Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2019, 07:09 PM

Default General Tag Regs

Hi. I purchased a general White tail and Mule Deer tag this year and can't seem to find the restrictions as to where one is allowed and not allowed to hunt for these deer. Contacted an office and they referred me to Albertaregulations.com which is the wrong site and used .ca instead. It's the same content as previous years and doesn't state what WMU's you can't hunt in. Anyone able to assist with info on this?
Old 10-26-2019, 07:12 PM

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/

Or if you have an iPhone download the iHunter app it is really easy to use tells you what is open and when

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2019, 07:39 PM

Go to the online regs, and find the wmus that you want to hunt, and see what is open without a draw tag
There aren't a lot of wmus where a mule deer tag is valid for the general season. Most wmus require a draw tag for mule deer for the general season.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-26-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:49 PM

When looking at the wmu for whatever you are hunting, if a black square appears "Indicates seasons that apply only to hunters with applicable Special Licences. Refer to the 2019 Alberta Hunting Draws booklet for details."
Old 10-26-2019, 07:49 PM

Default Deer Seasons

For Mule deer you can likely only hunt some of the 400 Mountain WMUs or way up north Whitetail will be more available but for the most part you will need to get access permission ahead of time. I am assuming you are new to hunting at least in Alberta, make sure where you are hunting is open for general as a lot of the WMUs require a special draw license for that zone...... Good Hunting
Old 10-26-2019, 07:53 PM

This is the page you want.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:21 PM

From what I understand, and probably the case most of the time when people ask about general tags and where to hunt, the problem is actually with looking at the right place and the right thing.

Go here: http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...ason-wmus.html

Find what area you want to hunt in and click or tap on it. For an example, I am on my phone, so I tapped on Foothills WMU Seasons highlighted on the image below:

That took me to the page where I can see open seasons for all big game in Foothills by management units. The black square indicates a draw tag is required for the particular species; no square indicates a general tag:

On the image above, you can see that to hunt mule deer in 310, 312, 334, 336, 348 you need a draw tag during the general season (what people call rifle season) November 1 - November 30, or a general tag for archery season September 1 - October 31. Whitetail deer is not on draw in any WMUs due to the lack of a black square and you can buy a tag over the counter and hunt according to the open seasons as described above.

Now pick the zone you want hunt in and see when and what you can hunt without a draw. You can ask here if you have any further questions or still not sure about your interpretation of what you see and I am sure someone will reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EB3EA418-68C6-41BB-ADB2-9DF6E594B524.jpg (51.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 1DDC6CF5-727D-4ADA-98D3-5F430E6C7063.jpg (28.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 10-26-2019, 10:25 PM

I should say depending on the part of the province you are in this is the page. What’s the nearest town to your area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
This is the page you want.

Tags
general tag, mule, white tail