Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2021, 06:38 PM

I`m late to this one but ten year old glenmorangie is the best scotch for the money out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2021, 08:31 PM

Hilarious . . . . Albertans drinking that vile liquid. Betting most of you connoisseurs couldn't pass the taste test of Scotland's best and a glass of Coleman camp stove gas. Cowboys drink rye whiskey . . . don't let anyone tell ya' different. Put the screw top back on that tin of . . . (the men wear skirts, and haven't mastered the English language yet.)
Old 02-16-2021, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Lice View Post
Hilarious . . . . Albertans drinking that vile liquid. Betting most of you connoisseurs couldn't pass the taste test of Scotland's best and a glass of Coleman camp stove gas. Cowboys drink rye whiskey . . . don't let anyone tell ya' different. Put the screw top back on that tin of . . . (the men wear skirts, and haven't mastered the English language yet.)
Thanks for the contribution, as always, I really enjoyed the depth and humor. Brilliant.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-17-2021, 04:37 PM

Default Forever searching...

Ok, I'm going to wade in here...I've spent quite a bit of time going through this thread from the beginning. It's pretty cool to have followed some of your whisky journeys over the past few years. I've learned a lot just by reading. I have been a Scotch lover for many years now, but have only really ramped up the 'intensity' in the past 2-3 years. By that I mean, really relishing the experience with every dram. Working to find the nuances in every new whisky I have the good fortune to try. Branching out and trying different flavour profiles and trying to expand my nose and palate. Kind of a long intro, but I was looking forward to reaching the last page so I could finally get into the conversation!
I was at a tasting at Sherbrook Liquor almost a year ago today, and the selection was extensive! We were told that everything we were tasting was available to purchase from the store at a 10% discount after the tasting. I was stoked! I had tasted a Scotch that night that absolutely blew my mind - I had never tasted anything like it! I couldn't wait to get into the store to buy up all they had. Turns out, of all the bottles that were part of the tasting, THIS was the one they were sold out of.
I'd say long story short, but it's already long (sorry)...I've come to learn that I might never find the bottle I'm after. I've searched extensively to no avail. Auchentoshun Valinch (2012) might just be my unicorn. Has anyone here had the privilege? Dare I ask - do any of you have it in your stable??!
I will continue to search every liquor store I enter for the rest of my time, in hopes of finding that dusty box that has been overlooked for years...just to taste it one more time
Old 02-17-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venator View Post
I had tasted a Scotch that night that absolutely blew my mind - I had never tasted anything like it!
Distilled wool?
Old 02-17-2021, 05:00 PM

I've never hear of it Venator, I had to look it up. Looks interesting, pretty standard profile for an Auchentoshen. I would say good luck with it, and try some of the auction sites?

Check out Auchentoshan Valinch 2012 on Distiller!
https://distiller.com/spirits/auchentoshan-valinch-2012

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-16-2021, 10:49 PM

Not Scotch whisky tonight. I've actually been enjoying some Irish the last little while. A Redbreast 21 year old, which was the best Irish I had ever had, excellent stuff. And then more recently I picked up a couple bottles of Bushmill 21 year old. And all I can say is, wow. Really, wow. So smooth, creamy, loads of mango on the palate, cereal and malt and just plain goodness. Not a Scotch, but this is for sure in my Top 10. Maybe even Top 5. It is just that good. Value for price, compared to some of my favorite scotch, is excellent. Like, half, or a third the price. I love this stuff! I'm afraid this is going to not last for long, with St. Patrick's Day tomorrow it's just another excuse to have some more.

It is so good.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Not Scotch whisky tonight. I've actually been enjoying some Irish the last little while. A Redbreast 21 year old, which was the best Irish I had ever had, excellent stuff. And then more recently I picked up a couple bottles of Bushmill 21 year old. And all I can say is, wow. Really, wow. So smooth, creamy, loads of mango on the palate, cereal and malt and just plain goodness. Not a Scotch, but this is for sure in my Top 10. Maybe even Top 5. It is just that good. Value for price, compared to some of my favorite scotch, is excellent. Like, half, or a third the price. I love this stuff! I'm afraid this is going to not last for long, with St. Patrick's Day tomorrow it's just another excuse to have some more.

It is so good.
My favourite Irish whiskey to date is the Kilbeggan 17 year. I'll be sure to try the ones you mentioned!
Old 03-17-2021, 07:30 PM

Bushmill 21 year old. And all I can say is, wow. Really, wow. So smooth, creamy, loads of mango on the palate, cereal and malt and just plain goodness. Not a Scotch, but this is for sure in my Top 10. Maybe even Top 5. It is just that good. Value for price, compared to some of my favorite scotch, is excellent. Like, half, or a third the price. I love this stuff! I'm afraid this is going to not last for long, with St. Patrick's Day tomorrow it's just another excuse to have some more.

