Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2017, 06:23 PM

Default BBQ brands

Looking for a new BBQ. Had a CT special that lasted 10 years and wasn't bad. Most guys I talk to say Broil King or Weber.

Who do you think makes a good BBQ that will last.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 08-13-2017, 06:39 PM

I love my Broil King, Barbeque Country in Edmonton is a great place, they have different brands.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:44 PM

I've owned more than a few BBQ's in my life time. Never had the money for a top end. In my price range, the burner was always the weakest link. Best advice I can offer is get the best burners you can afford. Now a days I don't even use a BBQ, fry pan does just fine.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-13-2017, 06:49 PM

Broil kings are not even close to the quality of a Weber. Had a top of line broil king and now a webber summit. I never ever would have guessed the webber would be such a noticeable difference in food quality and build quality. Webber has a 10 yr warrenty. My webber was a steal of a deal off kijiji but now, if this one dies i will buck up the $ and buy a webber again. I use my bbq probably 5 times a week during summer and 3 times a week in winter.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:56 PM

I've owned a Vermont Castings, and now a Napolean. Both great bbq's but my nod goes to the Napolean. I'll second BBQ Country in Edmonton, good selection and decent advice.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:54 PM

Ive got a weber been okay... Holds the heat really good but 2 years old and flame guards starting to go might be okay for a year or 2 more.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:26 PM

I agree with the moose, Broil King is not in the same league as a Weber or Napoleon.

I had Weber units and they were absolutely awesome. I recently purchased a Napoleon, again, a premium BBQ, made in Canada, solid and hears evenly and precisely.

Spend the money and get a Weber or Napoleon. You will never buy another cheap BBQ again.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:35 PM

Napoleon for the win. Hands down.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
I've owned a Vermont Castings, and now a Napolean. Both great bbq's but my nod goes to the Napolean. I'll second BBQ Country in Edmonton, good selection and decent advice.
I took the same path you did and agree wth you 100%.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:44 PM

Thumbs up Weber

About six years after the wife and I got married, we coughed up the big bucks and bought a Weber. After 18 years it was still going strong, but it was so badly rusted out inside that we trashed it just before we moved to BC (we didn't think it would survive the move).

Now we're on our second Weber. I've got my fingers crossed that this one will last 20 years.

Selkirk
Old 08-13-2017, 10:56 PM

Have a Weber and a Traeger. Given an ultimatum where I could only have one I'd take the Traeger. You can do WAY MORE with it.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:56 PM

Looking at a Weber Genesis 410

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 08-14-2017, 07:37 AM

Just be careful that the BTU are strong enough. I've seen lots of BBQ on sale, however the BTU are to small for the grill size. I think the rule is something like 100 BTU per sq inch or something like that.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Napoleon for the win. Hands down.
Mine is still going strong, cooks like a dream, best BBQ i've ever had!

Cheers
Old 08-14-2017, 10:50 AM

I got a real nice natural gas Broil King from Lowes a couple years ago. Hard to say how long it will last. I did get the stainless steel grills. I think a key quite frankly is just have a good cover and use it religiously.

Previous BBQ was a Crappy Tore special. It lasted a good while, was abused, and son is still using it.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:05 AM

Broil King, Napoleon or Weber. Can't go wrong with any of the three. Have had all of them in Natural gas or propane over the years. Pick the fuel, options etc then go from there. If you want real wood/Charcoal the choices are different.

The Weber is a lot more money for not that much improvement over the other two. I bought Weber when I got a smoking clear out deal that brought it down to the price of the others. I may get another Nat Gas Weber Summit as I know where there is a very little used one that may come up for sale. Outside of that I would buy the other two and am currently using a Nat Gas Broil King I got on sale 50% off at Lowe's 5 years ago. It will easily go another 10 or 15 years and I use it 5 days out of 7 year round, including a lot of rotisserie cooking.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:30 PM

I also give the Napoleon the thumbs up - Barbeque Country has a great selection but we bought our from Gemco Fireplaces - same price for the BBQ but they through in a couple of extras. I got the one with the searing grill on the side - it is really nice!
Old 08-14-2017, 02:35 PM

My best BBQ came from Home depot. Broil King I believe. Nice entry level cost and cooked awesome. On a CT one now and happy but can't recall the name brand.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:54 PM

Thumbs up Natural gas !

