Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 04:54 AM

Default Flashers

Considering a new flasher for this ice fishing season and have narrowed it down to two choices...Vexilar FLX28 and the Marcum M5 with the Lithium Ion Shuttle... Any suggestions as to which one?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey929 View Post
Considering a new flasher for this ice fishing season and have narrowed it down to two choices...Vexilar FLX28 and the Marcum M5 with the Lithium Ion Shuttle... Any suggestions as to which one?
How about skip the dedicated flasher and get a Lowrance or Humminbird Ice unit? 2D sonar gives you so much more information and makes it easier to distinguish structure & fish in weeds.

For the cost of a M5 you could get a heck of a Humminbird unit that you can use indoors / outdoors as well.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:01 PM

I haven’t used either model but I hear good things about the Vexilar units

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-15-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
How about skip the dedicated flasher and get a Lowrance or Humminbird Ice unit? 2D sonar gives you so much more information and makes it easier to distinguish structure & fish in weeds.

For the cost of a M5 you could get a heck of a Humminbird unit that you can use indoors / outdoors as well.
I have to disagree with you.

2d sonar does not give you more information. A flasher uses the exact same technology and shows you the same thing just in a different format that is more applicable to stationary vertical fishing. Regular sonar view is useful in a boat because you are covering ground and you want to see where the depth changes, where weeds start etc and the only way to easily be able to do that is by viewing a graph that shows history. When sitting in a single spot a weed or rock just looks like false bottom.

Regular sonar units only have 2 advantages imo. One is that showing history can tell you how interested a fish is in your lure. For example you can see if it chased you up a ways or if it spooked when you jigged etc. Using a dedicated flasher you have to remember what happened which to me is fairly easy so I don't worry about seeing history although there are some times it can help you figure out just what the fish want. The second and main advantage imo is if it has extra features such as GPS or panoptix.

Dedicated flashers on the other hand have a number of advantages. They give you a whole screen dedicated to showing real time data which makes it far easier to see when a fish is on screen(literally any mark that wasn't on your screen a moment ago is a fish or a bug etc) and makes it easier to also see when the fish is about to bite or when you should give your lure a twitch etc.

Flashers use narrower cone angles which are advantageous if fishing in deep water or near sharp drop offs or weeds etc. Flasher regular beams are around 20 degrees cone angle and narrow beams usually 8-10 degrees whereas regular fish finders narrow beams are usually 20 degrees.

The other advantage is interference rejection. Most flashers have better ways of dealing with interference and clutter on screen then regular fish finders. The narrower beam angles help pick up less interference as well if there are other people fishing nearby.

I think most people that prefer regular sonar over a flasher do so just because they don't know how to use a flashers to its full advantage. They like the sonar view because that is what they are used to seeing in a boat and they already know how to interpret it. If you learn how to use a flasher well it is more powerful though.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:36 PM

I totally agree with you Ravyak... That being said, which one of the two choices do you reccomend
Old 10-15-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I totally agree with you Ravyak... That being said, which one of the two choices do you reccomend
Both are good units but I would probably go with the FLX 28. I haven't used them much but I do have one buddy that switched from the LX 5 to FLX 28 and was quite happy with the change and other guys I know that use the FLX 28 do like them.

The biggest downside is fishing in shallow water. The low power mode does help but its more of a bandaid then a feature if you ask me.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Both are good units but I would probably go with the FLX 28. I haven't used them much but I do have one buddy that switched from the LX 5 to FLX 28 and was quite happy with the change and other guys I know that use the FLX 28 do like them.

The biggest downside is fishing in shallow water. The low power mode does help but its more of a bandaid then a feature if you ask me.

I've been leaning the same way... I had 3 LX7's crater on me and am a little gun shy now with the MarCums
Old 10-15-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I've been leaning the same way... I had 3 LX7's crater on me and am a little gun shy now with the MarCums
Marcum's are the worst for dependability.

My buddy that switched to the FLX 28 did so because his LX 5 screen was starting to bounce again which is a sign the motor is going(something he had replaced under warranty as well). I don't know if the new M series has fixed that or not.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:14 PM

If you don't mind spending money you could go the fish finder route and get a Garmin with Panoptix.

They do sell a 7 inch screen ice fishing combo but it is like $2600 and the original version of Panoptix. The new version of Panoptix looks awesome but haven't seen anything about it since it was announced.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:42 PM

hummingbird helix 7, you can use it summer and winter and has a flasher mode as well , win win ,
Old 10-15-2018, 08:53 PM

Anything made by that Rapala group is suspect in my opinion. Saw and sent too many things back Rtv in my experience especially Marcum product.

Quote:
If you don't mind spending money you could go the fish finder route and get a Garmin with Panoptix.

They do sell a 7 inch screen ice fishing combo but it is like $2600 and the original version of Panoptix. The new version of Panoptix looks awesome but haven't seen anything about it since it was announced.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:

That does seem like a nice setup, but it's truly more than I need... I just want a Flasher, and I suspect it will be a Vexilar
Old 10-16-2018, 08:12 AM

I never leave home without my bird. Gonna have to upgrade it soon though. Had it for over 10 years now.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:44 AM

When I purchased my fl20 I was blown away. It changed my icefishing forever. Then I tried using it in the summer with not much luck. So I got a humminbird helix, Well I was blown away again. The humminbird is the cats ass. Bottom structure in the summer from my canoe/paddle board/Lund I can mount it on anything. Find the structure push of a button and it’s marked on the GPS. Go back out in the winter all that info is right on there, no messing around drilling holes everywhere. My vexilar is just a flasher. My humminbird is a fishing machine. Now saying that you will be happy with anything going from not having one.
Some crazy new technology out there from garmin don’t pull the trigger without looking at them. That my be my next unit.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:49 PM

We have a couple inexpensive units that we take out with us -- a Lowrance Hook4x Ice Machine and a Humminbird PirrannahMax. Both do the job of letting us know depth and if there's anything going on underneath. My next toy will likely be a cheap underwater camera. I've got a buddy who hooked one up to a DVR so he can crank it back if need be...
Old 10-19-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I have to disagree with you.

2d sonar does not give you more information. A flasher uses the exact same technology and shows you the same thing just in a different format that is more applicable to stationary vertical fishing. Regular sonar view is useful in a boat because you are covering ground and you want to see where the depth changes, where weeds start etc and the only way to easily be able to do that is by viewing a graph that shows history. When sitting in a single spot a weed or rock just looks like false bottom.

Regular sonar units only have 2 advantages imo. One is that showing history can tell you how interested a fish is in your lure. For example you can see if it chased you up a ways or if it spooked when you jigged etc. Using a dedicated flasher you have to remember what happened which to me is fairly easy so I don't worry about seeing history although there are some times it can help you figure out just what the fish want. The second and main advantage imo is if it has extra features such as GPS or panoptix.

Dedicated flashers on the other hand have a number of advantages. They give you a whole screen dedicated to showing real time data which makes it far easier to see when a fish is on screen(literally any mark that wasn't on your screen a moment ago is a fish or a bug etc) and makes it easier to also see when the fish is about to bite or when you should give your lure a twitch etc.

Flashers use narrower cone angles which are advantageous if fishing in deep water or near sharp drop offs or weeds etc. Flasher regular beams are around 20 degrees cone angle and narrow beams usually 8-10 degrees whereas regular fish finders narrow beams are usually 20 degrees.

The other advantage is interference rejection. Most flashers have better ways of dealing with interference and clutter on screen then regular fish finders. The narrower beam angles help pick up less interference as well if there are other people fishing nearby.

I think most people that prefer regular sonar over a flasher do so just because they don't know how to use a flashers to its full advantage. They like the sonar view because that is what they are used to seeing in a boat and they already know how to interpret it. If you learn how to use a flasher well it is more powerful though.
This is purely your opinion, in my experience my Lowrance unit can have 4 different types of flashers running around it with 0 interference, meanwhile I walk over to buddies hole and he's yelling at me to move away because he can't figure out how to clear up the interference on his Marcum or Vexilar...

As for target identification 2D sonar is just as good at seeing individual marks and tracking multiple fish at the same depth is easier too, with a flasher dial you simply have a big green/yellow/red blob sitting at 10 feet, with my sonar I can see 3 different marks swimming up and down chasing my lure, and with the history as you say I can scroll back and observe behavior. Or my neck gets stiff from staring at the unit, I can get up stretch look around, then peek at the history quickly to see if fish swam by. WIth a flasher dial you blink or sneeze and that mark passes your cone you will never know he was there.

I can also adjust my cone angle on my Lowrance, narrowing it for deep water and widening it for shallow water.

Penetrating weeds I find is a lot easier with my lowrance too, for example I was marking perch in thick weeds, and was able to mark my lure too. Buddie dropped his Marcum in there and it was nothing but a jumbled mess no matter if he set it to "shallow water" or what ever limited options he had. Meanwhile I have the luxury of setting a special "weeds" setting that lets me jig right in the middle of a salad patch while perfectly marking my lure.

Maybe try using 2D sonar exclusively for a season and better formulate your opinion, because I'm calling BS on 90% of what you said.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
This is purely your opinion, in my experience my Lowrance unit can have 4 different types of flashers running around it with 0 interference, meanwhile I walk over to buddies hole and he's yelling at me to move away because he can't figure out how to clear up the interference on his Marcum or Vexilar...

