Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-26-2019, 04:45 PM

Default Latest email re: NAFA & SAGA

My Account | Auction

October 26, 2019

Dear NAFA Wild Fur Consignor,

Our discussions with SAGA to collaborate on a wild fur collection and sale continue, however there appear to be hurdles that may be difficult to overcome. At this point in time, we are not in a position to guarantee a wild fur collection in 2020.

We are disappointed and saddened with the current situation and remain steadfast to find a viable way forward for our loyal and dedicated shippers and buyers. We will keep you informed of further developments and more details on paying outstanding prompt payments from August as they arise.

We are very sorry to all our wild fur shippers for this unimaginable outcome.

Sincerely,

Douglas Lawson
President & CEO
Old 10-26-2019, 05:23 PM
AO Sponsor

I think that is a confusing way to say the game is over.

My deepest apologies to all of our shippers, and to all NAFA shippers in fact, today is a sad day.

We will have some very good options going forward, but today is not the time for that.

Last edited by Marty S; 10-26-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:31 PM
Banned

Oh boy. Who has fur in there? I’m not too worried about my two fox but still.

I’d feel more comfortable if FHA issued a news release stating that they can handle the influx of wild fur. Maybe a little reassurance that all of the big buyers will be there for auctions too.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Oh boy. Who has fur in there? I’m not too worried about my two fox but still.

I’d feel more comfortable if FHA issued a news release stating that they can handle the influx of wild fur. Maybe a little reassurance that all of the big buyers will be there for auctions too.
X2 I have a 2 dollar coon left there so also not worried, you gotta think fha is either licking their lips or crapping their pants either way be nice to hear which one.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:19 PM

Default Nafa & saga

What about our 2019 season catch of coyotes then stopping into first or second week of February 2020 , those coyotes caught from January 2020 to first or second week of February will not be able to be moved/sold by NAFA according to what is being said & a person would then have to ship to FHA ? if they are able & not in trouble as well .
Old 10-26-2019, 08:05 PM

Default Nafa & saga

More I think about the situation , we all know NAFA has been working on working out a better situation for themselves & all shippers but is there more behind all of this . This has obviously been going on for quite sometime & doesn't happen overnight & is finally come to a head . Someone with deep pockets like supporting the Anti's with all the negativity about wild fur & fur in general . Some well high end business's are no longer going to carry wild fur or fur garments in there stores because of the bad negativity & the uneducated information . ? I hope this is not the case of deep pockets some how finally effecting the Auction Houses , because there might be still the demand for our wild fur but for how long is the big question because if the Auction Houses get effected in a big way we all could be screwed . Very bad news indeed .
Old 10-26-2019, 09:30 PM

What about all are membership moneys?
Old 10-26-2019, 09:52 PM

I have a 550 dollar bounced cheque FML!
Old 10-26-2019, 10:26 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post

We will have some very good options going forward, but today is not the time for that.
These would be non NAFA options. I don't believe NAFA will exist shortly.

Just to clarify... clarifying so people don't think NAFA has good options for us going forward.

(Piker, I had to look up the FML... and I still don't get it!)
Old 10-26-2019, 11:36 PM
Banned

Yesterday I heard a young fella at Halford’s talking about turning in fur that he “held over”. I mentioned to him that there was concern about the future of NAFA and he might want to hold off for a bit. Bad timing or what? I’m sure that he’ll get his fur back though
Old 10-27-2019, 11:16 AM

We all have to remember who owns NAFA and besides the wild fur shipping council it’s not us trappers.

They are owned by a group of fur farmers who have just saved themselves.

My guess is SAGA will support them for a couple years to pelt out and then NAFA will officially disappear.

It’s FHA or local for us. First time I wish we had county buyers like the states. Although they will be hurting too.

Damn shame it went this way and hoping guys get there checks honoured. For fur NAFA has held over would not be holding my breath to get that back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2019, 12:14 PM

A vacuum may exist for awhile but new options will come out of this. It's capitalism after all and there is a market for wild fur.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:50 AM

Default Nafa

It is hard to believe that we can loose a company ( Hudson Bay/NAFA) that was established in 1670. NAFA may also have been impacted by the Bay going to private shareholders a couple months back. If a 350 year old organization cannot stay in business who can??
Old 10-29-2019, 10:11 AM

Default FHA Press Release

pressreleaseOCT28.pdf
Old 10-29-2019, 01:03 PM

Groenwold who is a big fur buyer in the states released a statement that they would be expanding into Canada and watch for updates. That's interesting. Few people licking their lips now that nafa is done.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Groenwold who is a big fur buyer in the states released a statement that they would be expanding into Canada and watch for updates. That's interesting. Few people licking their lips now that nafa is done.

Yeah heard him talking on a podcast on trapping house or something like that. They are now shipping skins direct to Thailand for tanning and then shipment to China (avoids the tariffs)

They are also saying that they could care less about put-up. They buy the skin in the round, green or put up and grade after it’s been tanned. Makes since in a way since that’s what the end user is going to be using.

Of course they pay a little less for it in the round and green. Some guys love them. Cash at the truck and you can walk if you don’t like the deal.

Odd idea to me not having to put up the fur but there’s been some nights where I would have taken that deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk