Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-06-2018, 12:47 PM

I like the shows that show missed shots. Getting busted. Even when they show a bad shot and you can see the emotion of the hunter.

One of my favorite shows to watch is bowhuntordie. Self filmed hunts. Well edited. They show it all. Then they talk about it. Not just trophy hunts. Some will harvest a meat doe. I've see them miss a trophy target buck trying to get it on film.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 10-06-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I agree with you.

This post went sideways really fast from the direction I had hoped it would have gone

Some of the comments boggle my mind

I deleted about 5 paragraphs that I wanted to say but I shouldn’t
Little confused. You asked for constructive criticism of existing outdoor shows so the guys making them can appeal better to the audience. I think there was some excellent feedback that if someone styled a show on that basis, it would be very popular. Meat Eater and Shockys shows incorporate a lot of what has been suggested and seem to be widely popular among AO members. I don't think that is just a coincidence.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:00 PM

Default Agree

Agreed, Those two shows have the budget of about 10 of your standard Wild tv shows. If it werent for advertising there would be no industry
I think Dana White/Fatal Impact has some of the better videography out there.
The few host i know are humbled they get to make a living chasing dreams. And thats good enough for me. There is something for everyone to enjoy out there.
Oh, and when i hear “he shoots he scores” on a particular show, i throw up a little in my mouth. Lol
Old 10-06-2018, 02:13 PM
Banned

I have already posted what I like in a show but I am pretty sure I am not in the age/demographic their targeting. Target audience is 20-35 age group, just starting out need lots of gear, want every easy/techy thing available, want to be driven to their hunt area, want guide to get permission, range animal and set up shooting sticks for them, lots of disposal income, wear flat brim hat, white sunglasses, big magnum rifle, 500/piece camo. I don't fall into almost any of the things listed so probably not going to find a lot of shows I like.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:34 PM

Lose the baited plots on a farm, sitting with a heater body suit in a 2000sq foot mansion.

Poor shooting, 125m bow shot over a bunch of trees from the road at a bunch of elk to "see what happens". Not on wildtv anymore...

My wish is that it would be more educational, both hunting and fishing shows, show us what you're using, etc. BC sportfishing with Chan does a good job of that
Old 10-06-2018, 04:25 PM

Default Anyone else

Want to choke the life of the Dime Store Fisherman will his irritating fingernails on a blackboard voice ranting on and on.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I have already posted what I like in a show but I am pretty sure I am not in the age/demographic their targeting. Target audience is 20-35 age group, just starting out need lots of gear, want every easy/techy thing available, want to be driven to their hunt area, want guide to get permission, range animal and set up shooting sticks for them, lots of disposal income, wear flat brim hat, white sunglasses, big magnum rifle, 500/piece camo. I don't fall into almost any of the things listed so probably not going to find a lot of shows I like.
The most important target audience is 25-54 - the folks with money to spend.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:09 PM

At least one reason Meateater is popular is because Steve Rinella acts normal. He is laid back, he thinks an talks about life, and he works hard for his animals. He also is not loaded to the nuts with the latest gear and gadgets. He's real and people are able to relate.

Above all, no phony excitement, no heavy metal music, and no cheesy attempts at humor or slogans.

I hope some of the younger guys cracking into the business read these pages.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
The most important target audience is 25-54 - the folks with money to spend.
You may very well be right and would know better than me but I think a lot of 40+ guys already have quite a bit of equipment. Always some upgrading to be done, but not basically starting from scratch.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
You may very well be right and would know better than me but I think a lot of 40+ guys already have quite a bit of equipment. Always some upgrading to be done, but not basically starting from scratch.
I think your right, but they still buy. Look at fishing equipment. Doesn’t matter how old you are. Anything new and shiny hooks a fisherman. Lol.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I think your right, but they still buy. Look at fishing equipment. Doesn’t matter how old you are. Anything new and shiny hooks a fisherman. Lol.
Just relating my buying of equipment. Bought my boat, motorhome, and almost all my firearms, hunting accessories, and fishing gear, sonar, rods reels, decoys before I was 45. That could also be because I was working in the hunting/fishing business then and got some pretty good staff deals. Only big ticket item lately was a new sled last year.

I suppose companies spend a lot on advertising so know what their doing.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:38 AM

It’s not the smartest idea to talk about a landowner while using their name and portraying them as a villain on your show. It would be nice to give my side on Hired To Hunt.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
It’s not the smartest idea to talk about a landowner while using their name and portraying them as a villain on your show. It would be nice to give my side on Hired To Hunt.
That is a great way to alienate every landowner in the area. Not smart, when you depend the landowners co-operation to run your business.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FQ2 View Post
Those programs are horrible.......reminds me of WWE wrestling with more commercials. Watch them for a minute then change the channel. They all are so bad. So bad.

The top of the groupP

Meateaters, Jim Shokey are the best.

Why?

There honest, show there mistakes, very little sponsorship hoopla, show there good days along with there bad, they don't look like hollywood cheeseballs with there over the top excitement, etc

These are the guys that you would want to go out with as they have more substance and character than 99% of the other tv characters.
Jim Shockey has very little sponsorship hoopla? Jim Shockey has really good shows but he trusts his life to every product that gives him money.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:59 AM

They need more shows to help explain to folks that getting out there is better then wasting time behind a frozen "non-active" screen.

Less TV & more boots on the ground.

But that would mean more time wasted sharing this information.

Oh well, at least I'm glass-ing the Might Peace Valley this morning looking for strange encounters of the furry kind. Ha.