As for target identification 2D sonar is just as good at seeing individual marks and tracking multiple fish at the same depth is easier too, with a flasher dial you simply have a big green/yellow/red blob sitting at 10 feet, with my sonar I can see 3 different marks swimming up and down chasing my lure, and with the history as you say I can scroll back and observe behavior. Or my neck gets stiff from staring at the unit, I can get up stretch look around, then peek at the history quickly to see if fish swam by. WIth a flasher dial you blink or sneeze and that mark passes your cone you will never know he was there.

I can also adjust my cone angle on my Lowrance, narrowing it for deep water and widening it for shallow water.

Penetrating weeds I find is a lot easier with my lowrance too, for example I was marking perch in thick weeds, and was able to mark my lure too. Buddie dropped his Marcum in there and it was nothing but a jumbled mess no matter if he set it to "shallow water" or what ever limited options he had. Meanwhile I have the luxury of setting a special "weeds" setting that lets me jig right in the middle of a salad patch while perfectly marking my lure.

Maybe try using 2D sonar exclusively for a season and better formulate your opinion, because I'm calling BS on 90% of what you said.
It is my opinion and my opinion is based on using almost every fish finder and flasher on the market or at least seeing them in action. I am not basing my comments off of what my buddies with unknown quality flashers and unknown knowledge of how to use their flashers.

If you are talking the interference rejection capability of a cheap flasher then yes they aren't great. If you are talking the higher end models then no your lowrance is not better(but at times may work better depending on frequencies everyone is using etc).

Another key point I forgot to mention is target separation. Lowrance and Helix ice units are around 2 inches which is only on par with the most basic flashers. Good flashers are around 0.5 inches. Meaning on your lowrance the fish and lure become a single blob sooner and you have a hard time telling schools of small fish like perch from bigger fish.

Lowrance narrow beam is 20 degrees. Flasher narrow beam is usually 8-10 degrees and normal beam is 20 degrees... Narrow is a relative term and the narrow beam on a regular fish finder is not comparable to narrow beam on a flasher. Reason for this is when boating you want to see further to each side and are scanning the area for fish. When using a flasher you are sitting in a single location and having a narrower beam allows you to read the bottom better. Sonar shows the bottom as highest area within the cone angle so if you set up on a slope/drop off where fish often like to hold to the bottom of you will have trouble marking the fish. Same goes for areas with boulders etc(rare in AB) but I have fished a couple such spots. Try setting up your fish finder on a steep drop off, drop your lure till it hits the "bottom" on your fish finder then keep dropping it till it actually hits bottom. If you are actually on a steep drop off(and especially if in deep water) your lure will continue to fall a significant distance. If it hits bottom quick you aren't actually on the drop off(and are likely your cone radius away from the bottom of drop off instead of right at the bottom of it like you think you are).

It is that narrow beam function that helps in weeds too. If you compare wide beam flasher to normal beam fish finder they will be the same because same cone angle. Use flasher narrow beam and you will be looking at a smaller area below your hole so assuming you don't set up with a weed directly below you then you will show less clutter on the screen from the weeds. Wider the angler, the more bottom your cone covers and the more weeds you see making more clutter on the screen.

Try jigging a 1/16 oz jig or something small like that in 30 feet of water jigging for perch and let me know how that goes. I guarantee your lowrance doesn't handle that situation 1/4 as well as a good flasher does.

Feel free to call my comments BS all you want. I have used almost all the units available and I have spent more time and effort to learn and use fish finders and flashers than 99% of anglers do. I have already converted a few "My Lowrance or Humminbird Ice Unit is the best thing since sliced bread" people to flashers and am pretty sure I am not wrong in this instance...

However, as previously mentioned if GPS capability, panoptix, 360 imaging or other similar technologies like that are why you think a fish finder is better then a flasher then I can completely agree. For basic sonar capability they are not better though.

Want the best of both worlds get an LX7 or something similar which gives all the advantages of fish finder and history while also giving you far superior flasher capability. Don't even try to tell me your Lowrance is better then an LX7...
Old 10-20-2018, 06:55 AM

Want the best of both worlds get an LX7 or something similar which gives all the advantages of fish finder and history while also giving you far superior flasher capability. Don't even try to tell me your Lowrance is better then an LX7...

Sadly, it's my 3 deceased LX 7's, that made me start this discussion...
Old 10-20-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Sadly, it's my 3 deceased LX 7's, that made me start this discussion...
When they work they are hard to beat lol.

