Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Banned

Default RPAL Question

Do you need a range membership to renew your RPAL?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:00 AM

I believe you only need a range membership to own. I just got my Rpal and am not a member to a range yet.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:06 AM

If you have any restricted firearms registered to you, the CFO will not renew your PAL without a range membership.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you have any restricted firearms registered to you, the CFO will not renew your PAL without a range membership.
I agree that that is the rule - but I'm not 100% sure that's what many people on here have indicated.

I remember reading that a few guys on here either renewed for their RPAL without proof of range membership and were renewed without any issues, while others have been delayed as a result of the same.

There was a thread on this not long ago IIRC.

My guess is this is not consistent.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:41 AM

I renewed my rpal without membership but i also do not have any restricted guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Do you need a range membership to renew your RPAL?
Yes you need to have a range membership. It would be nice if the *****s would tell you this when you renew and let you attach your copy to your online renewal when you submit it. But oh no, they make you wait until you call them to check the status of your application. Then they tell you that they need a copy of the membership sent to them.
I am going through this very thing at this moment. :angry3 :
Old 04-19-2018, 09:44 AM

Many have reported that the CFO will not renew your Rpal if you don't have a range membership and/or restricted weapon registered to you. That they got asked for proof of range membership or their Rpal would not be renewed, only Pal. The complaint was that this isn't the law, but rather the CFO's (gov?, etc.) choice of how to operate.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:52 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Rpal

Hi if you are a collector. You do not have to belong to a range
Old 04-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies guys. I think it's easier to just buy a range membership than to try and claim collector status even though I never even use my restricted weapons.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:31 PM

Isn`t it wonderful and exciting that government employees and bureaucrats can now make,enact and enforce law in kanada ??:sHa_sarcasticlol :
Old 04-19-2018, 06:37 PM

FYI: the least expensive membership I've found that satisfies the CFO is having one with AHEIA, plus you help support all of their other good work. It's much cheaper than associate memberships at shooting ranges. AHEIA have a range, it's just I've never been to it.

http://www.aheia.com
Old 04-20-2018, 07:23 AM

I just reneed mine and beacuase I have restricted weapons I had to prove I had a membership. My son has no restricted weapons and also just renewed his. He did not have to have a memebership.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:26 PM

Cool.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvil1010 View Post
Yes you need to have a range membership. It would be nice if the *****s would tell you this when you renew and let you attach your copy to your online renewal when you submit it. But oh no, they make you wait until you call them to check the status of your application. Then they tell you that they need a copy of the membership sent to them.
I am going through this very thing at this moment. :angry3 :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Many have reported that the CFO will not renew your Rpal if you don't have a range membership and/or restricted weapon registered to you. That they got asked for proof of range membership or their Rpal would not be renewed, only Pal. The complaint was that this isn't the law, but rather the CFO's (gov?, etc.) choice of how to operate.

This is my experience. Already have a valid range membership on file that expires next year and they were faxed a copy of it last year when I got it back in March. Have bought restricted firearms since. My renewal came up. Sent it in Feb 12 online with nothing new to report. Checked every day. Saw March 13 it changed to Needing more information. Called them got transferred to the Alberta CFO office, stated they needed my range membership told them I have one and they have it on file. She checked. Oh yes here it is. Your renewal is now complete. Got the card a week later.

Had I not called it would have been another 2 or 3 weeks I'm sure while they mail out a form stating to send in **** they already have. But hey the country is safer right?

And it's only going to get worse.

The way I read it it's NOT a requirement to have an RPAL but whatever I need my renewal and I'm not going to take the summer off from shooting to argue semantics with them. I work for the Fed's I knows that's going to go nowhere.