Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-13-2009, 09:03 PM

Default Browning A-Bolt .243 Groups

I am shooting a Browning A-Bolt Medallion chambered in .243 Winchester. Right now i have 2 boxes of Winchester 80 Gr. Super-X Bullets. Does anyone have an idea of what kinds of groups i should get from this combination. haven't been able to get the rifle on the bench yet.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteChallenger View Post
I am shooting a Browning A-Bolt Medallion chambered in .243 Winchester. Right now i have 2 boxes of Winchester 80 Gr. Super-X Bullets. Does anyone have an idea of what kinds of groups i should get from this combination. haven't been able to get the rifle on the bench yet.
Your guess is as good as anybodies.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 AM

Assuming you do your part (meaning: good shooting posture, a solid rest for the fore stock, rifle fore stock contacting the same spot on the shooting rest each time you shoot, good trigger control, good breathing control, letting the barrel cool, etc., etc), there is no reason any factory rifle today won't at least shoot 2" groups at 100 yards with a decent functioning quality scope that is properly mounted. That is more than adequate for a hunting rifle. If it doesn't (and the shooter isn't to blame), then it needs some work. Glass beading, trigger work, free floating, etc. along with reloading to attain the best accuracy possible are the next steps. For the record, I have never had a rifle I couldn't get to shoot under an inch sized 3-shot group off the bench (many .5 inch and smaller) with some work. When I have encountered a problem setup, I usually found the problem involved trouble with the scope tracking. But then, I reload my own cartridges. That grouping size includes .22 rimfire rifles...they can be extremely accurate. For target rifles with heavy barrels, I shoot 5 shot groups under .5 inch. I have one target 308 that will print a small ragged hole at 100 yards with 5 rounds and sometimes at 200 yards if conditions are right.

Your Browning rifle should not have trouble shooting good factory ammo at 1.5 MOA @ 100 yards right from the box. But whether it will with the rounds you mention is as was said, would be a guess. That is because no two rifles shoot the same ammo exactly the same. The only way to know is shoot it and see. Thing you need to work on is consistency when you shoot. I see shooters at the range that don't follow a basic shooting regime and they wonder why the rifle isn't grouping properly. If you have not been properly trained on how to shoot, get a book on the subject or google it and I am sure you'll find some helpful info.

Good luck and I hope this helps you somewhat. If not, say so and I'll put my time into something more productive.