Out of curiosity what failed on your LX 7's? Most common Marcum issue is motors failing but that is on the mechanical flashers. I believe M series was supposed to fix that but haven't payed enough attention to know if it did or not.

The flasher market doesn't have that many great options and imo you pay a lot more then you should have to considering the limited features they have(sonar only in most cases). LX7 for example should definitely have GPS considering its price point.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:12 PM

The first one wouldn't charge right out of the box, so Fishin Hole replaced it.. The second one didn't last a year when it just quit showing depth or anything else for that matter.. Fishin Hole sent it to MarCum, and it was replaced under warranty... The third one lasted a bit longer, but died the same way... I gave up after that... I have an Ice 55 and an Ice 35, so I'm not ever without..
Old 10-20-2018, 09:16 PM

Wonder if it was bad transducers.

I used an Ice 55 as my main unit and it got the job done most situations, not the best unit for really deep water(100+ fow for lakers) or small jigs in deep water(1/16 etc in 30 fow) and not the best interference rejection(compared to high end Vexilar or Marcum) but other then that it worked well.

The FLX 28 is an upgrade compared to the Ice 55. You don't really get any more features and it is missing some features likes say depth readouts but it does operate better especially for small lures in deeper water. The LX5/M5 work well and also read better then the Ice 55 in those situations but I personally preferred the larger display and depth readouts on the Ice 55 and rarely fish with small lures in deep water so never felt the need to upgrade.

Best is to try and hook up with someone that has an FLX 28 and someone with an M5 and just go out and see them in action to see what you prefer.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:

I used an Ice 55 as my main unit and it got the job done most situations, not the best unit for really deep water(100+ fow for lakers) or small jigs in deep water(1/16 etc in 30 fow) and not the best interference rejection(compared to high end Vexilar or Marcum) but other then that it worked well.

The FLX 28 is an upgrade compared to the Ice 55. You don't really get any more features and it is missing some features likes say depth readouts but it does operate better especially for small lures in deeper water. The LX5/M5 work well and also read better then the Ice 55 in those situations but I personally preferred the larger display and depth readouts on the Ice 55 and rarely fish with small lures in deep water so never felt the need to upgrade.

Best is to try and hook up with someone that has an FLX 28 and someone with an M5 and just go out and see them in action to see what you prefer.
I don't think it was a transducer issue because MarCum replaced the entire unit when it was still under warranty.. The transducer was still sending a signal, just not showing any information on the screen
Old 10-21-2018, 09:39 AM

I love my humminbird ice45 for ice fishing and open water!
Old 10-31-2018, 02:50 AM

Which do U suggestion between flx28 and lx7?
Old 10-31-2018, 02:52 AM

Quote:

Old 10-31-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavor View Post
If I was in a shack or driving to my spot and then sitting in a tent I would say LX 7. If hole hopping or pulling gear in on a sled with snowmobile etc then I would say FLX 28. To me the LX 7 is the more powerful unit but more stuff to go wrong and heavier and more awkward.

It sounds like jeffrey929 has had bad luck with the LX 7's but I haven't heard of other guys having that bad of luck. Vexilar is known for their dependability if that is a concern.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:38 AM

I have had to return a number of units. Won't bore you with details. A very smart man who can afford any dang thing he wants told me to go with a cheap Vexilar as they are bulletproof. I am happy I did. very happy. My buddies are buying Vexilar and they are even happier. I am set, but if I were in the market, and had the scratch, a Vexilar FLX-28 would be coming home from the store with me. That's my story.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:51 AM

I have heard of very few issues with the vexilar units. I have a Marcum myself and was considering selling to try a vexilar. My Marcum LX3-TCI has been bullet proof but a guy always wonders what the other one is like. I don't think you need to splurge on the most fancy flasher even a basic model is a huge improvement over no flasher.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:20 PM

The only issue I've had with my Flx-28 is buying it last spring and waiting until this winter to use it. Sometimes and turn it one to see how pretty it is, then feel shame there's no ice. Soon enough.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I have had to return a number of units. Won't bore you with details. A very smart man who can afford any dang thing he wants told me to go with a cheap Vexilar as they are bulletproof. I am happy I did. very happy. My buddies are buying Vexilar and they are even happier. I am set, but if I were in the market, and had the scratch, a Vexilar FLX-28 would be coming home from the store with me. That's my story.
I bought a Marcum LX-3 when they first came out. Used it for many years with no issues. Bought the LX-7 at least 5 years ago and have no issues with it. Use it hole jumping, drag it behind a snowmobile in a skimmer, and so far its been golden. I hope i'm not lucky with the units I've had but I would buy a LX-7 again no question. It for sure out-fishes sns2's vexilar, or maybe its just the fisherman, ha!