Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-13-2020, 11:01 PM

Please share the draft allocation policy.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Sorry to hear this from you....

When We fought like lions to save sheep from going on draw (before your tenure), the key to our success was open dialogue, sharing info with the Whole hunting community and loud voices.

You're pretty much offering the opposite....
Sorry walking buffalo. When I said I will not comment further on this forum I really meant thread as I was just stating there is nothing factual more to say about this topic. Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta is obviously willing to talk about anything. To me there is nothing to discuss other than assumptions that simply aren’t true. If anyone on here wants to talk, call us or email us. We all have our emails and phone numbers on our website www.wsfab.org. Walking Buffalo I do not believe I am offering the opposite.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesneights View Post
Sorry walking buffalo. When I said I will not comment further on this forum I really meant thread as I was just stating there is nothing factual more to say about this topic. Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta is obviously willing to talk about anything. To me there is nothing to discuss other than assumptions that simply aren’t true. If anyone on here wants to talk, call us or email us. We all have our emails and phone numbers on our website www.wsfab.org. Walking Buffalo I do not believe I am offering the opposite.
Have you seen the draft of the allocation policy that walking buffalo refers to?
Old 01-14-2020, 06:56 AM

So what is the truth?

-Billy Molls
Old 01-14-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Just for the record as I am a director for Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta. As of right now we do not believe in any regulations changes. We have had meetings with government and they have ensured us that there is no change in the foreseeable future. If you have any questions or concerns for Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta feel free to email info@wsfab.org and become a member to stay up to date with monthly email blasts and newsletters keeping membership informed. Anything other than what I just stated is speculation and I will not comment further on this forum.
Unfortunately WSFA means nothing when it comes to politics.. just like fisheries and what the environmental minister can justify. The only good news is it COULD only last 4 years..
Old 01-14-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Perspective.... look at it from another angle.

You again say you will add nothing more. This alone is concerning, and just not needed.
Despite acknowledging that more incorrect information and assumptions are being spread around, instead of offering the information, you decide to withhold it....

This is a problem. We NEED people like you that are in the know to speak up, keep us informed.

This is not an indictment of you. You are the first current director to give any updates, and deserve recognition and a thank you.

This is an indictment of the common attitude of all stakeholder groups over the last few years, since AGPAC was formed... the secrecy and lack of communication is deafening.

The ONLY reason sheep are NOT on a draw right now is because of Loud Voices preaching to the masses. Not allowing assumptions and incorrect information to reign. I hope you keep speaking up.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-14-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
Fantastic news........I'm glad they figured it out and made it right.
Congrats on the ram!!!
x2!!
Old 01-14-2020, 07:07 PM

I currently sit on the board for WSFAB. As of right now there is no talks of sheep going on draw and I have no reason to believe there will be anytime soon. Here are the facts and if your a member we share this through our email blasts. We are here to inform our membership of any happenings going on with the organization. However we don’t like to use platforms such as this site to do so. So please if you wish to stay informed sign up, it’s not expensive.

Here are the facts we know so far

AEP had a 20% cut last year

Stake holders have been asked to be involved in the making of a new Bighorn management plan. We had our first meeting early Dec and it was productive. All stakeholders had a common message that we are not open to sheep going on draw which seemed well received by government. There were also AEP biologists involved which hasn’t been common practice in the past.

There will be more meetings in the next few months and we will inform our membership about the meetings as they happen through our email blasts.

Our current environment minister does not hide behind his title and is open to talking with the general public. He doesn’t seem to have hidden agendas and I don’t believe he will be easily persuade by biologists that do.

That’s what we know and I do t sign in here often. Although I agree with WB about a big voice is what’s fended off draw in the past you won’t get up to date happenings on this thread from our board.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
I currently sit on the board for WSFAB. As of right now there is no talks of sheep going on draw and I have no reason to believe there will be anytime soon. Here are the facts and if your a member we share this through our email blasts. We are here to inform our membership of any happenings going on with the organization. However we don’t like to use platforms such as this site to do so. So please if you wish to stay informed sign up, it’s not expensive.

Stake holders have been asked to be involved in the making of a new Bighorn management plan. We had our first meeting early Dec and it was productive. All stakeholders had a common message that we are not open to sheep going on draw which seemed well received by government. There were also AEP biologists involved which hasn’t been common practice in the past.

There will be more meetings in the next few months and we will inform our membership about the meetings as they happen through our email blasts.