Whatever you get, make sure it can convert to Natural gas
Old 08-14-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfred View Post
I also give the Napoleon the thumbs up - Barbeque Country has a great selection but we bought our from Gemco Fireplaces - same price for the BBQ but they through in a couple of extras. I got the one with the searing grill on the side - it is really nice!
I've got that searing plate as well, freaking awesome. If you haven't tried it yet, invest in a sous vide contraption. I heard about it from a friend and talked it up enough at home that the wife got me the Anova one at Christmas. Didn't appeal to me at first, now I'm sold!! If the temp is right, you won't get a more evenly cooked, perfectly cooked steak or roast. Something about cooking meat in basically a hot water bath really threw me off, now I won't cook a steak or roast any other way. Finish it off on the sear plate for a nice brown cross hatch crust, inside the crust it's cooked perfectly from edge to edge. MMMMmmmmm!!!!!
Old 08-14-2017, 03:33 PM

I have been happy using my Big Green Egg all year long.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:45 PM

I've been running a 4 burner NG broil king for the past four years its been the best BBQ I've had. Hot enough to sear meat and I'm still able to control the heat for cooking on low, very even heat over the whole grilling surface,

Lots of good times with this BBQ

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-15-2017, 03:07 PM

10 plus years with a Vermont Casting but mine in made in China. Holding up and has 5 burners and rotiserre which I use.
Next will be a Napoleon.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:58 PM

Default Bbq

My BBQ is on death row and I will looking for a new one as well. Its lasted almost 15 years. (2 burners were replaced)
My questions is, are these models that were mentioned all natural gas, or propane? I've always liked the propane as it can be moved close to the back door in the winter. The closest access to a gas line is about 20' away. I would then require a long gas line.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
My BBQ is on death row and I will looking for a new one as well. Its lasted almost 15 years. (2 burners were replaced)
My questions is, are these models that were mentioned all natural gas, or propane? I've always liked the propane as it can be moved close to the back door in the winter. The closest access to a gas line is about 20' away. I would then require a long gas line.
Most go both ways can be converted either way my NG has a 20' hose. The advantage to NG is much cheaper to run, when cooking turkeys or slow cooked ribs and you never run out of gas. I used to think LP ran hotter than NG that's not true with my current BBQ.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:04 PM

I'm in the market as well, as my 12 year old Broil Chef is done in. I got it at Superstore, clear out end of season deal. Think I paid $400 for it and it certainly lasted longer than I thought it would. Now I think I'm going to upgrade. A lot. This is the one I have decided on, and I am one click away from ordering it.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01BMNEW1Q/...711JMU3M&psc=1

Ah, what the heck....*click*.

Seems like a good deal, a step up from the Napoleon Lex495 I almost ordered from Costco (the return policy at Costco almost got me, but I think the Pro series is heavier duty in every way, and only a couple hundred more).

https://www.costco.ca/Napoleon-LEX48...100249435.html

Did I do the right thing?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-15-2017, 06:19 PM

You will not be disappointed!

Old 08-15-2017, 06:29 PM
Banned

I run a Traeger which doubles as a BBQ and a smoker. But then again, I have a fire pit on which I really like to use for pork ribs and steaks. With the current dry weather here in southern Alberta, I haven't dared using the firepit, too risky. As such, the Traeger has been going steady.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:17 PM
Banned

I got sick and tired of wasting $400 on a BBQ every three years and bought a Weber with stainless grills and flavorizers. Best money I've ever spent in a BBQ. Not only will it outlast the cheap BBQ's ten fold, the food cooks so much more evenly.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:40 PM

Hey I will say this if u got a tight budget weber is good or ok I would say but if u are looking for lasting quality and something that is nice get a Saber if u need contact info for on I know a dealer that sold me one couldn't be happier and quality is better then weber it is also a not direct flame BBQ it is in my opinion way better then Webber see for your self

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk