Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 07:17 PM

Default John Ware movie

The story of John Ware is tough to resist — a freed slave who made his way north to establish a ranch in what became Alberta — and is now the subject of a National Film Board movie being shot on the old Ware homestead.

Cheryl Foggo, the Calgary writer behind the production, previously tackled Ware's story in a play but can't shake the pull of the early settler.

"I think it's in part because of who he was. He's really just an amazing person and there's always more for me to discover as I go along," she told The Homestretch while discussing her film, John Ware: Reclaimed.

Ware arrived in southern Alberta in 1882 and worked as a ranchhand before establishing his own cattle operation. He eventually settled in the area of what is now Brooks.

more..... http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...film-1.4247426

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 02-19-2018, 08:04 PM

John Ware's last house is located at Dinosaur Provincial Park. Before moving to just north of Brooks, he worked at the Bar U Ranch just south of Longview and later moved to what is now Millarville. Harry Longabaugh aka the Sundance Kid also worked at the Bar U Ranch.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:09 PM

John Ware's last house is located in Dinosaur Provincial Park. Before moving to just north of Brooks, he worked at the Bar U Ranch just south of Longview and later moved to what is now Millarville. Harry Longabaugh later known as the Sundance Kid also worked at the Bar U Ranch and was later part owner of a bar in the National Hotel which was located on the NW corner of 9th Ave and 1st St SE, Calgary, before he returned to the U.S. and ended up running with Robert Leroy Parker aka Butch Cassidy and the Wild Bunch.

Sources for Harry Longabaugh are the Bar U Ranch, Calgary Sun, High River Times, Calgary Police archives and the Glenbow Museum

Last edited by Jack Hardin; 02-19-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:12 PM

Well I’ll be a suck egg mule .. Pretty interesting .. I was at the bar U ranch but I was to young to remember any of the history .. might have to head down that way again and do some research ...
Old 02-19-2018, 08:13 PM

Fantastic! Thank you for posting, I had not heard about this. Great to hear that Ware's story will be re-enacted by someone legitimately familiar with the role.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:14 PM
Banned

Looking forward to seeing it!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:22 PM

I always like hearing stories about local history and early settlers with real mettle in their spirit who made successes of themselves. I can't imagine what winter would be like with the type of footwear they'd have had at the time. I know the furs and wool would perform well, but I've never seen old winter boots that look anything but bone-chilling....
Old 02-19-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
John Ware's last house is located at Dinosaur Provincial Park. Before moving to just north of Brooks, he worked at the Bar U Ranch just south of Longview and later moved to what is now Millarville. Harry Longabaugh aka the Sundance Kid also worked at the Bar U Ranch.
Think there's a monument at his old farm west of Millarville as well. The John Ware ridge, that prominent set of Hills near there, used to be known as the ****** John before the days of political correctness and everyone thought of it as an honor.

Grizz
Old 02-19-2018, 11:01 PM

Seen a documentary on him some time ago ,remarkable human being. Extraordinary stamina.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:15 PM

Diamond Joe White wrote a great song about him. "Highrider"