Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 PM

Default New Rifle

Figured i'd get ready for gophers early this year. Its a CZ 452 varmint in 17 hmr wearing a Tasco Varmint/Tactical 6-24x scope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0014.jpg (58.7 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0015.jpg (118.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 AM

Yup, let us know how it works.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Banned

I have same gun...can hide 5 under a dime with it. You'll love it. Mine prefers hornady 17 grain v-max ammo...but still shoots the 20 gr xtp's around an inch for 5 shots pretty easy also.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington700 View Post
Figured i'd get ready for gophers early this year. Its a CZ 452 varmint in 17 hmr wearing a Tasco Varmint/Tactical 6-24x scope.
Can you let me know what you think of the scope? I'm planning on getting the same one for a Savage Mark II.

Ron
Old 02-14-2008, 03:37 PM

Default Range Report

Range Report

I decided to sight in the CZ today. Took it out to the farm and set up in the pasture, since I didn't feel like going out to the actual range. I fired from the prone using a varmint shooting swivel on solid ground.

First three were at fifty yards. They didn't even touch the paper. Odd, I thought, since I had the rifle boresighted at wholesale when i bought it. I moved to 25 yards and sent another three downrange. Nine inches high and eight inches right (Go figure, thanx wholesale, last time i have you boresight a scope for me.) I adjusted appropriately to the left and when sent another three, centered, nine inches high.

I moved to my fifty yard point. 3 rounds, centered eight inches high. I figured i'd leave it and move to one hundred yards, thinking that the 17 shooting high, would be about dead on at one hundred.

Three rounds at one hundred. Came off 1 inch right and SEVEN inches high.
I adjusted right and down until my groups were around three inches high then left it.

WHAT I LEARNED

The 17 hmr is a flatter shooting cartridge than my .308 and way flatter than the 22 lr. I had my reservations about the 17, when people were saying that they were hitting prarie rats at over 200 yards with it, but I now see that it is possible. I think I can safely say that my need for the 22 has ended.

Conditions
Sunny, 7 degrees C. I had a steady 10 mile an hour cross wind with gusts up to 15-20 moving at about 30 degrees across my firing path. It didn't really bother the 17 at 25-50 yards, but at one hundred yards my groups pushed left and opened up slightly. I will have to wait for a calm day and take it to the range to fine tune it.

Groups are as follows.

25 yards - less than 1/4 inch
50 yards - 1/2 to 3/4 inches
100 yards - one group slightly under 1 inch and one slightly over.

Ron
The Tasco scope worked like a dream. The only real problem I had was readjusting the parallax every time i moved. I found the optical clarity to be good at 6-12x, adaquate at 12-18, and then slighly below adequate at 18-24x
I believe if I was shooting at further ranges the quality would be better, but at 100 yards a 24x magnification is a bit much anyway. all the adjustments to the scope were crisp and responsive with the exception of the parallax which takes a bit of force to move it to longer distances. Tasco provides a hex key so i can now turn the targeting knobs back to zeros, having sighted the scope in. The true mil-dot reticle is a bit thick, but I find that with the bushnell I have mounted on my .308 as well.

I think the Tasco will do fine on a rimfire, but I would not trust it on any heavy recoiling firearm. I would also try not to subject it to any amount of abuse. That said, I think it was an excellent value for the features you recieve and would reccomend it for any rimfire or light 22 centerfire rifle.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:58 PM

i have the same scope on my 10/22, not the best in the world but i think it works very well for the price range. 2 years 100+ gophers 30+grouse and still works great,good deal as far as i am concerned on the tasco