Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-13-2017, 06:33 PM

Default What would be in your pack?

I'll be taking a shot at an early season archery hunt for bull moose in the last week of August. I'm looking at this more as a "reconnaissance in force" as it's my first attempt in this area for moose and I should be able to draw a special moose tag next year, which would give me more time. But i am still planning for success.

My question is, apart from what might be standard camping/hunting gear, what piece of kit might not be so obvious, but that you would recommend to bring along?

I just want to make sure I won't be left in the lurch or leave something out.

It will be a solo hunt, sleeping in the truck or within 3 three miles of it, but I do have packing help lined up - friends will be about 2 hrs away including time it would take to get to an area with cell service to make the call. I will be ready to handle the job solo if needed.

My main hunting spot will start off about 1.5 to two miles from where i can get a vehicle in.

I'm pretty excited for this and any advice at all will be much appreciated.

BMD

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2017, 06:44 PM
Banned

Water, my snacks/ meals, jet boil, maybe some bug spray, optics of some kind (binos or spotting scope), my spot beacon, a sweater maybe.

2 miles is pretty close you don't need to bring much. Realisticly I may not even bring that much.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
Water, my snacks/ meals, jet boil, maybe some bug spray, optics of some kind (binos or spotting scope), my spot beacon, a sweater maybe.

2 miles is pretty close you don't need to bring much. Realisticly I may not even bring that much.
Thanks! Whatever I have will need to be in the truck or in my pack and space will be somewhat limited as the truck will also be my likely sleeping quarters for at least half the trip.

In my scouting I've found a nice spot about 1.5 miles from where I can drive in, but from there I will move and camp as needed.

Thanks again for the response!

Old 07-13-2017, 06:55 PM

High quality meat bags
I use tag bomb bags, but you'll want the big ones
Citric acid powder to keep the flys off
Rope
YouTube vid on guttless method , you'll want to be fast in the early season and get the bones out to help kool the meat faster

Flag tape to mark your kill , don't need to waste time looking for it after you go to call
Old 07-13-2017, 07:06 PM

just a heads up if you have been building priority towards a moose draw i think that buying a general tag for archery resets your priority. not sure for sure someone else could probably clarify. it would suck to lose 5 years of progress for 1 week of bow hunting imo.

as for items i say fire starting tools, a knife, rope, compass, map, and water purifying tablets. thats pretty much the bare minimum you'll need to survive if things turn ****ty out there. if moose down call your buddies you'll need all the help you can get
Old 07-13-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman93 View Post
just a heads up if you have been building priority towards a moose draw i think that buying a general tag for archery resets your priority. not sure for sure someone else could probably clarify. it would suck to lose 5 years of progress for 1 week of bow hunting imo.
Nope 👎 not true
Old 07-13-2017, 07:16 PM

aww i didn't buy an archery tag for 3 years to build up my priority
Old 07-13-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:

as for items i say fire starting tools, a knife, rope, compass, map, and water purifying tablets. thats pretty much the bare minimum you'll need to survive if things turn ****ty out there. if moose down call your buddies you'll need all the help you can get
Thanks for the heads up! I looked into that and a general tag won't reset priority - your right, it wouldn't be worth it.

Just wondering how much citrus powder I should have ready and how do you deal with it once it's out of the field? Do you wash it off or would I loose it all just butchering and trimming.

I'm decent at the gutless method - got some practice in on my and a friend's deer last year. I still like to field dress first as it doesn't take too long (moose solo may be a different story), it removes a significant amount of heat, imo and I like to get the heart and liver anyways.

Thanks guys for the help so far!

Something clicked today and I went from 0 to 60 in anticipation of this hunt, even though I've been planning it since the end of last season.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:22 PM

i dropped one in hot weather and started a fire to keep the bugs away it helped alot.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
aww i didn't buy an archery tag for 3 years to build up my priority
Haha, don't feel too bad. I have a hard time making heads or tails of some of the regs and rules surrounding draws and seasons - I find the way they are written and presented I'm never 100 per cent sure I've got all the info so I tend to ask a lot of basic questions at the f&w office and err on the side of caution if I'm not sure.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:27 PM

I buy a bag at the health food store , and have a little spray bottle
I keep about an oz in my pack you might want 2 or 3 for a moose
I put an oz in the spray bottle n mix with water , (about 1 oz to 300-400ml)

This will not hurt the meat , most of the outer layers get trimmed anyways but as the meat bleeds the ph will rise and you'll have to spray more
If flys are landing on the meat bags after the meat is in the bag spray the bag
Old 07-13-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarliesDonkey View Post
Haha, don't feel too bad. I have a hard time making heads or tails of some of the regs and rules surrounding draws and seasons - I find the way they are written and presented I'm never 100 per cent sure I've got all the info so I tend to ask a lot of basic questions at the f&w office and err on the side of caution if I'm not sure.

haha yeah been hunting for my whole 24 year of life and still learning! i'll remember next time i don't get drawn. this year i'll be using a rifle though
Old 07-13-2017, 07:57 PM

Lightbulb

Don't forget or neglect your Game Processing gear (knives/edges, fresh blades if you use the interchangeable scalpel style blades - field sharpener)! I am unfamiliar with the specific area you are Hunting, yet if the terrain allows consider a means of meat conveyance - Know how to build a travois if applicable or perhaps a Game Cart of some type may help.

