Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:48 AM

Default P&D Prices?

I know there are several guys on this board who really support P&D in Edmonton, but i was looking at buying a Marlin lever-action rifle and found that the price there was $710 and and nosale and russells the same rifle was selling for $630. If i wanted to go to s.i.r in Winnipeg i could get the rifle for $595. Just wondering if anyone else out there has found there prices a bit high? I know customer support is good, but probably not worth paying that much for in my opinion.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:45 PM

Go in and tell Phil your story.
Sometimes you have to pay a little extra for service. Sometimes a extra few buck will go a long ways when it you need help down the road.
If you are looking to but on price and no service, then I would phone Winnipeg.

I see Phil from P&D has joined the AO board. I am sure if he reads this and you go see him he might make it worth your time.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-28-2008, 12:49 PM

I posted about this the other day. I just passed my firearm course and sent away for my PAL. I'm going to be buying a rifle for myself and one for my gramps. I want a tikka T3 lite stainless which is $699.99 in a lefty at wholesale and $850 at P&D. My gramps is a remington guy so I'm thinking of buying him a 700 SPS DM, it's $549 at wholesale and $625 at P&D. My first intention as a newbie who has no experience with any stores was to shop at P&D from the positive reviews here, but I'm not willing to give them an extra $225 for these two rifles, rather put that towards a scope for my gramps
Old 01-28-2008, 12:53 PM

Has anyone ever bought a rifle from s.i.r? Just curious about the shipping costs involved. Since i live just outside Red Deer, the extra cost for fuel to drive to one of the big cities may be more than the cost of shipping one of these rifles.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:02 PM

The cost in time and frustration for me to wait for an hour at WSS to pick up a box of bullets or keg of powder makes it worth paying a few bucks extra at P&D.

I'm a bit of a fairweather friend though. If it is off the shelf I occasionally go to WSS because I'm cheap. I don't need "service" for alot of things.

No comparison of the quality of the staff between the two places though.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:08 PM

Here is my main beef. I work in the golf industry as a supplier and I sell my products to each of my accounts at the exact same price. If the same is true in the gun industry it's foolish to pay more just because one place has "nicer" staff. Remember when McDonalds used to offer smiles for free , pretty sad people feel obligated to pay more in order to receive customer service in this industry
Old 01-28-2008, 01:14 PM

it is the half hour to one hour wait (ever been there during hunting season? )to have a look at anything behind the counter that is certainly worth a few bucks to me.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 PM

I guess for me in this situation, i don't need to go tire kickin' a bunch of different rifles. I now the make, model #. and calibre of the rifle i want. I can't really see spending a bunch of extra money to walk up to a counter, tell the guy what i want, then pay for it and walk out. As far as service goes, i doubt that if something happens that they will fix it there, probably just send it away to the same place evryone else does.I am sure they are a great store, i have only been there a couple of times looking at stuff, but can't really justify spending a lot more money for the same gun.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:36 PM

If we want the little guys to stay around they need support. Probly will get tougher on them when bass pro opens may even effect wholesale enough to not operate two stores in cowtown.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:04 PM

These are all real good points.....I have recently become a P&D Customer....and compared to wholesale...the service was outstanding!!!!

That being said, I was there on a VERY busy day just after Christmas, and waited about one and a half hours to have a scope mounted on a rifle I purchased that day and one mounted on a rifle I had brought in (I normally will mount a scope on my own, but due to being busy, I thought I would just pay to have it done since I was there).....The guys working there did everything in their power to work on my gun and still help customers in between.....if they would have JUST worked on my gun's, I would have been there 1/2 the time I was....BUT, I appreciate them trying to do their best to make EVERYONE happy with limited resources (Staff)....Over all I was satisfied with the experience, especially after watching the care and expertise that they take in mounting a scope....when your gun goes into the back room at wholesale...who knows what is happening....

But when it comes down to it....how much "extra" should good service cost? I agree that I am willing to endure more (Cost and time), if the service and expertise are there...but how much? To spend a $100 extra on the one and only rifle you plan on buying for the next few years and have a scope professionally mounted, rings lapped, bore sighted and everything set up perfectly for an addition $40.....I would say is an investment well spent! But what about the guy who buys 3 or 4 rifles a year, has the knowledge to mount bases, rings, and a scope.....is the extra $ justified???
Old 01-28-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleslie View Post
Has anyone ever bought a rifle from s.i.r? Just curious about the shipping costs involved. Since i live just outside Red Deer, the extra cost for fuel to drive to one of the big cities may be more than the cost of shipping one of these rifles.
Check their site, but I believe it is a flat $15 for orders over $250. Sure beats driving in that crap of weather out there today!

Also I have been shopping and found P&D to be about 20% overpriced. I took them off my list of places to shop.

Ron
Old 01-28-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
it is the half hour to one hour wait (ever been there during hunting season? )to have a look at anything behind the counter that is certainly worth a few bucks to me.
Perhaps it is the time of the year. I've been shoping around and I found the service and prices the poorest at P&D and Phoenix. It will probably come down to SIR or Wholesale.