Nothing like real time TV that my good friends and I live each day.

Year 7 or 14 when we turned off the tube, I'm sure the day will come when the World wide Web fades away.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:04 AM

Just turned on Wild TV at work first show on outdoor Quest, first few minutes is promotion already , and they're in New Zealand again do they go anywhere else I guess I could always change the channel and I am.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

What torques me about commercials is when they run the same one back to back or have a different one I between but back To the same one again......thank god for PVR....next best thing to sliced bread

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-07-2018, 10:04 AM

I highly respect Claudio as a very accomplished bird hunting guide. However Claudio please loose the "Kill" direction when birds come in by both you and your guides. Whats wrong with "Take em" "Now" . PETA looks for stuff like that and use it against us.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I highly respect Claudio as a very accomplished bird hunting guide. However Claudio please loose the "Kill" direction when birds come in by both you and your guides. Whats wrong with "Take em" "Now" . PETA looks for stuff like that and use it against us.
Hunting involves killing, pizz on PETA no need to try and sugar coat the killing of birds and animals it is what hunters do and I find no need to use warm and fuzzy language because it may upset a bunch of idiot losers.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
hunting involves killing, pizz on peta no need to try and sugar coat the killing of birds and animals it is what hunters do and i find no need to use warm and fuzzy language because it may upset a bunch of idiot losers.
amen!
Old 10-07-2018, 03:23 PM

The first time I watch a show and the hunter excitedly says “I smoked him good” or “I gave him the smack down” I turn the show off. So much emphasis on the killing and zero respect for the animal they just killed, it’s not to my liking.

Jumping out of trucks to set a 12 year old up on a running Whitetail that’s been pushed, mentoring 12 year old by telling him to shoot fast, with buildings behind the deer, that loses me quick.

14 year olds hunting on “leases” that brag about their 4th “book” buck in 4 years, gimme a break.

Shooting bear after bear with their head in a barrel, tell me where’s the entertainment value in that?

I guess there’s fans of the long range game out there, I’m not one of them.

Loved watching Brad Fry’s show, and there are a few others. Most of the shows aren’t worth watching in my opinion. There are huge differences between hunters as to why they hunt, and this is sure reflected by what people watch. To each their own I suppose.

Craig
Old 10-07-2018, 05:13 PM

If they want me to watch hunting shows I want to see spot and stalk unedited. I don't want to see long distance shooting with sticks and rangefinders. I want to see off the cuff free hand shooting at reasonable ranges. No baited hunts.

I hunt so don't get me wrong.... I'd definitely watch a bear hunting show twice if the bear got a smackdown on the baiter. Or an elk or mulie that decides to put the chase or stomp on the stalker.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-07-2018, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
If they want me to watch hunting shows I want to see spot and stalk unedited. I don't want to see long distance shooting with sticks and rangefinders. I want to see off the cuff free hand shooting at reasonable ranges. No baited hunts.

I hunt so don't get me wrong.... I'd definitely watch a bear hunting show twice if the bear got a smackdown on the baiter. Or an elk or mulie that decides to put the chase or stomp on the stalker.
Don't think you will find much to watch. I don't see to many if any shows that don't have at least 1 or2 or even 3 things you don't like.
You may not like sticks, rangefinders but they will make you more accurate, much more than offhand shooting, but some will give up accuracy for "old school" shooting.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Don't think you will find much to watch. I don't see to many if any shows that don't have at least 1 or2 or even 3 things you don't like.
You may not like sticks, rangefinders but they will make you more accurate, much more than offhand shooting, but some will give up accuracy for "old school" shooting.
I agree with having accuracy. I am also of the mind that out to a hundred yards a guy should be able to free hand shoot a 3 inch circle with a scoped rifle. It's knowing your weapon.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I agree with having accuracy. I am also of the mind that out to a hundred yards a guy should be able to free hand shoot a 3 inch circle with a scoped rifle. It's knowing your weapon.
At the range and our home range (cousins field) I don't think I have seen anyone practice offhand for years, I am sure some do but very few. Offhand shooting while hunting is definitely becoming a lost skill IMO.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:47 PM

I’m not very good at shooting freehand and don’t usually shoot game unless off trigger sticks or bipod. This year I practiced freehand over 5000 rounds of 22 Lr and my wife can still out shoot me freehand.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:54 PM

Default Hunting shows constructive

I know a guy who’s buddy used to do some of the filming for one of the long range hunting shows. He said he quit because he got sick of seeing wounded animals struggling to get away with broken limbs or their guts hanging out. You never see those ones on an episode. He said it happened more often than not.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Little confused. You asked for constructive criticism of existing outdoor shows so the guys making them can appeal better to the audience. I think there was some excellent feedback that if someone styled a show on that basis, it would be very popular. Meat Eater and Shockys shows incorporate a lot of what has been suggested and seem to be widely popular among AO members. I don't think that is just a coincidence.
That's kind of where I was thinking. One thing with this post is the OP originally wanted constructive criticism. That likely won't happen on this forum.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I know a guy who’s buddy used to do some of the filming for one of the long range hunting shows. He said he quit because he got sick of seeing wounded animals struggling to get away with broken limbs or their guts hanging out. You never see those ones on an episode. He said it happened more often than not.
Thanks for telling the truth. I have consistently said there are likely many maimed animals for every long range bang flop that is seen on tv. Sickening.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:00 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Yup, figured so, just go out to a gopher field and reach out and see the results as the distance grows.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...