Our current environment minister does not hide behind his title and is open to talking with the general public. He doesn’t seem to have hidden agendas and I don’t believe he will be easily persuade by biologists that do.

That’s what we know and I do t sign in here often. Although I agree with WB about a big voice is what’s fended off draw in the past you won’t get up to date happenings on this thread from our board.

Thank you LR, that’s good to hear! I will say though, that as a member of WSFAB, I hadn’t gotten the kind of clarification regarding sheep going on draw or not in the last few news letters as what you just provided. I still think it’s a good idea for anyone who cares about hunting wild sheep to join.

Also, if there’s anything that our community can do to help let us know. We need to band together when there’s threat to our ways of life.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post

Have you seen the draft allocation policy?
Old 01-14-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Have you seen the draft allocation policy?
No
Old 01-14-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram94 View Post
Thank you LR, that’s good to hear! I will say though, that as a member of WSFAB, I hadn’t gotten the kind of clarification regarding sheep going on draw or not in the last few news letters as what you just provided. I still think it’s a good idea for anyone who cares about hunting wild sheep to join.

Also, if there’s anything that our community can do to help let us know. We need to band together when there’s threat to our ways of life.
That might be because there hasn’t been any talk of regulation changes come from the gov for about 17 months.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:43 PM

I have sat in on AGPAC and sheep focus group meetings and no one is talking regulation change.
I will say this new minister seems to want and value the input from user groups and less red tape.
I'm sure there are certain groups out there that want a draw and have that as an agenda item but they certainly are not the majority at these meetings.
This Decembers "Sheep focus" group was simply getting user groups together and conduction a jurisdictional scan to model whats important to all groups. WSFAB, SCI, AB bowhunters, APOS, BHA, and a few bios were in attendance. Its the first of more to come but basically is was a poll of what groups found important when it came to Bighorn sheep and bighorn sheep hunting in Alberta. Habitat, disease, ewe harvest, predators, opportunity, and trophy quality were discussed.
WSFA is a busy place. Currently the board is working on Habitat projects, We have program on the ground for predator management in SMA's,
We work with AEP on Arial surveys in SMA's ever year.
We are currently working with 4-h and domestic sheep producers to promote a movi and disease free sheep herd(s) as well as education on domestic sheep separation.
All while making the wheels turn and fun raise to meet our objectives.
I believe WSFA is here for our Bighorn sheep #1 and to support Alberta's grassroots sheep hunter.
We are not a trophy hunting cigar and whisky club.
If we want to do the most for our sheep its going to be through habitat management. There are many spokes that come off this hub and it takes allot of cooperation from govt agencies and other like minded organizations.
Come to this years banquet and AGM march 7th
We will have AEP there to discuss and go over the bighorn jig.
As well Paul Frame the provincial predator bio will be there in the afternoon to discuss predators and predator management strategies

Last edited by medicmoose; 01-14-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicmoose View Post

From AFGA website 2019 Resolutions

BE IT RESOLVED THAT the Alberta Fish and Game Association request that if the Government of Alberta determines that, in addition to action on predator management and habitat enhancement, it is necessary to reduce harvest of mature bighorn rams, that the option of a draw system be used as it is the fairest way to distribute the available harvest when demand exceeds supply of a limited resource; CARRIED with 6 opposed (approximately 95.1%)

BRIEF: Much discussion within the hunting community has failed to yield a consensus as to whether a reduction in harvest of mature rams is necessary for the health of our Bighorn Sheep resources, and if so how to achieve it. A province wide "full curl" rule is favored by some as a means of preserving the best genetics, but if the "genetic harm" theory promoted by some biologists has any validity in an open population such as our bighorn sheep herds, a full curl rule would further exacerbate "genetic harm" as harvest would be directed at narrower range of horn types. Further, many rams would succumb to winter kill, predation, or other causes without ever being legal to harvest, which is a waste of the resource, and in many sheep ranges the opportunity to harvest a "legal" ram would be near zero.

AEP RESPONSE: Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) recognizes this recommendation and will consider it in discussions if it becomes necessary to reduce harvest of bighorn sheep rams in the future. Currently, sheep populations are stable in Alberta and the number of rams harvested remains at approximately 150 per year. Fewer rams on the landscape, however, are getting to older ages and size classes as they are harvested once they reach legal size. Future discussions with Albertans will also need to consider tools and potential options in managing harvesting opportunities and increasing the age class and size of rams on the landscape.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:51 PM

I see now you edited your post...anyways, that is where people got the idea.