Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2019, 07:29 PM

Question where are all the goose hunters????

might be the third largest staging of both Canada and snow geese I've ever seen in 40 years. gorgeous day and nary a shotgun blast to be heard. not a hunter, did goose hunting end in October?

thoughts
Old 11-02-2019, 07:40 PM

Whereabouts?
Cat
Old 11-02-2019, 07:41 PM

I don't think there's many geese left in this area. Water is mostly frozen.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:49 PM

there is one very large lake in southern alberta with open water and the goose stage area is a good two football fields big. very accessible, yet a not a pop pop pop to be heard for miles.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:56 PM

There are actually three stagings, at one point half of one and half of another lifted and crossed paths, then one turned and landed again with the other. Not sure why I don't film these things more often or at all. Saw some pretty nice bucks standing and staring.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:39 PM

Default Goose Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
there is one very large lake in southern alberta with open water and the goose stage area is a good two football fields big. very accessible, yet a not a pop pop pop to be heard for miles.
Scrounged out 74 snows yesterday between 2 of us, not many hunters around and not a lot of canadas or ducks but still a good shoot. Maybe the best is still to come.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
might be the third largest staging of both Canada and snow geese I've ever seen in 40 years. gorgeous day and nary a shotgun blast to be heard. not a hunter, did goose hunting end in October?

thoughts
I love goose.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-03-2019, 01:01 AM

Quote:

thoughts
I thought it was the decline in waterfowlers that led to the changes in this years regs?
Old 11-03-2019, 12:36 PM
Gone Hunting

I wish I could find something like that around here.

But it does not happen here.

For one thing, We don't see huge number up here.
Plus the geese left here a month ago, and when they are here, the southern outfitters have all the good places tied up and drive others off the adjacent properties.

It used to be good here but not any more. Although we didn't see the numbers you guys do down there, we did get them before they got educated.
Now they get that education right here and they don't hang around like they used to because of it.

I would go south to hunt them if I could, but for now I'm without wheels.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-03-2019, 01:38 PM

Lots of Canada around Ft. Macleod and Lethbridge area, but only saw one snow this year so far.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:17 PM

Edmonton area has nothing. We drove on Friday north to Shoal lake, east to birch lake and south east to Canmore and every single water body is frozen. Have seen a few folks flying really high heading south. I heard that there are some birds left by Athabaskan River but not much...
Old 11-03-2019, 06:49 PM

For those needing to shoot geese with gun or camera, PM me and I'll forward the staging areas. Last time I spotted a legged game while out fishing, I was grilled pretty bad on the board. Will accept disagreements in PM if you don't like me handing out the area. I don't think it's a secret.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:49 PM
Banned

Keno lake has open water still.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Keno lake has open water still.
Yes, but there is a broken crust around most of the edge for about 12 feet +-,, if your dog goes in, it might have a heck of a time getting out with a goose in its mouth. Half of Keho is covered as is the inlet. If we can get some more cold with no snow, three good inches possible for the gutstsier, younger ice fishing crowd.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:59 AM

Yesterday, I saw over 5000 Canadas, just running my dog. Today i saw a total of 11. It seems like every couple of days, a large amount congregates on the river or the lagoon, they feed all day for a day, then they are gone.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:13 PM

I went out goose hunting in wainwright this weekend. Wasn’t very successful but we managed 1 bird. Lots were just not entertaining our spread and flying to high to a field a mile away they never get pressure in. Learnt a few more things late season goose hunting.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:04 PM

Heard Shotguns today, finally.

Hope the hunters were warmer than me fishing the lakeshore, brrr, humidity needs to be gone.

Still lots of birds out there, I'm not sure there are many bodies of water open which might explain the big flocks. lots in fields too.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:47 PM

I was in Namao area of Edmonton yesterday during the snow and I have seen 4 huge flocks flying pretty low coming from the north. All snowies. There were probably thousand birds in each wave! Wonder where they were coming from!