Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2018, 11:43 AM
Banned

Default Smart t.v. and Norton anti-virus?

I won a 65" smart tv a month back or so. I guess I can compute with it. Do you guys that have these kinds of t.v. use a anti virus program?

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:01 PM
Banned

There haven’t been a lot of attacks directed at Smart TVs yet in comparison to phones and similar devices. There was one that hit some LG TVs last year IIRC.. It’s just around the corner though, the attack surface of a phone and an android based tv are pretty similar.

The saving grace really is that there aren’t a whole lot of interactive apps for TVs that have hit a market share large enough to be worth focus attacks on. Everybody uses Netflix or Hulu and that’s about it. I think you will find that after you’re tried the web browser out a bit that’s how you will use it too.

I’d not even attach it to your network, if you want a smart app like features use a rokuor Apple TV. If that thing gets a crypto locker virus on it you throw it out, it’s not a $1000 bit of gear.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:59 PM

Don't download junk or no name apps and you'll never have a problem. Haven't had a anti virus program on any pc I've owned in last ten years. They are resource hogs that most ppl that pay don't even keep up to date.

On a tv most one the smart apps you use come preloaded
Old 04-21-2018, 05:04 PM

I wouldn't bother even if there is. Don't download anything with it (if even able) and you'll be fine. Not enough smart TVs, nor people using them to surf the web to make it worthwhile to create a ton of viruses.

I'm sure some know-it-all tech geek will correct me about that, but seems to me like it's fairly easy to avoid getting viruses. Don't open emails from unknown senders, don't visit sketchy websites, and don't download any files from non-reputable sources. Never had a virus come up in any scan once on this current laptop that is now in year 3 of use.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:10 PM

I would trade it for a taxidermy bill.... of course then again....maybe that's the trade off for the bill.......lol
Old 04-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
I would trade it for a taxidermy bill.... of course then again....maybe that's the trade off for the bill.......lol
Lol.