Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-19-2017, 02:32 PM

Default Internet Idiots

It must be said that the internet has done more to spread knowledge throughout the masses than any other medium in history. Yet at the same time it has enabled a minority of idiots to look like a movement at times.

I was an early adopter of forums and search engines and was blown away by the knowledge that was freely available to those who looked. I formed friendships, that exist to this day, with trappers I’ve never met in person.

And the things I’ve learned from other trappers via their pics and instructions are worth thousands of dollars in instructive value. In truth trappers are much more prone to share with those from far away than they are with their “competition” right next door.

So, for me the web has been mostly a good thing. But there are some predictable patterns that seem to arise. When a forum is new and exciting everyone is eager to share, and stories and pics abound. But eventually the bottom feeders are bound to show up.

You know the guys. Question everyone’s ethics or practices in the field. Make fun of the newbies who are just learning. Brag about their own almost mythical abilities. Aggressively attack anyone who does not agree. Spew opinions on any issue on which they are an expert on, and there are few subjects that they are not all knowledgeable about…by the way.

Soon decent posters just leave or stop posting. The decent forum topics dry up and soon the only ones’ posting are the bottom feeders and the odd brave sole who still cares and wants to see a vibrant forum.

The experts are now the “kings of the castle” free to pontificate and rule as they see fit on the forum. The only thing they fail to recognize is that rather than kings they are court clowns. And soon when they’re all alone and no is left to engage with them, to argue and reaffirm just how smart they are, they move on. That’s if we’re lucky.

But we don’t have to put up with that. Call these clowns out, don’t wait for the next guy. I’m not talking about not having respectful disagreements, that’s part of the reason we have dialogue. But when the same person time after time is raising crap… why put up with it?

I’m on another forum where posers usually last about a day before they’re called out. Not attacked in any way but you better be the real deal if you’re pretending to be. Because you will be called on it.

Personally, I haven’t posted much on AO last couple of years. But I think I made a mistake. I took the easy route and used my column to communicate. But I care more about Alberta trappers than anywhere else so I think I need to recommit to the forum and see if we can’t breathe a little fresh air back into the place. I’m thinking there’s more than just me who would like to share a bit more.

We owe sport scene big thanks for the mag and this forum, and I’m going to pitch in to make both as good as I can.

And if you think I wrote this post about you…get over yourself, the internet is full of ....., you’re not so unique.

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-19-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:56 PM

Be nice to get the actual trappers posting here again Brian but most of us just move on to other sites, its way easier than having to costantly deal with the couple of trolls on here.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:57 PM

Well I hope I'm not one of the clowns you were talking about.
Looking forward to the change Brian. I'd like to see more of that attitude from a pile of guys on here. I looked back a couple years ago and boy the place was really pretty good on here. Lots of guys sharing and asking questions and all kinds of good stuff. I posted as much as I could to get this place rocking and shared a pile of pics to encourage others as well.
Not sure what's changed but we are all either aftraid of eachother or the Anti crowd. I know I got ****ed on too many times and have seen others treated the same as well.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:42 PM

really enjoy taking outdoor/trapping/fishing pics and sharing. and enjoy your stories and pics brian. your a great writer.

but if i was the VP of the ATA. and the owner of this forum. i would shut this place down.

seems like the rodtka/proulx's out there, end up getting the most out of it. they've already done enough damage.

just my thoughts.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:26 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

My thought on this is that things will never go away Brian, I adapt the boob tube attitude, flip the channel, can't like everything nor agree but it is not worth it to dwell on it etc just move on engage in what matters.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-19-2017, 05:41 PM

Sounds like a plan to me. I use to post info share stuff and do a little reading. Would be nice to see the forum get it back to where is was when I first started checking it out.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:24 PM
Banned

That would be awesome, BB! Everyone loves trapping stories and pictures......pictures are phenomenal! That'll take a bit of pressure off the few of us that try to make Trapping interesting and attract people to take up the lifestyle. Besides, I'm running out of material to post. You already have numerous members eagerly awaiting for your first thread....way to go!