Ok here in BC at the gov. outlet this is priced at $255
They bless us with sale prices, sometimes, typically only 5%

What you paying in AB?
Old 03-17-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4570 View Post

What you paying in AB?
I paid $179 for it today. Frankly, I'm indifferent to this whisky. It's good, however I can't say that it is worth the price. I'm having a dram of Nikka From the Barrel and at a third of the cost of Bushmills it is a superior spirit in my humble, uneducated opinion. Nikka is a cask strength blended Japanese whisky by the way.
Old 03-17-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfisher View Post
I paid $179 for it today. Frankly, I'm indifferent to this whisky. It's good, however I can't say that it is worth the price. I'm having a dram of Nikka From the Barrel and at a third of the cost of Bushmills it is a superior spirit in my humble, uneducated opinion. Nikka is a cask strength blended Japanese whisky by the way.
Nikka FTB is pretty decent - but does need a bit of water and a few minutes to mellow, not that that's a bad thing.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Nikka FTB is pretty decent - but does need a bit of water and a few minutes to mellow, not that that's a bad thing.
Nikka is a dessert whisky to me, reminds me of Speyside malts. I take it neat, From The Bottle. I do prefer a peated Islay if we are talking about Scotch.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:28 AM

I used to drink Jamenson's until an Irishman gone me on Tullamore Dew. When it comes to Irish Whisky, that's what I drink now.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:53 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4570 View Post
Redbreast 21 year old. And all I can say is, wow. Really, wow. So smooth, creamy, loads of mango on the palate, cereal and malt and just plain goodness. Not a Scotch, but this is for sure in my Top 10. Maybe even Top 5. It is just that good. Value for price, compared to some of my favorite scotch, is excellent. Like, half, or a third the price. I love this stuff! I'm afraid this is going to not last for long, with St. Patrick's Day tomorrow it's just another excuse to have some more.

What you paying in AB?
low to mid 200's a bottle is pretty standard
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 03-18-2021, 10:46 AM

I was looking at a bottle of Gleann Dubh this weekend, peated Canadian whiskey, but didn't pull the trigger. Any Islay fans tried this one?
Old 03-18-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
low to mid 200's a bottle is pretty standard
Pretty sure I got the last bottle of Kilbeggan 17 year in Canada. Someone said they saw some at Heathrow airport, but that was a couple of years ago. It was around $175.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfisher View Post
Nikka makes some good whisky. It could very well be superior for you, everyone has a different palate, different things they like. There are whiskies that 20 years ago I absolutely loved, and now I'm indifferent to them, so palates change too. The Bushmills right now rubs me the right way, but I actually had a generous one last night, and then a Redbreast 21 (also generous) and I actually preferred the Redbreast last night.

It's odd how that happens. I had a limited edition Tobermory in my cabinet, it had been there for probably 8 years, and I had a nip now and then but distinctly remember being underwhelmed by it. The other night, I poured the last small bit of it, maybe an ounce. The cork had dried and even broke off in the bottle, so definitely time to finish it. And I was amazed by how good it was.

Whisky is interesting.

To answer an earlier question, the Bushmills was $180, but I did see it on sale at Craft Cellars for $155 the other day.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:27 PM

I was just thinking, further to my above post, on palates changing. I used to really enjoy Bowmore whiskey. Pretty much all of them, but the Dark and Mariner particularly. And then I noticed a few years back I wasn't enjoying them anymore. And then I was actually disliking them, so I stopped buying Bowmore. And then a while back, I came across a deal on a Bowmore 25 year, and read some really good reviews, so I bought it. I have tried it now 3 times. I didn't like the first try, but put it down to the 'neck pour'. A week or two later, tried again, and didn't like it. Last week I had friends over and I had randomly put a dozen bottles out, including the Bowmore. I was really enjoying the evening and towards the end, Dallas and I each tried the Bowmore (he also bought a bottle of the 25 on sale). He loves the Bowmore 25. And it pretty much ruined my palate for the evening, I could hardly get past how much I disliked it.

Strange but true, everyone else who tried it liked it. I just don't. I will keep it here for guests, but I don't think I will try it again. Not for a while anyway.