Ron
Old 01-28-2008, 03:32 PM

Nothing worng with paying a little more to help the litte guy but 100 dollars more? Thats rediculous.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:10 PM

Even if you have to wait an hour to get a gun clerk, is your time worth $100/hr?

i am all for supporting the little guy when i can, but do not see why i should pay at least 10%, sometime 20% more, because the guys at the little store are "nicer" than they guys at the big store. If the guys at the little store want to stick around, they will price more competitively.

This is in no way a shot at P&D, just how i spend my money.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:15 PM

When I can order something from a store and know that it will be in my hands the next day or the morning after, i'm going there again.
I have waited literally weeks for stuff from other stores.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-28-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:43 PM

For me, there's a place for both extremes and everything in between. I shop at P&D regularly. To date, I've bought one new shotgun and one used rifle from them. They always give good service.

During the same time, I've purchased 15-20 guns elsewhere as well (all from different sources).

When it comes to accessories, I usually go to P&D because shipping costs would make it prohibitive to order outside of Edmonton. Guns, I buy based on a combination of condition and price (I prefer used guns to new guns, so it's not always a direct comparison even when two vendors have the same item.).

I spend a lot on guns and accessories, so I don't have a problem spreading it around and supporting a range of different suppliers and business models.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:51 PM

i found that p&d may be a little high on there gun prices. but there prices on every thing else is the same or cheaper. i'll pay extra for fast freindly service instead of beening egnored.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:53 PM

I have not been to P&D but Russells and Wholesale are not bad places to buy guns from. I personally think the service at Russell is pretty good (I never have to wait more than 5 minutes, ussually less) and the one time I had the rear sight break on a new marlin 1895 that I had bought from Wholesale about a month earlier I took it in expecting to have to get it shipped away and miss my new gun for several months as it happened they gave me a brand new one on the spot. That surprised me and I was very pleased.

The worst thing about wholesale is that it is real busy in the 11-7 period from Aug-Dec, probably because they have good prices. Their prices on new guns are only 10-15% more than the prices in great falls on most stuff, not bad.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:22 PM

sleslie ------------- SIR's website is www.sirmailorder.ca
Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 PM

Difference between 630 and 710 was 80 last time I checked and for the service they give, 80 bucks when the crunch is on is not much! Truth be known even if you buy else where Phil is still most likely to bail you out in the end.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 AM

My thots exactly DonnyBear!
Old 01-29-2008, 10:41 AM

Now i can understand a bit more Phil, thanks for the explanation
Old 01-29-2008, 11:09 AM

Very Good info Phil....

I know for a fact that in optics and the majority of the rest of your accessories (including ammo and reloading supplies) you are very competitive in pricing...plus it has been my experience that you have a way better track record of having stuff in stock....

Your information on the guns makes all the sense in the world....thanks for letting us in on that...Your willingness to explain the situation goes a long way in my books.....

As I mentioned, all my experience at P&D have been excellent and P&D will continue to be my first stop every time....
Old 01-29-2008, 11:34 AM

Go in - browse the bullet selection - grab a box - pay - go out.

2 minutes.

Don't change a thing.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
Go in - browse the bullet selection - grab a box - pay - go out.

2 minutes.

Don't change a thing.
I AGREE!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:46 AM

The .22 gopher gun (Savage) I'm looking at (with scope, rings, & bases) is $511 at P&D, $449 at WS, and $420 at SIR (including shipping). So that makes it about a 7% premium at WS and 22% at P&D. Phoenix couldn't even be bothered to give me an accurate price. They showed me a .17HMR, and said it probably would be about the same price range (over $500 - rifle alone).

Ron

Last edited by Ron AKA; 01-29-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:51 AM

Well there has been some great discussion on this post, as well as some better business knowledge on my part now. I guess i will be the bad guy who chooses price over service. I work way to hard for my money to give away $100 for virtually nothing in return ( in this situation anyways ). That would buy diapers for my little girl for a month. I know my business will not be missed as it sounds like a very busy store, and i will get my rifle elsewhere. I wish we had some competitive pricing here in Red Deer, Backcountry is a complete rip-off and Sportsmen's Den just doesn't have any stock on hand. Maybe Bashaw will be my next call, anyways, thanks guys
Old 01-29-2008, 12:08 PM

I'll refrain

Last edited by therealj; 01-29-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 PM

I agreed with your other comment therealj, I suppose having all the prices listed on the internet might eventually start to affect these guys that are doing a little gouging. It seems like only in Alberta do people prefer to pay more for something just to get a little service, anywhere else in Canada consumers just expect to get good prices as well as good service. I think the problem here is that stores don't need my business, they just expect to get it because i have a little money. Maybe someday the price and service will come hand in hand.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleslie View Post
I guess i will be the bad guy who chooses price over service. I work way to hard for my money to give away $100 for virtually nothing in return ( in this situation anyways ). That would buy diapers for my little girl for a month. I know my business will not be missed as it sounds like a very busy store, and i will get my rifle elsewhere.
$100 I'd go elsewhere too. Nobody said to buy EVERYTHING there. Try to get some primers at wholesale when they are busy. I'd pay an extra buck (sometimes) to not have to take a number.
Closed Thread