Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-20-2020, 12:10 PM

Default Saving Alberta Parks

There is small survey you can fill out which at this site which will let your MLA know that you care about the Parks in Alberta that are slated to be shut down.
You dont have to give your info, other than postal code, and it took me about 30 seconds to fill out including a comment on how important these places are to my family.

You might be surprised at how many of these places you and your family have visited over the years. After going through the list I found that I have been to 11 of them in the last 2 years.

Many of these are access areas to prime fishing locations and that could be gone if something were to happen to these down the road. I am not going to get into what could happen to this land if the parks are shut down or the whole political discussion around them.

But if you think fishing places are crowded now (and I know there are tons of threads on this site saying so) think about how it might look if these places were gone.

I encourage you to take 30 seconds to add your voice.

https://www.iusealbertaparks.org/

Cheers

J
Old 07-23-2020, 12:22 AM

Oh man that list is long. Gonna take me a good while.
I’d rather pay $5.70 per year for my household
Old 07-23-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Oh man that list is long. Gonna take me a good while.
I’d rather pay $5.70 per year for my household
Yup me too. Once they’re gone that it they ain’t coming back.
We already have campground shortages..
Old 07-23-2020, 09:24 AM

I almost never go to the fly fishing threads. I wonder if this should be moved to the general discussions to get more traffic.
A lot of these sites aren’t for fishing. Take the Sherwood Park natural area for example. We run there, walk there, take the kids to see wildlife all times of year. Wife was talking about it just this week telling the kids she heard the birds will eat seed from your hands so they want to go try it.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:31 PM

I posted this in the main forum as well. Dropped pretty quickly as do most "conservation" oriented posts in there.

J
Old 07-23-2020, 12:36 PM

update.....related article....

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ate-parks.html

J
Old 07-23-2020, 10:16 PM

This is such a bad idea (these closures).

All of these are slated for "delisting" (loses park status, reverts to crown land):

Ghost Reservoir,
Jumpingpound Creek,
Pine Top,
Lusk Creek,
Highwood River,
Cataract Creek,
North Ram River,
Prairie Creek,
Oldman River
Etc

Sh*t this is super depressing. I'm making an appointment to go see my MLA. I'll never vote UCP again, ever, if this goes through.
Old 07-24-2020, 01:10 AM

Default Save our parks

we all need to act on this subject 5 million is not a lot of money for the recreation we get from these lakes and parks, If they want to get rid of them they will have to be reclaimed and accesses made impassable so they cannot be used or they would have to monitor them. This means no access to many lakes and that would put an end to stocking program. Someone needs to get thinking about the cost to reclaim these sites and what it cost us all to build these sites Everyone needs to give some ideas how to continue keeping these parks open. please go to the site fill out and submit your ideas. I would be quite willing to pay a yearly Provincial Park and Crow Land Fee to use boat launches and day use areas buy a sticker the same as you do for the national park, you could then use all provincial park accesses. This would also include people camping out on crown land as well no one should get something for nothing we are all in this together. If fees can generate enough maybe some improvements could be made in places to help access so more people will use the sites to keep the parks viable.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielbo View Post
This is such a bad idea (these closures).

Sh*t this is super depressing. I'm making an appointment to go see my MLA. I'll never vote UCP again, ever, if this goes through.
Please go convince 20 of your closest friends to do the same, regardless if it does go through.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielbo View Post

Really? What is your alternative when it comes to voting? (Rhetorical as we don’t need to dig that up in this thread perhaps)
It’s probably an illusion that we live in a democracy to begin with, but you’re doing the right thing by going to see your MLA.
At the end of the day, there is not much within our control. If we bombard the offices with letters that is probably the most we can do.