when you feel threatened do you take the threat away

David
Old 02-16-2021, 08:43 AM

Aside from domestic animals just grizzly bears
Old 02-16-2021, 08:45 AM

Yes I have. Grizz.

-Billy Molls
Old 02-16-2021, 08:56 AM

Had a cougar take a run at me and I fired 7mm magnum at her. Missed her but she turned aside and disappeard into the bush. Found out she had two small kittens at a deer carcass.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:57 AM

I’ve been “severely warned” by a Grizz when I stumbled onto a gut pile he was munching on. Been threatened by horses in the absolute dark as I was walking through their pasture. Been with a tame water buffalo who was upset that I was walking through his paddock in the dark- I “wanged” him between the eyes with a spade I was carrying and it barely fazed the bugger. And been in one of those “oh crap” moments when I was bowhunting and a pig that I’d just arrowed thought he should make a death charge. Luckily he was more dead than alive when he got that brainwave.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:00 AM

A young wolf that was too big for his britches.

Grizz
Old 02-16-2021, 09:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

yup from field mice to moose size critters....still here...many pairs of underwear later

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-16-2021, 09:26 AM

I've been charged by a black bear once and stalked by another one once...didn't end well for the bears both times.

The charge ended a few feet off the end of the gun barrel and the stalk ended after I tried to chase the bear off 3 times.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:28 AM

Bluff charged by bears a few times. Death charged by moose. followed or checked out by wolves twice. Then there was that damm farm turkey when I was a kid.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:29 AM

bluff charged by black bear, and charged by a couple badgers
Old 02-16-2021, 09:29 AM

Haha yeah a field mouse (no joke lol- he hopped up a couple feet to try and bite me lol) and a turkey as a kid.
I’ve shot a lot of game and have yet to experience a charge. Thankfully
Old 02-16-2021, 09:31 AM

I've been charged by a Grizzly, black bear ( more stalked ), bull elk, cow elk, mule deer and a territorial grouse.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 02-16-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
i have been charged by Bull moose

Badgers

wounded animals

bluff charged

n stocked

what about you?

when you feel threatened do you take the threat away

David

Elk, Moose, Badger, Skunk, Black Bear, Grizzly Bear, Wild Horse, Wolverine, GHOs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 02-16-2021, 10:07 AM

Was Bluff charged by a Sow Grizzly while she was stealing my Mountain GOAT it defiantly had us on our heals we all agreed if she crossed the small creek between us we would take next steps to defend fortunately she never once crossed the line.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:11 AM

Charged by a wild boar once when bow hunting. Got out of dodge and came back the next day and found him again and arrowed him. 375 pounds of ****ed off boar certainly gets your attention.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:14 AM

Lots of black bears, two coyotes, and a goose or two oh, and run up a tree by a cow moose with a calf, and charged by a cow moose after I shot her calf!
Cat
Old 02-16-2021, 10:14 AM

I was charged by a grizzly while hunting grizzly, and it made a nice rug. It may have been a bluff charge, but I had a tag, the bear looked good, so at 30 yards I shot. I have been chased by geese while fishing, and by an angry groundhog with it's young, but both were more entertaining than a threat. I have been surrounded by packs of coyotes that wanted my dog twice, once it resulted in a cautious retreat, and the other ended badly for the coyotes.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:21 AM

Young wounded Bull Moose. Hunting partner hit too far back, I went into the bush after waiting an hour to see if he laid down. He walked out from behind a large Spruce right toward me. I shot at him but missed. he turned at the sound walked about 30 feet and then laid down. Whew I was scared lol.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:22 AM

Was fly fishing in the foothills a couple miles from the truck and had a black bear sneaking up behind me, I waved my arms and hollered at him, but he would go away and then come back around, kept on trying to get up closer and behind me all the way to the truck. Not really a "charge" - but unnerving nevertheless as this game played out a few times and I had to escalate my "scaring him" to the point where I would pick up a piece of wood chase him and throw it, but each time, he didn't run quite as far, as came back sooner becoming emboldened.

It wasn't a "big" bear, but was big enough. Not sure if he was curious, hungry, dangerous or what ........ totally strange behavior. Like trying to chase away a dog that wants to follow you - except he kept on trying to circle in behind me.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:28 AM

My uncle and I by a Young Grizz protecting its hidden kill. I learned a couple things.

1. Grizz can run real fast and cover an insane amount of ground when they charge. Thank god it was a bluff but he got real close.

2. My pucker factor is off the charts as I didn't need to change my shorts
Old 02-16-2021, 10:29 AM

I've been charged by a grouse before lol
Old 02-16-2021, 10:30 AM

Last November I was out hunting mule deer at the cabin and I let my dog out of the cabin to go pee, there was a herd of Mulies in the yard and he took off after them. A younger 4x4 buck decided to push up on my dog and I ran out in between them. The deer took a few steps at me and I threw my hands up and yelled at him to F Off and he spun around and booked it haha.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:37 AM

Another black bear. Was at Lac Des Isles a couple years ago.

