Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
This is what I found doesn't say anything about Canada wide, provinces, is there another Peace I missed.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
So this doesn't really say he is suspended Canada wide or is there more not showing or in the article in the magazine does it stat he is banned Canada wide.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
So this doesn't really say he is suspended Canada wide or is there more not showing or in the article in the magazine does it stat he is banned Canada wide.
What the Fish and Wildlife told me is that Alberta has an agreement with Saskatchewan but not B.C.. I never asked him about other Provinces or Territories. I guess it could be researched but as far as I know there was no Canada wide ban.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:41 PM

I've never heard of a canada-wide ban I'm sure he's free to hunt in the Yukon, Nunavut and most every other province

Old 05-30-2020, 03:46 PM

I am pretty sure I have read other provinces verbiage in their reg books that say you cant obtain a non-res license if you have a suspension some where else. how they enforce that is a different story. I have also heard of a data base in the USA that links a the majority of the State agencies together for that purpose, wouldn't be surprised if the provinces were in on that as well.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:01 PM

thanks Jim Blake and 35 Whelen for the info
Old 05-30-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
I am pretty sure I have read other provinces verbiage in their reg books that say you cant obtain a non-res license if you have a suspension some where else. how they enforce that is a different story. I have also heard of a data base in the USA that links a the majority of the State agencies together for that purpose, wouldn't be surprised if the provinces were in on that as well.
That's how it should be no hunting should mean no hunting anywhere.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
This is what I found doesn't say anything about Canada wide, provinces, is there another Peace I missed.

Read the very next paragraph
Old 05-30-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Do some research, its been discussed on this form before!
I looked and could not find anything, care to enlighten me.
WDF
Old 05-30-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Read the very next paragraph
That just Says Alberta nothing about canada-wide

Old 05-30-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
That just Says Alberta nothing about canada-wide

Wow. Not sure if you can read or not.

It is unlawful to
Apply on draws or obtain a recreational licence in Alberta if
Your hunting privileges are suspended in Alberta or (elsewhere)

So if you suspended (elsewhere) then you cannot get a license

If you don’t believe me then check the regs for any province or territories and it will state the same.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:

It is unlawful to

If you don’t believe me then check the regs for any province or territories and it will state the same.
That still does not mean he is banned canada-wide maybe you should do some reading. That just means he can't apply or hunt in Alberta

Old 05-31-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
It certainly does look like someone can't read.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:55 AM

Part that irritates me is the number of stayed charges and the fact he only got dinged $25,000. I have a notion a few folk would be happy to pay $25,000 while making many, many times that from doing what he did. I mean just one of his trips to Africa was probably more than that. A lifetime ban on all hunting privileges woulda been nice to along with some time in a 6x9 cell with a good partner could be a bit of a deterrent to others who think it's the way to roll.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
Part that irritates me is the number of stayed charges and the fact he only got dinged $25,000. I have a notion a few folk would be happy to pay $25,000 while making many, many times that from doing what he did. I mean just one of his trips to Africa was probably more than that. A lifetime ban on all hunting privileges woulda been nice to along with some time in a 6x9 cell with a good partner could be a bit of a deterrent to others who think it's the way to roll.
A stayed charge is not an acquittal of the charge however , if he is charged again with anything those charges will become current
Cat
Old 05-31-2020, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
A stayed charge is not an acquittal of the charge however , if he is charged again with anything those charges will become current
Cat
Stayed charges only have a 1 yr. statute I believe.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:

It is unlawful to

I had a quick look at the B.C. reg booklet cant seem to see that anywhere can you post what page it is on.
Thanks.
Im just guessing your posting what you believe from reading the Alberta regs or is it posted in the court documents that he has a Canada wide Ban.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
I had a quick look at the B.C. reg booklet cant seem to see that anywhere can you post what page it is on.

Thanks.

Im just guessing your posting what you believe from reading the Alberta regs or is it posted in the court documents that he has a Canada wide Ban.
And yes I can read, I also had a look at the BC Regs and the Manitoba regs, and until I see proof that he's banned canada-wide I would say he's not.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
And yes I can read, I also had a look at the BC Regs and the Manitoba regs, and until I see proof that he's banned canada-wide I would say he's not.

I’m fairly certain he is free to hunt in other provinces...
Old 06-01-2020, 08:46 AM

Exactly see I can read

Old 06-01-2020, 11:29 AM

I heard the story awhile ago that he was shooting ducts on a pond and did not take them . Is that the only charge . How many ducks were there that he was given $25000. fine.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:41 AM

Bought the magazine yesterday, will likely become a subscriber as this magazine sure has come along ways from its inception.

IMO Nube got slapped fairly hard for his actions, but he also got away with 1/2 of the charges. He'll likely be hunting and guiding outside of Alberta if he wants too. He should consider himself lucky that this is all that he has to contend with.

Not unlike other police agencies that do a lot of hard work to arrest and charge, only to see judges go lightly on the accused.

We have the laws, the fines, the penalties, the courts just don't go lightly on those who are guilty.

BW
Old 06-01-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I heard the story awhile ago that he was shooting ducts on a pond and did not take them . Is that the only charge . How many ducks were there that he was given $25000. fine.
Best if you get the magazine and read the article. Usually they don't name the person, but there have been exceptions, and this was one of them.

As the article says and I quote, "Cahoon was charged with wildlife offences under the Alberta Wildlife Act, Migratory Birds Convention Act, 1994 and Criminal Code of Canada".

I agree with Bigwoodsman this Magazine if definitely worth supporting and getting a subscription to. There is a lot of effort put into publishing this magazine.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:30 AM

I'm going to make one last post in regards to this article in the Game Warden Magazine. I probably should have just typed it out one page at a time but I think this one will give some who still believe some kindness should be given to this guy a bit of an eye-opener.

Quote from the article:

"April 12, 2018. Officers obtained a cell phone video that showed Cahoon providing instructions, coaching and encouraging a minor, who loaded a rifle and shot at a game bird from a vehicle on a road."

Pretty much sums up the quality of character the investigators were dealing with.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
He will have payed a much higher price and lost his Trapline which was origionaly advertised in $100,000 range on the Little Smokey River. You are unable to hold a RFMA trapline if charged for major wildlife offence in Alberta.
Can we assume his wife will buy it? Maybe a close friend?
Old 06-02-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
I'm going to make one last post in regards to this article in the Game Warden Magazine. I probably should have just typed it out one page at a time but I think this one will give some who still believe some kindness should be given to this guy a bit of an eye-opener.

Quote from the article:

"April 12, 2018. Officers obtained a cell phone video that showed Cahoon providing instructions, coaching and encouraging a minor, who loaded a rifle and shot at a game bird from a vehicle on a road."

Pretty much sums up the quality of character the investigators were dealing with.
Not good to teach a minor this wrong practice.
I too have witnessed this when I have been invited out on a pheasant hunt from one of our A/O members that took me out in his truck . I know longer hunt with him .IT was not Cahoon.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post

Quote from the article:

And the real kicker, on Alberta Hunting Addicts Facebook group you can see his conversations with members chastising poachers and in his words “if my Mother was disappointed in me I might change my tune a bit and go down a different path” talking about a famous Alberta poacher.

Dude is wired wrong
Old 06-02-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
And the real kicker, on Alberta Hunting Addicts Facebook group you can see his conversations with members chastising poachers and in his words “if my Mother was disappointed in me I might change my tune a bit and go down a different path” talking about a famous Alberta poacher.

Dude is wired wrong
He's pretty active on there and doesn't seem very sheepish about past convictions