Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 10:19 AM

Question Have You Ever Forgot Your Ammo?

Ok I do admit I get a chuckle when guys are discussing what calibers to buy. Invariably, the old "availability of ammo" argument pops up as the sure fire reason why to avoid/purchase a particular firearm.

Honest question. Has anyone actually been in a situation where they needed Bob's Hardware Store to have their caliber sitting on the shelf? Any real world emergencies or is this a fallacy?

I do lock all of my firearms/ammo cases with combo locks. I can imagine myself losing a key. But leaving ammo at home? I dunno...
Old 01-16-2020, 10:28 AM

I don’t think anyone actually forgets their ammo, that being said I’d like finding my ammo not be a chore without driving all over. Some people also live in the country and don’t want to drive a couple hours to get ammo
Old 01-16-2020, 10:34 AM

My hunting partner forgot his ammo once. Good thing both of us always keep a couple spare rounds in our pack...

Didnt matter much anyways that day
Old 01-16-2020, 10:37 AM

If it happens and you are out hunting with a buddy (s), its nice if they shoot the same caliber as you. If you reload, you are screwed unless you re-sight in with the factory ammo your huntin gbuddy shoots.

Trust me it happens. Whats even funnier is when your buddy forget his clip. If you shoot the same rifles and have a spare, its free reign for beer and wings from your buddy.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:49 AM

Can't forget ammo if a store doesn't stock it because I roll my own.

Never forgot ammo.

Have forgotten arrows with broadheads.

Have forgotten to bring a rifle on a hunt.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:53 AM

Hate to admit it but years ago I forgot my bolt. Drove out to a site looked for my bolt could not find it spent the night and the next day drove home

Had a buddy who forgot the key for his trigger lock. We drove to the nearest town and found a locksmith who took the lock off

Heard of a guy who forgot his boots and wore his buddies extra boots but had to quit when the blisters got to be to much
it happens more as you get older.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:59 AM

I bought the Cabelas gun case that has an ammo pouch on the side. Really handy to have the box of ammo right there. Where the case goes so does the ammo.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:08 AM

I haven't ever had this issue and I won't pick caliber based on if Bob Hardware will stock it.

I have read stories of guys having their ammo not make it to the hunting destination when hunting overseas. That would be a bad time to shoot a wildcat.

I also remember reading one that went something like- Guy was way back in the mountains, only had 5 rounds. Found a sheep and missed it three shots. Looked at his gun and his scope ring was loose on the rail. I don't carry an wrench or enough ammo for a proper sight-in but this story haunts me. It would be a horrible way to end a 10 day hunt.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I haven't ever had this issue and I won't pick caliber based on if Bob Hardware will stock it.

I have read stories of guys having their ammo not make it to the hunting destination when hunting overseas. That would be a bad time to shoot a wildcat.

I also remember reading one that went something like- Guy was way back in the mountains, only had 5 rounds. Found a sheep and missed it three shots. Looked at his gun and his scope ring was loose on the rail. I don't carry an wrench or enough ammo for a proper sight-in but this story haunts me. It would be a horrible way to end a 10 day hunt.
My goodness. Definitely gives a good argument for leaving a full box in the truck on a sheep hunt. That’s crazy. Good thing my two sheep partners shoot the same cal as me.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:18 PM

I just leave mine loaded so its always ready
Old 01-16-2020, 12:30 PM

I have never forgotten ammunition on a hunt. And I wound never go a considerable distance to hunt, without plenty on ammunition. The people that actually run out of ammunition on a hunt, do so because of poor preparation. And if they did need to buy ammunition at the local hardware store, how many people would actually verify the zero with the new load?
Old 01-16-2020, 12:33 PM

Default No ammo?

Got caught this year for the first time!
I was shooting my blaser r8 for which I have three different barrels. Made a last minute decision to grab it for the trip, "assuming" I had my '06 barrel on it, only to arrive at destination with a 9.3x62!
Good thing I always have a back-up gun along. Packed in with my 405 winchester instead.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:18 PM

Default forgot ammo

Northern BC, a few years ago. Took all my gear in on horses, huntin Stone's. Had two packs, lots of extra stuff. Full boxes of ammo in my saddlebag and both packs. Whether was good, ditched a bunch of gear at camp, shuffled stuff around, decided to take the pack with a gunboot, hiked directly out of camp cuz we saw rams way up a valley. So no horses. Checked & double-checked, made sure I had everything, checked again, made sure rifle clip was full. I shoot a T3, had put in a 5-shot clip instead of the standard 3-shot years ago. My outfitter friend had his son along, so my pack was light, 3 guys to carry stuff. Off we went at first-light, hike all day, way back up into God's country, loop around over the ridge. Take packs off, last few hundred yards to the top. Bino's, scope & tripod, hoodie, extra shells. Except...no extra shells. I tore that pack apart, unseen, while the guys glassed the rams at 450 yards. WHAT??? Every pocket, every zipper. Every jacket and pair of pants. Nothing. Not one extra round. Here I was, within range of 5 rams, one good one, and i had the 5 rounds in my clip. No other guns. I gulped. Never said a word. We got within 320, i laid down and tipped him over with two shots. Dropped my head in relief. 3 rounds left for the bears on the way out.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:28 PM

One of my old hunting buddies forgot his rifle on the floor of his kitchen one time when we used to go hunting after school for a few hours. That was the day we saw a decent buck, and when we geared up to go after it, he realized the one important item that he left behind that day lol.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:40 PM

My wife dropped me off so I could hike back to camp. Grabbed my rifle and realized the trigger lock was on it and no key. Luckily I had youtubed picking that lock before going out. Picked the lock and continued with the hunt.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:45 PM

When my son was just starting out in his hunting career I took him on a whitetail hunt.

Got his rifle out of the case and had him all set including ammo.

Reached into the truck for my rifle... to my dismay I had left it at home.

My gun was in its case at the back door of the house right where I always put them the night before a day out in the field.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:47 PM

Not yet but I am getting older...….!
Old 01-16-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have never forgotten ammunition on a hunt. And I wound never go a considerable distance to hunt, without plenty on ammunition. The people that actually run out of ammunition on a hunt, do so because of poor preparation. And if they did need to buy ammunition at the local hardware store, how many people would actually verify the zero with the new load?
all this sensible thinking talk is going to diminish the "remote gas station availability" argument.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:28 PM

I had a hunting partner forget his ammo, He will never live it down. I once accidentally grabbed 2 boxes of lead shot when going on a duck hunt. I ended up just observing that hunt from the blind. Of course my friends would not share ammo because I had to learn a lesson....

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-16-2020, 05:29 PM

Came close last season. I hunt some private land that is foot access only. One of the ranch hands came by as we were getting ready to set off and offered us a ride into the back country if we hurried. I left my magazine in the cup holder. Did not realize until the ranch hand dropped us up top and drove off. I had no problem with a single shot but I sure felt stupid. On a positive note, I only needed the one shot.
______

Watched my father screw one up years back. We were sitting in the truck and glassing the coulees when suddenly his buck is right in front of us on the stubble. We bail out, he throws one cartridge on the feed tray and jams it up solid when he slammed the bolt forwards. He sets his rifle down under a flurry of religious profanities as I hand him mine and he drops his buck. As soon as I watch the buck drop, I start tinkering with his rifle. He grabbed a handful of 303 ammo instead of the required 270. I started howling as soon as I saw the rimmed casing. The old man would not talk to me the rest of the day, for which I enjoyed the silence.

Last edited by raised by wolves; 01-16-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:59 PM

Hell, I went 200 miles for coyotes once n forgot my gun
Old 01-16-2020, 06:09 PM

A few of us went coyote hunting and we found out buddy’s gun was out alignment. He spent all his ammo getting it figured out. Lucky drumeller Walmart was open that day and sold his ammo. That’s why I pack 50-100 with me just in case.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Hate to admit it but years ago I forgot my bolt. Drove out to a site looked for my bolt could not find it spent the night and the next day drove home

Had a buddy who forgot the key for his trigger lock. We drove to the nearest town and found a locksmith who took the lock off

Heard of a guy who forgot his boots and wore his buddies extra boots but had to quit when the blisters got to be to much
it happens more as you get older.

Trigger locks come off in about 15 seconds with a hack saw. I lost my keys before so i would know, only to find them once i cut them off.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
Hell, I went 200 miles for coyotes once n forgot my gun
Ok, you win....lol
Old 01-16-2020, 07:51 PM

Default Wrong gun or wrong Ammo once

When I was living in the states I took a family trip to South Dakota to hunt turkeys. I had a 3 1/2" Harrington and Richardson 12 gauge with a turkey choke as my main turkey gun.

The first gun I bought was a 20 gauge Harrington and Richardson.

I grabbed the 20 gauge gun with the 12 gauge shells and drove 7 hours to hunt turkeys.

The morning of the first day I realized my mistake and resigned myself to using someone else's gun once they had filled their tag.

I dropped my sister and her husband off at the top of a draw, grabbed my .22 revolver and went to visit the local Prarie dog town. On the way I saw a huge field full of turkeys scratching away.

The regulations allowed for using a rifle both spring and fall so I snuck up to within 10 yards or so from the birds. I picked out a nice Tom and decided to try a headshot. I took careful aim on the bobbing target, slowly squeezed the trigger and cleanly missed. The field erupted with turkeys flying and running everywhere.

I stood up held down the trigger and fanned the hammer as fast as I could just like the westerns. I drilled the big Tom in the wing. Followed him to the top of a draw and shot him three times in the back as he lay at the bottom.

I met my family mid morning as the first person to fill their tag.

Bringing the wrong gun gave me the best memory and taught me a lesson about double checking the simple things.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:59 PM

Lol Ithica. Awesome!
Old 01-17-2020, 01:15 AM

Got up at 4:30 and drove 80km to hunt white tails with my bow. Got dressed at the truck and just as I was starting my walk in, I realized I forgot my release. So stupid! I always bring 2 now.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Ok I do admit I get a chuckle when guys are discussing what calibers to buy. Invariably, the old "availability of ammo" argument pops up as the sure fire reason why to avoid/purchase a particular firearm.

Honest question. Has anyone actually been in a situation where they needed Bob's Hardware Store to have their caliber sitting on the shelf? Any real world emergencies or is this a fallacy?

I do lock all of my firearms/ammo cases with combo locks. I can imagine myself losing a key. But leaving ammo at home? I dunno...
You could even forget the combo those locks you mention.
Have had to run up the river and into he village of Ladner in years past to buy shot shells after starting out with less than a full box or two between us.
There there was the time someone forgot the paper...
The very important paper.
Rob
Old 01-17-2020, 06:39 AM

I see mention of forgetting trigger lock keys or the bolt I don't use trigger locks, on non restricted firearms and I store the bolts in the rifles to avoid those issues. I use other methods to legally store my non restricted firearms. Losing a bolt can be very expensive, and can leave a rifle unusable for an entire hunting season.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:10 AM

Went out one fine winters day to call coyotes. Get to my spot and park. Get all ready to walk in to the first stand and realized I forgot the detachable magazine for my 204. Shortest calling day ever as got back in truck and came home.

I switched all my trigger locks over to combination style ones and they all have the same combination because I knew sure as poop, I would forget the keys one day.