about that.

I do know that when my brother filed on his homestead, he had to get a farm development lease before he could clear the land.

Is that complicated enough for you?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-22-2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Which is part of a farm development lease, and on a map it would be identified as a farm development lease, not a cultivation permit. Which is what I meant.
I didn't want to get into the specifics of farm development leases. That adds nothing and can be confusing for many.

It is still a lease and for public access, is dealt with as any lease, which was my point.

The reason cultivation permits are not listed on maps is because they are one year only and part of a farm development lease. Which I believe is another word for homestead. I might be wrong about that.

I do know that when my brother filed on his homestead, he had to get a farm development lease before he could clear the land.

Is that complicated enough for you?
Exact copy from the Ihunter app

Type: Cultivation Permit

Specific Access Conditions For This Disposition:
A Cultivation Permit give the leaseholder exclusive rights to cultivate or crop an area but non-exclusive occupation rights. The area is treated as Vacant Public Land (public access) when no development is occurring or is likely to occur within 90 days.

Leaseholder Conditions As Approved By The Minister:
No recreational management plan, restrictions, prohibitions or terms and conditions of use have been established by a Local Settlement Officer or Director

This is exact word for word as the other "Cultivation Permit" i looked at too.