If you are looking for ideas for topics may I offer a couple of threads that seemed pretty popular:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=Beavers

This one is my all time favourite and I learned a lot from it, as I'm sure many others did:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=Beavers

I should warn you though, Braggadoe is a bit of a photo critic and he pretty much shutdown the posting of any pictures all together for awhile so you might want to run the pictures by him first before posting them.

When can we expect your first thread and the vibrantness?
Old 04-19-2017, 08:02 PM

Check out the trapping forum on here every couple days. I don't post but enjoy reading through the posts. Being from Saskatchewan it's basically the same trapping ideas. In the last year this forum has changed. It's too bad. Still lots of good posts but as was mentioned above was way better before. Keep it going strong and the pretenders will be found out for what they are.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 PM

It's the internet bullies that make themselves look stupid. They won't go away because they think they know it all. They are the idiots, not you so please don't let it stop you from posting. I have not trapped for 35 yrs but I am a regular visiter here & I appreciate the sport as well as the stories. Don't allow a few internet bullies to destroy that or they win. I hope all of you hard working trappers had a great season!!!!! Too bad more people don't understand trapping. Our country was built on it & it is awesome!!!!
Old 04-20-2017, 01:23 AM
AO Sponsor

That's right Brian, excellent post! We don't want the bullies to keep you runned off... please post a while. Let's see some real action again.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
That's right Brian, excellent post! We don't want the bullies to keep you runned off... please post a while. Let's see some real action again.
How bout some of your own...... i'm sure you got a pic or 2?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:43 AM
AO Sponsor

Ok! I'll post two Picts...
Old 04-20-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
That'll take a bit of pressure off the few of us that try to make Trapping interesting and attract people to take up the lifestyle. Besides, I'm running out of material to post. You already have numerous members eagerly awaiting for your first thread....way to go!

I should warn you though, Braggadoe is a bit of a photo critic and he pretty much shutdown the posting of any pictures all together for awhile so you might want to run the pictures by him first before posting them.

When can we expect your first thread and the vibrantness?

Aggressively attack anyone who does not agree. Spew opinions on any issue on which they are an expert on, and there are few subjects that they are not all knowledgeable about…by the way.

Hmm... maybe I'm the only one taking your post the wrong way. But it sure seems to me that Brians post was read but not understood.

Thanks Brian I'll step up my game.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:24 AM

Lots of us non trappers check this forum out so we can see the awesome stuff you do on your lines. The pics, the cabins, the stories and tips are all great stuff to read. I know i would love take my sled, tag along and help a trapper on their line on a winter day/weekend. Be quite the experience. I hope you guys keep posting about your trapping lifestyle.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:49 AM

Well put Brian. I think the mods have weeded out most of the bad, but there are and will always be a couple of ugly ducklings in the group. I like yourself have been living on the other forum, and yes if you are full of BS, you will get called on it. Way less arguing over there, a lot more like minded people sharing and discussing. I sure wish We could get this back to where it was 5 years or so ago. Miss guys like Summit, XP, West Country, GG, Yourself, brag, and on and on. Some very good pictures and sharing took place. I am still on the fence, but maybe I can just learn to not read the posts from Our local troll.

Spruce
Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 AM

what is this other forum you people speak of?
Old 04-20-2017, 12:25 PM

Trapperman, mainly Wilderness Trapping.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonerkiller View Post
what is this other forum you people speak of?
Love it !!! lol
Old 04-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post

Aggressively attack anyone who does not agree. Spew opinions on any issue on which they are an expert on, and there are few subjects that they are not all knowledgeable about…by the way.

Hmm... maybe I'm the only one taking your post the wrong way. But it sure seems to me that Brians post was read but not understood.

Thanks Brian I'll step up my game.
Oh, I got it okay. It sucks that trappers are allowed to voice their opinions on this forum right? I guess that it would be better if Wolfcrazy and 209 could delete posts and ban people who they don't agree with. It might feel all warm and fuzzy but censoring it doesn't help to give you much insight into what average trappers are thinking. Braggadoe would shut the forum down if he could and he tried his best to do it in the past. Many of us were elated that he left and I sure hope that we don't go back to that.