Had the boat shored on the beach near the fish cleaning station as we came in that evening. After dinner, pitch dark, realized I left my reading glasses in the boat so went down there, a 100 yards or so from Cabin and as I passed the fish hut, thought I heard something, no big deal.

Went past the fish hut, hopped in the boat, grabbed my glasses, and headed back to cabin and as I was walking past the fish hut a pretty big black bear ran at an angle towards me, and turned straight into the bush and broke through there like a bat out of hell.

It happened so fast, he was charging (or running) so fast, and he was past me (less than 10 feet) and turned into the bush in a split second. I'm pretty sure I was frozen in mid step with my foot hoovering like a statue ..... just paralyzed like a fool.

Looking back now, he was trapped between the water and bush by me, so maybe "false charged" me and took off. I will never know, It was dark. I mean pitch black and happened all within a second or two.

Never went down there in the dark again without a flash light and making some noise. I'm sure me walking in the dark, relatively silently, right past a fish cleaning station without so much as a thought was absolutely ridiculous, careless and reckless.

Next day you could see it looked like someone drove a volkwagen through the bush where he crashed through and the prints confirmed this was a big bruin.

That could have been very, very bad for me, He could have been on me before I could even plant my next step, never mind finish filling my diaper.

So much for being "an aware outdoorsmen". Embarrassing actually. I know better. Pure stupidity and complacency.

Last edited by EZM; 02-16-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:41 AM

elephant.....
Old 02-16-2021, 10:49 AM

Two rutting bull moose at the same time, absolute stupidity on my part and very embarrassing situation that could have been bad. I knew better and was taught better. Like most farm kids a den full of badgers! That’s was a experience lol!
Old 02-16-2021, 10:52 AM

My dad and his hunting partner had an experience with a Moose. My dad dropped a Moose and his hunting partner came up to give him a hand.

At some point, my dad left to go to the truck to get a saw or knife, he was walking back, almost there when he heard another shot.

xxxx meanwhile ...

The hunting partner was working on the downed moose, and heard something in the bush shaking and grunting at him, but assumed it was my dad (who liked to mess and joke around) pretending to be a bear and trying to scare him so he basically ignored it (probably cursing).

This happened a few times, and he looks up to see another bull Moose Moose, 10 yards away, grunting and snorting at him, he had to retrieve his gun from a tree as he side stepped over nervously cursing himself not having it closer to him. Needless to say, he got to the rifle, loaded a round and dropped his own Moose, literally, only yards from the first Moose my dad shot.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:53 AM

Yep. Black bear sow with that year's cub. I walked through a dried up swamp with my late father basically scouting for deer. The grass was high and this cub bolted past us about 10' from me. My mind was trying to register just what it was when I hear a freight train running through the grass towards me. Instantly I knew what it was and all I had in my hands was a bush axe. I yelled at it and it came through the tall grass into the dried creek bed where we were walking popping its teeth and huffing. It was close enough to me that it was blowing snot on my pants leg. I had my hands in the air trying to make myself look bigger and was telling it to bugger off. The hair on her neck was up and finally she walked away, but not before she stood up and pounded her front paws on a 8" diameter maple tree. Never bothered me until she walked away. Kinda made my legs feel rubbery then. Dad, who was standing behind me said " well i told you to bring your rifle"... later that year at deer camp we had a laugh about the time the bear blew its nose on my jeans

Michael
Old 02-16-2021, 10:54 AM

My dad and his hunting partner had an experience with a Moose. My dad dropped a Moose and his hunting partner came up to give him a hand.

At some point, my dad left to go to the truck to get a saw or knife, he was walking back, almost there when he heard another shot.

xxxx meanwhile ...

The hunting partner was working on the downed moose, and heard something in the bush shaking and grunting at him, but assumed it was my dad (who liked to mess and joke around) pretending to be a bear and trying to scare him so he basically ignored it (probably cursing).

This happened a few times, and he looks up to see another bull Moose Moose, 10 yards away, grunting and snorting at him, he had to retrieve his gun leaning on a tree, kind of between the Moose and himself as he side stepped over nervously cursing himself. Needless to say, he got to the rifle, loaded a round and dropped his own Moose, literally, only yards from the first Moose my dad shot.

Funny thing is, my dad, knowing they had to pack the Moose out unloaded his rifle and left it in the truck knowing his partner had a rifle back at the kill. lol.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:55 AM

I've survived a couple of muskrat charges. (the real deal, not a bluff!)
Old 02-16-2021, 11:28 AM

Default Have you ever been charged

Yep, by a damn rooster at my wife’s parents farm. Every time I’d go get eggs that bugger would try to take my head off. After about the third or fourth time he went into the pot and made for some great soup.