Happy Hunting and best of fortune!
Old 07-13-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
haha yeah been hunting for my whole 24 year of life and still learning! i'll remember next time i don't get drawn. this year i'll be using a rifle though
Best of luck this season! I'm really excited to do a bow hunt that doesn't involve a tree stand. Been humming an hawing over a spot and stalk hunt for a while and this will be my first proper attempt.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:27 AM

As mentioned, taking care of the meat is something you should be prepared for, particularly in the early season.

I always carry game bags, and use bomb bags as someone already noted. Cheesecloth bags let in too many flies, wasps and ants. The bomb bags (even large pillow cases can work for the purpose), or something like them, are far better.
You mention having used the gutless method on a couple of deer. Works great on larger animals and you can still access the heart, liver, tenderloins, etc. at the end of the process. If you haven't dealt with a large animal, such as a moose, before you'll find the gutless method is absolutely the best way to deal with them. And, if you're by yourself, rope will be an essential. Using it to tie up hooves, etc. as you work on the carcass will be a huge help. Otherwise you might feel like you've been run over by a moose when you're done!
Old 07-14-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarliesDonkey View Post
Best of luck this season! I'm really excited to do a bow hunt that doesn't involve a tree stand. Been humming an hawing over a spot and stalk hunt for a while and this will be my first proper attempt.

and to you as well! it's never easy to bow hunt. in my limited experience with early season moose my best advise is to have a nap at lunch. the days are really long it can be grueling.

also should i mention the meat? haha its illegal to let it go bad
Old 07-14-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
and to you as well! it's never easy to bow hunt. in my limited experience with early season moose my best advise is to have a nap at lunch. the days are really long it can be grueling.

also should i mention the meat? haha its illegal to let it go bad
Absolutely - the reason I haven't done this in the past is because I was not sure I could handle a moose solo if everything went wrong and no back up showed up to help me pack it out.

But with more experience behind me now I'm up for it.

The only reason I'm doing this is for the meat - I have very little concern about the size of the rack, just want to fill my freezer and learn as much as possible along the way.

While I've got friends lined up to help me pack out, I've learned form experience not to 100 per cent count on the cavalry to show up.

If I'm not confident I can handle the work that will result from it, I won't take the shot.

BMD
Old 07-14-2017, 04:39 PM

Duct Tape because... if the women don't find you handsome they'll at least find you handy.
Super Glue -Great for cuts and light to carry
Rope or para cord as mentioned
Come-along In case you bury the truck or need to move the moose
Tarp -makes an easy shelter if you need it and is lightweight
Victory Cigar? Maybe... if you are in to that kind of thing...
Old 07-22-2017, 08:20 AM

Episode 4 of our podcast we cover whats in the day pack. It should give you some ideas...

But if you don't want to listen to it, here's a few items I'd be bringing:
Razor knife with several extra blades,
Synthetic game bags- I use home made nylon ones but there are a few available online, Caribou, BOMB,
rope- I got some from Princess auto that's orange with reflective strip, doubles as flagging tape in a pinch-$10 for 50'
Also, I carry two little pullys- for rigging up a block and tackle. Sure as anything, that moose will fall in a clump of alders or willows and you'll want to shift him a bit.
A small hand saw would be a good thing too. Sometimes I carry a Gerber bone saw, it's blade is only about 7" but you can use it to cut saplings if needed.
Better bring a good headlamp and extra batteries too.
Plenty of water- you're going to be working your butt off for hours!

Good luck on your moose hunt and have fun.

Cheers
John
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 07-22-2017, 08:41 AM

Default Don't forget the load hauler

I forgot the most important item to bring, a pack for hauling out meat.

There are several options for you with packs, depending on how much of this type of hunting you think you'll be doing, and of course your budget.
Cheapest-Cabelas/BPS external frame load hauler. $100-$150 ish.
On a budget- used kijiji internal frame backpacking pack like a 70L. $200-300 ish.
An actual load hauler hunting pack. Maybe find a used one on this forum? Or get a new one. They aren't cheap but if you've ever hauled meat in one, you'll know that they're worth the bucks. There are several good brands to look at.
Kufaru, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, EXO, Stone glacier.