I'll let you in on a little secret that I have not disclosed to anyone before.....ever. Last year there was an ATA Director on here spewing fear with an unfounded rumour that snaring was on the verge of extinction because something mentioned in a post by a member here was picked up by a small quasi anti trapping group. He started a thread titled, "Snaring in Trouble" which has since been deleted. I immediately called him on it but he continued to add more and more info that our little friend could use. I PM'd him asking him to take the thread down and I contacted another member who I thought that he might listen to. I was so ticked off about it that I reported him to the President of the area Local to which I received a reply from the ATA President. It was shortly after that that he left the group taking a few of his followers with him.

The forum has never really recovered from the time that small group declared themselves the unofficial censors of this forum but a few of us who were not afraid to post pictures and stories continued on. It's really too bad that regular contributors like Nube felt that the grief wasn't worth posting, he had some great stuff!

If your mission is to contribute and make this forum a great place for other Trappers to share their stories and photos then I strongly support it.......100%. I never have and I never will belittle anyone who shares their stories and pictures.....ever. It helps to draw interest in trapping and serves a purpose to recruit people to take up the trapping lifestyle.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

I'll let you in on a little secret that I have not disclosed to anyone before.....ever. Last year there was an ATA Director on here spewing fear with an unfounded rumour that snaring was on the verge of extinction because something mentioned in a post by a member here was picked up by a small quasi anti trapping group. He started a thread titled, "Snaring in Trouble" which has since been deleted. I immediately called him on it but he continued to add more and more info that our little friend could use. I PM'd him asking him to take the thread down and I contacted another member who I thought that he might listen to. I was so ticked off about it that I reported him to the President of the area Local to which I received a reply from the ATA President. It was shortly after that that he left the group taking a few of his followers with him.
dave, gotta ask. are you aware that coyote snare testing is now underway?
are you familiar with the aiths agreement?
do you no how much long haired fur is harvested in canada with cable?
do you know the relevance of 2020?
do you understand “traceability/certification”?
do you know why/who spearheaded all of this?

these are important questions. please enlighten us all, with your expert knowledge.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I feel a Friday squabble in the mix...imagine that.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-21-2017, 06:47 AM

Great post Brian , said what needed to be said , but it looks like some of those trolls may be back already .
Old 04-21-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Great post Brian , said what needed to be said , but it looks like some of those trolls may be back already .
Trolls are back????? He never left
Old 04-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
dave, gotta ask. are you aware that coyote snare testing is now underway?
are you familiar with the aiths agreement?
do you no how much long haired fur is harvested in canada with cable?
do you know the relevance of 2020?
do you understand “traceability/certification”?
do you know why/who spearheaded all of this?

these are important questions. please enlighten us all, with your expert knowledge.
Last week I started a thread titled, "NAFA Going with Certified Fur - Vision 2020". Perhaps you'd like to contribute to the discussion about the 2020 initiative there.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=319647
Old 04-22-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trappingman View Post
Trolls are back????? He never left
Not the one Im talking about .
Old 04-24-2017, 02:14 PM

Default New Trapper

Hi Guys
I just completed the basic ATA course and will now be able to purchase my trappers license.
At the end of the 3 day course I'm still green as can be. I have a friend of a friend (trapper) that would like to set me up and get me going. I would probably prefer to tag along for a day or two on his trap line initially.

There is nothing better than learning on the job from an expert. Trial and error is probably not the smartest thing and it can also be a bit dangerous for the inexperienced.

Please keep your forum going. I will never be a troll or an armchair critic/expert. I hope I can ask a few questions and continue to read and learn a few more tricks from the experts.

I know these forums can be stupid and most are. Hang in there.
Thanks
Old 04-24-2017, 11:04 PM

I appreciate all your posts and articles Brian Bildson. You are always on point and relevant. Thank you. Glad you have hopefully found a renewed faith in the forum's community. The forum does need people like yourself that can contribute a great up to date working knowledge of the trapline.

Your actions to become involved again may inspire me to renew my faith to be involved again too. I was one of the instructors of the basic trapping course for a few seasons and could contribute what I know accurately. I was discouraged from posting by some attitudes and egos and the fact I am not currently trapping.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 04-24-2017 at 11:09 PM.