Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 10:02 AM

Default Plastisol Question

Hello guys and gals, I've recently gotten into pouring my own swim baits and am having an awesome time with it. I've bought a few molds as well have made some molds myself out of fiberglass resin and plaster of paris. It's a blasty!

I was just wondering where a guy could get plastisol from in the Calgary area? I've searched all over the interwebs to no avail. I bought a gallon off ebay just to get a taste and now that I'm hooked i want more but the shipping and American dollar exchange is killer. I live in medicine hat and travel to Calgary often so I'm hoping to find a place there that sells it.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-25-2019, 10:25 AM

Likely tough to find in Alberta but there is options in Canada

I don’t pour soft plastics but plan to start this winter. I do build crankbaits and have seen plastisol( Alumilite brand for sure) for sale through one of the suppliers I use
Old 08-25-2019, 01:17 PM

Amazon.ca carries it.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:03 PM

I am fully aware that Amazon and ebay sell it as that is where I get it from currently. What I am looking to avoid is the high cost of shipping/dollar exchange. I'm pretty sure that 100 bucks per gallon is a tad high.

Thanks for the help though
Old 08-25-2019, 03:11 PM

Plastic world in Toronto sells plastisol (Alumilite brand) it’s not Alberta but not US shipping or duty
Old 08-25-2019, 03:27 PM

Lure making.com is another and you could also try bass magnet both in Ontario
Old 08-25-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Plastic world in Toronto sells plastisol (Alumilite brand) it’s not Alberta but not US shipping or duty
I did see that the other day. I'm really debating on getting the 5 gallon pail as that would make the shipping worth it but I'm not sure if I'm going to like it. The shipping on a gallon is pretty high so that's why I'm leaning towards the 5gal pail. I may have to order the 32oz bottle and try it out. At least the high shipping is justified by the speed of it. 3 days is better than paying the same for 2-3 weeks.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-Taco View Post
I did see that the other day. I'm really debating on getting the 5 gallon pail as that would make the shipping worth it but I'm not sure if I'm going to like it. The shipping on a gallon is pretty high so that's why I'm leaning towards the 5gal pail. I may have to order the 32oz bottle and try it out. At least the high shipping is justified by the speed of it. 3 days is better than paying the same for 2-3 weeks.
Shipping sucks but I would say 95% of my lure supplies I have to order from Ontario. Quantity is the key to make it worth while. Only one product I buy in western Canada do to lack of availability or not sold in the quantity I need

I have not used their plastisol but I have been happy with the quality of alumilite’s other products. I would still recommend a small order to see if you like their Plastisol. Do to quality of product and cost I use multiple brands for different steps in the process of my hard baits

Like I said presently not pour soft plastics but plan to start hand pouring this winter. I will be researching products and suppliers in the next while. If you want I can keep you in the loop on what I find for possible suppliers and availability of brands
Old 08-25-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-Taco View Post
I am fully aware that Amazon and ebay sell it as that is where I get it from currently. What I am looking to avoid is the high cost of shipping/dollar exchange. I'm pretty sure that 100 bucks per gallon is a tad high.

Thanks for the help though
Sorry buddy , my mind reading skills have been a little off lately, I wasn't fully aware that you were fully aware , good luck in your search.
By the way Amazon.ca is in Canadian funds and any product you by in Canada you get the pleasure of the short Canadian dollar. I don't care if you buy it at Canadian tire. But I'm sure you are "fully aware" of that too
Old 08-25-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Like I said presently not pour soft plastics but plan to start hand pouring this winter. I will be researching products and suppliers in the next while. If you want I can keep you in the loop on what I find for possible suppliers and availability of brands
Shipping does suck that's forsure. It's easy to chew through the plastisol once you get going and I think you are 100% right about quantity being the key when ordering. I'm hoping to find a brand I like with decent enough shipping to make it worth ordering larger volumes of plastics. I'll more than likely end up testing out the plastic world juice and see how it work for me. I'll probly pick up the hardener and softener as well just because I'm not sure how firm the raw plastic will be when poured. Guess we will find out!
Old 08-25-2019, 06:49 PM

Little off from the original question but curious what kind of baits are you pouring?
Old 08-26-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Little off from the original question but curious what kind of baits are you pouring?
So far I am dabbling with swimbaits of various sizes from 2-7 inches. I mostly fish for pike and walleye so the majority of my pours are geared towards that. I have several more molds on their way and hopefully arriving by the end of next week. I am only hand pouring at the moment but hopefully in the next month or 2 I will be picking up a dual injector and some injection molds.

These bad boys are 6 inches. I called them glitter perch. I have cast them from shore and they are heavy. My guess is around 3oz of just rubber, never mind the hardware. Hopefully after the long weekend I can get them in deeper water and see if I can get some teeth marks in them.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:24 AM

Pike should take those no problem as long as they have the action. Line through or are you rigging old school?

Large swimbaits with internal hardware is what I have interest in pouring but will make my own molds. I have had a couple designs in my head for years I need to bring to life. I have just been distracted working on my hard bait designs and delaying my ideas for soft plastic swimbaits

Right now I need to get my lure building room set up in my new place but if you’re up for swapping some lures in the winter or spring let me know. Maybe swap some of my crankbaits they range from 4.5-8 inches for some swimbaits
Old 08-26-2019, 08:30 AM

The best price I have found was a e-mail quote from these guys. I have not called more but it seems that the shipping bots can over charge international orders so it's best to call.

https://baitplastics.com/

$174 usd for a 5 gallon bucket shipped

I was getting alumisol from PM HobbyCrafts as a special order, but it's been a nightmare lately getting that across the border.

The do-it plastisol is too soft for pike lures.

Nice bait BTW where did you get that mold? if you have not found it already here is a youtube channel , he does some cool stuff with that mold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao3dggUqYig&t=775s
Old 08-26-2019, 09:11 AM

I like running my big swimbaits something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRNiBYuP864

Internal rigs seem to rip up baits too fast. the picture is a 6" shad bait that is absolute pike candy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QNUC2509.jpg (31.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-26-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I like running my big swimbaits something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRNiBYuP864

Internal rigs seem to rip up baits too fast. the picture is a 6" shad bait that is absolute pike candy
There is definitely advantages to that style of rigging under the right conditions. The internal system I am planning is not conventional and will play a roll in the lures action as well.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
The best price I have found was a e-mail quote from these guys. I have not called more but it seems that the shipping bots can over charge international orders so it's best to call.

https://baitplastics.com/

$174 usd for a 5 gallon bucket shipped

I was getting alumisol from PM HobbyCrafts as a special order, but it's been a nightmare lately getting that across the border.

The do-it plastisol is too soft for pike lures.

Nice bait BTW where did you get that mold? if you have not found it already here is a youtube channel , he does some cool stuff with that mold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao3dggUqYig&t=775s
Thanks!

I actually emailed baitplastics last night to see if they shipped to Canada and they said that they do so that's an option too. I have read/watched that the bigger swimbaits need to be made with a more stiff plastic which makes sense for those toothy wolves. Plus just the weight of the bait itself will become an issue over time when casting. Just need to play around with formulas and adding hardener and find the right mix. I will check out that you tube channel for sure.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:45 AM

For my rigging I like to use a external type setup. A screw into the nose of the bait and posts for hooks down the belley. I also make my own with 60lb wire, 40lb swivels and some small crimps/split rings.

Something similar to this. This one is a setup that I bought pre made.