Maybe it's like some people have a gene the makes cilantro taste like soap to them. But I used to like Bowmore, now I just can't.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:49 PM
AO Sponsor

Totally agree with TC here! I can't say how many bottles I loved that now are just "meh' and bottle I never appreciated that now I love! I think there are too many variables to commit to a solid like or dislike period. You always have to keep retrying and varying the situations. Like after a meal, or around a fire, or as a first tasting versus the second (or in my case sometimes the 5th) tasting of the evening! Things like that.

Maybe a guy ate some spicy food earlier in the day and his tastebuds are a bit beat up versus the week before when he had nothing but water to drink. It all comes into play.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-22-2021, 05:23 PM

So to revive this I Tried something different last weekend. I put some scotch in the smoker with a cold smoker on for about an hour. Wow there was a pile of smoke taste that was great. Highly recommend.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 10-22-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
So to revive this I Tried something different last weekend. I put some scotch in the smoker with a cold smoker on for about an hour. Wow there was a pile of smoke taste that was great. Highly recommend.
Lagavulin 16 on a budget. Love it and will try it! As long as you keep the temp below 175F most of the alcohol should stay put.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:22 PM

Well since this is back up, I will throw out my latest that knocked my socks off. Bowmore Vault Edition, First Release. A friend gifted this to me, and I am really impressed with it. It is a non age statement, but very smooth, sea salt and apricots and a nice balance of smoke on the palate.

My favorite Bowmore by far. I actually have been down on Bowmore for a while, really hit and miss in my experience and I got tired of being disappointed. This one does not, very much recommend it.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Lagavulin 16 on a budget. Love it and will try it! As long as you keep the temp below 175F most of the alcohol should stay put.
Yeah so I use the "amaze" cold smoker. It is just a tube that you fill with pellets and light by hand, barely creates any heat.
I used a Glenfiddich 15 year Solera

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 01-26-2022, 02:00 PM

After drinking scotch for a couple years now ( including the wife's bucket list trip to Scotland ) I decided to try one of the smokey/peaty whiskies from Islay, Ardbeg 10. Boy was that a bad decision. I do not like it one bit. I've tried over 40 varieties and this was by far the worst I guess my palate prefers Lowland, Highland and Speyside varieties I have 3/4 of a bottle of Ardbeg in anyone wants it

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
I’ll toss a tray of ice cubes in the smoker once in a while. Let them thaw completely with a good smoke going. Then re-freeze.
Gives a nice bit of extra flavor
Old 01-26-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
After drinking scotch for a couple years now ( including the wife's bucket list trip to Scotland ) I decided to try one of the smokey/peaty whiskies from Islay, Ardbeg 10. Boy was that a bad decision. I do not like it one bit. I've tried over 40 varieties and this was by far the worst I guess my palate prefers Lowland, Highland and Speyside varieties I have 3/4 of a bottle of Ardbeg in anyone wants it

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Yes, those Islays seem to have that type of effect on people. You love them or you hate them. I was very big on them for about 10 years, that's what I really liked. I still do, but have found the last few years I'm preferring the other, sweeter end of the spectrum. Lately I've spent a fair bit of time with the Auchentoshen 3 wood, just a great dram at a reasonable price point. Caught a sale, bought a few, and it just hits all the right notes for me.

Old 01-26-2022, 06:31 PM

Actually quite enjoying a Johnny Walker red and Drambuie, Rusty Nail as we speak. A cheap and guilty pleasure at times!
Old 01-26-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Actually quite enjoying a Johnny Walker red and Drambuie, Rusty Nail as we speak. A cheap and guilty pleasure at times!
You should try Bessiedog's favorite drink. Gin and chocolate milk with a splash of Crown for spice, and some nutmeg sprinkle. He calls it a Brown Crown Stain.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:07 AM

Default Scotch

I have a bottle of, "Glenmorangie Traditional 100 Proof" that was given to me in 1999 from a guy I worked offshore with from Aberdeen, still in it's box with Burlap around it.

Is there an auction site or somewhere that would buy this??

Thanks,
Gabby.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:21 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby61 View Post
I have a bottle of, "Glenmorangie Traditional 100 Proof" that was given to me in 1999 from a guy I worked offshore with from Aberdeen, still in it's box with Burlap around it.

Is there an auction site or somewhere that would buy this??

Thanks,
Gabby.
It is a 10 year old whisky just at more of a cask strength. Now that it is disco'd though it is getting rarer so the certainly is some collector value. You could just list it pretty much anywhere. It is not an exceptionally expensive bottle or anything like that so with the current whisky boom you would probably find someone interested. I would guess a few hundred bucks +/- is not obnoxious to expect assuming it has been stored well and is decently consumable (you can get older bottles where they did not seal as well with corks drying etc and have been exposed to air and there is evaporation) but it is usually not so hard to tell.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca