Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-27-2018, 10:34 PM

Default North Central Trout Rivers Not closing

CBC Article:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...plan-1.4546810

Looks like fishing bans aren't going through. I still hope AEP takes some steps to help the fisheries, as that is what we all want. Catch and Release on those areas, single hooks, shorter season etc.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:08 AM

Many of those rivers are de-facto catch and release as it is, and the seasons on some are pretty short as it is. June 16th to August 31st, or June 16th to Oct. 31st. Not a long season when you cut out the any pre-run off spring season. And plenty of rivers are in full blown run off and pretty un-fishable on opening day as it is.

If we want the AEP to do something, let's talk about those hanging culverts, breaching regulations and logging too close to the streambed, and road density. It's industry's turn to be more accountable and responsible. Tweaking fishing regulations may help, sure, but this is about priorities.

In my opinion, preservation and restoration of habitat should be priority #1 for AEP. Yes, I know, some of what I said is out of their purview / authority. Proper legislation is needed / over-hauled.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:21 PM

This is great news as I've been wanting to spend some time fishing the lower ram.

I've fished pretty much every portion of the ram but the lower reaches haven't been on my list until this year.

I'm glad they realize that a fishing ban is much lower on the list of issues related to fish populations.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:22 PM

Don't be counting your chickens before they hatch.
I received the following reply from the Minister that would seem to indicate that the only study they are doing is to determine what impact angling has on on the resource, and nothing about OHV, logging or mining's impact.

Thank you for your letter regarding your interest in fisheries management and the North Central Native Trout (NCNT) Recovery Program. I welcome the opportunity to provide the following information.
Environment and Parks is currently undertaking a third-party science review of the science and process for management of fisheries in Alberta. The NCNT Recovery Program will focus on addressing current habitat and angling-related threats as soon as possible, working within current Government of Alberta policies. It is important that we move forward with a program that is grounded in strong science, and supports broadly accepted management principles. Once this science review is complete, we will be engaging with the broader angling community to develop an improved understanding of management in our fisheries programs.
If you would like to learn more about fisheries management frameworks in Alberta and the work that we are undertaking, please visit aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fisheries-management.
Thank you for taking the time to write.
Sincerely,
Shannon Phillips
Minister
Old 04-05-2018, 10:33 PM

Thank You Jordan Pinkster for mentioning habitat. Alberta has no respect for their streams. There is no buffer between farming/industry and the streams. Imagine if all of Alberta's streams had 20m or better yet 30m buffer along them. Our waterways would be in much better shape.

It would be good for water quality, fish populations, bird population and all wildlife. Seems like a no brainer to me.