2 miles may not seem like much of a hike, until you're on your third trip with 100+lbs on your back.
May as well throw some trekking poles on the list too.

OR, BUY A QUAD! LOL.

Cheers
John
Old 07-22-2017, 09:47 AM

For me bug repellent, bottled water and some paper towel for emergency bathroom stops and to clean my hands after dressing the animal.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:17 PM

If you go to our Facebook page we have our complete gear list online with weights for each item. Highlander Hunting page on Facebook

Last edited by HIGHLANDER HUNTING; 07-22-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:24 PM

Bring an extra release. I've never had to use my second one on a trip but in the event you do you'd be wish you brought one.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck duck goose View Post
Duct Tape because... if the women don't find you handsome they'll at least find you handy.
Super Glue -Great for cuts and light to carry
Rope or para cord as mentioned
Come-along In case you bury the truck or need to move the moose
Tarp -makes an easy shelter if you need it and is lightweight
Victory Cigar? Maybe... if you are in to that kind of thing...
Please do not use "super glue" for injuries is is NOT the same as medical glue. The product you want to buy is called dermabond. Super glue can give people severe burns that can require skin grafts to fix and has chemicals in it that should not be used inside your body. It's also not elastic and the wound may split back open over time.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Please do not use "super glue" for injuries is is NOT the same as medical glue. The product you want to buy is called dermabond. Super glue can give people severe burns that can require skin grafts to fix and has chemicals in it that should not be used inside your body. It's also not elastic and the wound may split back open over time.
Hmm, I took an advanced wilderness first aid course three years ago. The instructor was the person who said Krazy glue was developed for the US military to use on cuts.
Never had a need to use it on a cut, however have got in on my hands before, with no burns or anything bad other than two fingers stuck together.

Not saying you're wrong, but do you have medical training?

Cheers
John
Old 07-22-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
Hmm, I took an advanced wilderness first aid course three years ago. The instructor was the person who said Krazy glue was developed for the US military to use on cuts.
Never had a need to use it on a cut, however have got in on my hands before, with no burns or anything bad other than two fingers stuck together.

Not saying you're wrong, but do you have medical training?

Cheers
John
I am not a doctor.

There are issues with using super glue, if it's a heavy bleeding cut the glue likes to wash out and dosnt give a good seal the bleeding needs to be stopped before you can glue it well. When it contacts Loose fibers it can heat up if you where layering cotton bandages over a wound that the glue didn't seal or it came in contact with your cotton or wool clothing there could be issues. If it loses its seal and dries out it won't be there when you need it (this happened to me in my first aid kit before I stopped using it) If you want to get away from glues for gushers or deep cuts mec sells a quick clot product that stops bleeding fast.

http://www.krazyglue.com/faqs/was-kr...s#.WXPsHbFyahA Even the manufacture dosnt want it to be used to seal wounds.

You guys could probably do an entire podcast on back country first aid packs. A few of my old army buddies still roll around the bush with Israeli Bandages quick clot and cat tourniquets.

Last edited by Dubious; 07-22-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:58 PM

First aid kit with tensor bandage
Old 07-23-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
I am not a doctor.

There are issues with using super glue, if it's a heavy bleeding cut the glue likes to wash out and dosnt give a good seal the bleeding needs to be stopped before you can glue it well. When it contacts Loose fibers it can heat up if you where layering cotton bandages over a wound that the glue didn't seal or it came in contact with your cotton or wool clothing there could be issues. If it loses its seal and dries out it won't be there when you need it (this happened to me in my first aid kit before I stopped using it) If you want to get away from glues for gushers or deep cuts mec sells a quick clot product that stops bleeding fast.

http://www.krazyglue.com/faqs/was-kr...s#.WXPsHbFyahA Even the manufacture dosnt want it to be used to seal wounds.

You guys could probably do an entire podcast on back country first aid packs. A few of my old army buddies still roll around the bush with Israeli Bandages quick clot and cat tourniquets.
Maybe we will do a Backcountry first aid podcast sometime down the road. Mike's got some advanced training and professional experience in that field too.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hmmm within three miles of the truck, sharp knife, toilet paper, matches, bologna sandwiches with mustard and a thermos of coffee...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-25-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hmmm within three miles of the truck, sharp knife, toilet paper, matches, bologna sandwiches with mustard and a thermos of coffee...

Cat you hunt like I do .
Hunted for sheep for many years until I shot one .
If it does not fit in my pocket it did not come along.

I still Laugh Out Loud when people carry a day pack .