Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
I’m not aware of any speed limits other than the typical “no wake” zones in channels, harbours, locks etc.
x2
I was on Lake Joseph a year ago.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:11 AM
Banned

A few things,

I’m glad his wife was charged, gives me a little more hope that it was actually her driving however, I find it really suspicious the penalty is jail time or $1 million fine. How about the dr, can he pay $1 million and walk away? Seems like a person with political clout has something to do with the crime and punishment.

Another thing, these are all just charges, still lots of question as to the who’s, what’s, and how’s. There is still the trial to go through but I imagine Greenspan will make it a fairly painless event.

$1,000,000 fine and all is well.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
A few things,

I’m glad his wife was charged, gives me a little more hope that it was actually her driving however, I find it really suspicious the penalty is jail time or $1 million fine. How about the dr, can he pay $1 million and walk away? Seems like a person with political clout has something to do with the crime and punishment.

Another thing, these are all just charges, still lots of question as to the who’s, what’s, and how’s. There is still the trial to go through but I imagine Greenspan will make it a fairly painless event.

Those are the maximum penalties. A judge rarely awards maximum penalties, she could just as easily be found guilty and get a $5k fine.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:22 AM

Not much in the way of speed limits for boats day or night except the standard 10 kph within 30 meters of shore and this:

Every vessel shall at all times proceed at a safe speed so that you can take proper and appropriate action to avoid collision, and be able to stop in a safe distance, and appropriate to the prevailing circumstances and conditions.

Pretty much leaves it open to interpretation by both operators and judges
Old 09-26-2019, 09:25 AM

I see boats anchored offshore all the time. No lighting required. (At least not enforced anyway...) think the onus is on the boat in motion.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:37 AM

So if it is a max fine of $1 million where the heck does that money go?
Old 09-26-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I see boats anchored offshore all the time. No lighting required. (At least not enforced anyway...) think the onus is on the boat in motion.
Agreed. Also a speed limit may be 100 kph but the law states an example of careless driving is when you drive faster than visibility . Fog is an example
Old 09-26-2019, 10:52 AM

Sounds like both are in the wrong and pretty much equally so.

Regardless of the specific rules anyone who drives at cruising speed in the dark without a high powered spotlight at least is an idiot. There is a lot of stuff you can hit that would put the boat in danger. Rocks, logs, large swimming animals like a moose, drifting boat broken from its mooring. Even radar will not catch everything that can sink a ski boat although its pretty likely they did not have that anyways.

I believe it is the law for any boat on the water whether moving or not to have a light displayed at night. I believe if at anchor the color of light is suppose to be different as well to indicate such. Not sure if lake rules are the same as marine rules however laws of self preservation says light yourself up ya idiot.

Sad preventable incident.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
"Richard Ruh, 57, of Orchard Park, N.Y., has been charged with failing to exhibit a navigation light while underway, in contravention of Section 23 of the Canada Shipping Act, collision regulations."
Old 09-26-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
"Richard Ruh, 57, of Orchard Park, N.Y., has been charged with failing to exhibit a navigation light while underway, in contravention of Section 23 of the Canada Shipping Act, collision regulations."
What’s “underway@?
Thought he was stationary...
Old 09-26-2019, 11:39 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Sounds like both are in the wrong and pretty much equally so.

Regardless of the specific rules anyone who drives at cruising speed in the dark without a high powered spotlight at least is an idiot. There is a lot of stuff you can hit that would put the boat in danger. Rocks, logs, large swimming animals like a moose, drifting boat broken from its mooring. Even radar will not catch everything that can sink a ski boat although its pretty likely they did not have that anyways.

I believe it is the law for any boat on the water whether moving or not to have a light displayed at night. I believe if at anchor the color of light is suppose to be different as well to indicate such. Not sure if lake rules are the same as marine rules however laws of self preservation says light yourself up ya idiot.

Sad preventable incident.
People are so stupid it is unreal! I just watched a news story, a guy was coming back to shore from offshore fishing, turned on the autopilot and went to bed. Everyone was asleep. The boat actually ran into a cave and they all nearly died.
These small boats (under 40') do not have collision avoidance systems built in, they sometimes have radar set to 'beep' if something is in the way, but to hit the throttle and sleep is nothing short of retarded.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-26-2019, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Good grief.

What is wrong with discussing, with having opinions based on information available?

Once again, opinions not allowed, they differ with some so they are wrong.

Why do some of you people even reply in here?

Just to give people hell?

We don't need nannies, we have AO curmudgeon in spades.

I believe another guy got called a troll for doing exactly what you just said and did. Think he was even called snotty
Old 09-26-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
People are so stupid it is unreal! I just watched a news story, a guy was coming back to shore from offshore fishing, turned on the autopilot and went to bed. Everyone was asleep. The boat actually ran into a cave and they all nearly died.
These small boats (under 40') do not have collision avoidance systems built in, they sometimes have radar set to 'beep' if something is in the way, but to hit the throttle and sleep is nothing short of retarded.
reminds me of the tesla owner that was taking a nap and autopilot on highway ...won the darwin
Old 09-26-2019, 04:57 PM

Hopefully it was a Single vehicle collision only.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:01 AM

So apparently she won’t see jail time, and the maximum fine is now $10,000?
Old 10-31-2019, 10:36 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I don't know about fresh water lighting rules But I do know that on salt water any boat not at a dock must display at least one white light visible from 360 degrees.

I also know from spending many nights at sea, off the BC coast. Spotting boat lights against a lighted shoreline can be next to impossible.

I don't know the lake in guestion but if it's anything like popular Alberta lakes the shore line could be a maze of lights which would make spotting another boat very difficult.

I can see someone in a similar situation to this thinking the other boat was not lit up when in fact it was.

It's easy to judge from behind a keyboard, not so easy out on a lake in the dark of night.

From my point of view, this is nothing more then a very unfortunate situation for all involved.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-31-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
A few things,

I have to say, and it seems really out of character for you, it seems like you really have it out for Kevin O'Leary.
History, perhaps?
Old 10-31-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
What’s “underway@?
Thought he was stationary...
The report that I read said that they were "not at anchor."
Old 10-31-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
So apparently she won’t see jail time, and the maximum fine is now $10,000?
The maximum fine wasn’t just lowered, the actual charges Linda O’Leary is facing have been changed from what I read today.

She may actually be innocent too if what has been reported by her lawyer is true:

“Linda has always been a cautious and experienced boater who came into collision with an unlit craft on a dark and moonless night,” Brian Greenspan said. “The other boat was sitting in a dark spot on a lake, no cottage lights nearby, no moon.”
Old 10-31-2019, 12:24 PM

The speed Linda was driving is what the courts concerned with.
The problem with driving speed boats is if you aren't planing it's hard to see over the bow and if you are planing the boats moving to fast to avoid collision at night.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:13 PM

https://nationalpost.com/news/kevin-...g-crash-victim

The plot is thickening, looks like new allegations in the civil suit.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:39 PM

Driving a boat at midnight makes as much sense as changing my truck oil
with a flash light at that time...
why is this night boating thing, a thing?
Old 11-08-2019, 05:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I have to say, and it seems really out of character for you, it seems like you really have it out for Kevin O'Leary.
History, perhaps?
Not at all, but this case reeks of conspiracy like the Kennedy's were involved. From heading directly to the country club immediately after the crash to the bogus “heartfelt” statement given to the press by Kevin before the boat engine was cold.

I’m of the opinion if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it’s most likely a duck.

Before the crash all I knew of Kevin was he was an outspoken conservative, which isn’t a bad thing in my opinion. I don’t think the whole truth of what happened that night will ever be known, but I think there is more of it to come.
Old 07-14-2021, 09:02 AM

Post Revived for continuity, the case is now before the court

https://calgarysun.com/news/provinci...5-988679bff9f2

Quote:
Two testify they didn't see Linda O'Leary drink after deadly boat crash
O'Leary told police she had only had one drink, and it was after the crash, trial has heard
Canadian Press July 13, 2021

Two people who were present in the immediate aftermath of a fatal boat crash two years ago told an Ontario court Tuesday they didn’t see Linda O’Leary drink any alcohol or receive a drink from anyone after returning to shore.
Francesca Hawkes and Aaron Lengyel, both friends of O’Leary’s son, were at the family’s cottage when the fatal collision took place the night of Aug. 24, 2019.
In separate testimony Tuesday, both described rushing to greet the O’Leary boat as it returned following the collision, and bringing towels to help one of the passengers who had a bleeding gash on her head.

They also each recalled the group deciding to call paramedics to tend to the injured, and that Linda O’Leary — who appeared to have badly injured her foot — was eventually moved to the second floor of the boathouse, where she could rest on a bed.

Neither saw O’Leary consume any alcohol, they said, or were aware of anyone else serving her any after the boat returned.
At another point in his testimony, however, Lengyel noted that O’Leary was always adamant that no one who consumed any alcohol could operate their boat.

O’Leary has pleaded not guilty to one charge of careless operation of a vessel under the Canada Shipping Act.

Court has heard she was at the helm when the O’Leary boat struck another vessel on Lake Joseph, north of Toronto. Her husband, celebrity businessman Kevin O’Leary, was also aboard, as was one of their friends.

A provincial police officer testified Monday that Linda O’Leary registered an “alert range” blood alcohol level in a breath test shortly after the incident, but that O’Leary told her she had only had one drink, and it was after the crash.

OPP Const. Michelle Ingham said O’Leary told her she couldn’t say how strong the drink was because it was handed to her by someone else.
The defence has suggested the other boat did not have its lights on when it was hit.

Hawkes told the court Tuesday she and a group that included Lengyel and the O’Learys’ son Trevor were having a bonfire in a spot overlooking the lake when they saw the O’Leary boat approach and heard “a massive bang.”
The 24-year-old said she immediately knew from the sound that another boat had been struck, but that no other vessel could be seen.

Seconds later, she said, another boat turned on its lights.

“It was completely dark and then all the lights lit up,” she testified. “You could very clearly see that it was another boat once those lights were on.”

The O’Learys could be heard asking if anyone was hurt, but Hawkes said she didn’t hear a response. Shortly afterwards, the other boat slowly left, she said.

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

As a result, Hawkes said she assumed there were no serious injuries on the other boat. It was only after police arrived that she learned people had been critically hurt, she said.

Lengyel also testified hearing the O’Leary boat hit something, but not realizing what it was until the other boat turned on its lights.

At one point, Lengyel said he advised Kevin O’Leary to contact a lawyer, because he assumed police would be coming with paramedics.

Later, he said Linda O’Leary also mentioned she would have to speak to police. On one occasion, she mentioned having to give a statement to officers before she could go to the hospital to seek treatment for her foot, he said. Later, she again alluded to having to provide a statement, he said.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-14-2021, 02:24 PM

It's unfortunate for the rich folks that it's getting harder and harder to cover up and buy your way out of trouble.
Old 07-14-2021, 02:42 PM

A provincial police officer testified Monday that Linda O’Leary registered an “alert range” blood alcohol level in a breath test shortly after the incident, but that O’Leary told her she had only had one drink, and it was after the crash.

Yeah sure
Old 07-14-2021, 04:19 PM

Yeah. If I haven’t been drinking and been in a crash. First thing I would do is have a drink.
Insulting.
Hope they get them on perjury.
I also heard the other boat owner accepted the fine for no lights because O’Leary’s lawyer is badgering him and he didn’t want to pay $10,000’s in lawyers fees for a $150 fine.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:28 PM

Do we really think someone as “big and brash” as Kevin would let his wife drive the boat? She’s taking a big hit for something that I and thousands of others don’t think she was doing.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Do we really think someone as “big and brash” as Kevin would let his wife drive the boat? She’s taking a big hit for something that I and thousands of others don’t think she was doing.
Well, you’re probably wrong, along with thousands of others.

Video shows she was both driving to the party and leaving it. Kevin also very rarely drives the boat.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Well, you’re probably wrong, along with thousands of others.

Video shows she was both driving to the party and leaving it. Kevin also very rarely drives the boat.
i think you are right , to much liability if he has an accident , same reason co. high ups get chauffered