Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2019, 12:33 PM

Have some fun and try to figure out what happened. Don't be such sticklers. Fairly positive no one has a clue and they would gladly admit that.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
yeah have to agree .

The keyboard Warriors know-it-all it's the internet.
No fault, no foul though. Pre-internet, someone would have the paper open @ coffee time & the boys would hash & re-hash the headlines. Matters of passing interest in our lives.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Thumbs down

Good grief.

What is wrong with discussing, with having opinions based on information available?

Once again, opinions not allowed, they differ with some so they are wrong.

Why do some of you people even reply in here?

Just to give people hell?

We don't need nannies, we have AO curmudgeon in spades.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-07-2019, 08:49 AM
Banned

We are very good lawyers for our own mistakes, and very good judges for the mistakes of others
Old 09-07-2019, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
yeah have to agree .

The keyboard Warriors know-it-all it's the internet.
Typical AO crowd.....
Sad to see anyone suffer from any accident really
Old 09-07-2019, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear guy View Post
Typical AO crowd.....
You joined in June and have already formed an opinion of the typical AO crowd....

It’s almost like we are experiencing the miracle of reincarnation
Old 09-07-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
You joined in June and have already formed an opinion of the typical AO crowd....

Ummmm! Seems a little odd I think!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 09-07-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear guy View Post
Typical AO crowd.....
If you don’t like the people then feel free to leave. Nobody is forcing you to be a member.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:40 PM

'long time lurker, been reading for years before I decided to join'

yeah haha lol, how many thousand times have we seen that?

One guy had what, 1500 names?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-07-2019, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

Old 09-24-2019, 11:39 AM

Default Kevin O'Leary's wife charged in Muskoka boat crash that killed 2

The wife of TV personality and businessman Kevin O'Leary is facing a single charge over a boat crash in Muskoka last month that left two people dead.

Linda O'Leary, 56, is charged with careless operation of a vessel, in contravention of the Canada Shipping Act, small vessel regulations.

One other person is charged in connection with the collision, according to a news release issued Tuesday by the Ontario Provincial Police. Richard Ruh, 57, of Orchard Park, N.Y., has been charged with failing to exhibit a navigation light while underway, in contravention of Section 23 of the Canada Shipping Act, collision regulations.

Staff Sgt. Carolle Dionne, a spokesperson for the OPP, said Tuesday the charges follow "a thorough investigation" and carry a maximum penalty of 18 months imprisonment or a fine of $1 million.

"Linda O'Leary's charges are before the courts, so there's very little other details that we can release to ensure a fair court proceeding," Dionne told CBC Toronto in a telephone interview.

Kevin O'Leary's cottage on Lake Joseph is seen in this image taken by a drone last week. (CBC)
The collision occurred around 11:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, Aug. 24 near Emerald Island on Lake Joseph, a popular destination in the region about 215 kilometres north of downtown Toronto.

Gary Poltash, 64, from Florida, died the night of the crash. Susanne Brito, 48, a mother of three from Uxbridge, Ont., died in hospital the following Tuesday.

Three other people were taken to hospital with injuries and were released.

Just hours before the crash, Brito had posted a photo of the lake to social media with the words: "Beautiful day! Enjoy."

Kevin O'Leary issued a statement following the crash to say he was a passenger in one of the boats involved in the collision and that he was co-operating with the police investigation.

O'Leary, a businessman and former Dragons' Den star on CBC, made a bid for the federal Conservative leadership race before dropping out in 2017. He now appears on the ABC show Shark Tank in the United States.

Linda O'Leary is scheduled to appear in court in Parry Sound on Oct. 29.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...rash-1.5295463

Her lawyer will get this reduced to a slap, money talks
Old 09-24-2019, 12:18 PM

Her lawyer will get this reduced to a slap, money talks[/QUOTE]

If she hit a vessel that had no lights in the middle of the lake, what do you think is a suitable punishment?

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-24-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat119 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
If she hit a vessel that had no lights in the middle of the lake, what do you think is a suitable punishment?
A slap if anything at all.

It’s an all around bad situation that could have been avoided with use of some running lights if everything we’ve read is true.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:39 PM
Banned

Both drivers have been charged...but in my opinion if the other vessel had no running lights that vessel carries more of the blame.
I know we all like to complain about the rich...but if any of us were in the same situation we'd be saying 'why the hell didn't they have lights on?'.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:58 PM

He didn't have his lights on she may have been driving to fast, both had some fault like I said her high priced lawyer will get the charges reduced.

If you have unlimited funds for a lawyer it can make a huge difference in the trial outcome.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:30 PM

one million dollar fine? I had to laugh...

Where do they come up with that amount
Old 09-24-2019, 03:24 PM

O’Leary’s boat has killed more people than all combined civilian-owned AR-15’s in Canada. ( I excluded the police shooting bad guys for obvious reasons).
Old 09-24-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
O’Leary’s boat has killed more people than all combined civilian-owned AR-15’s in Canada. ( I excluded the police shooting bad guys for obvious reasons).
lol .. Luv it !!
Old 09-24-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
HAHA...(A) still means assault in the media.....
Old 09-24-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Good grief.

Why do some of you people even reply in here?
To fan the flames and provide nothing to the commentary or topic being discussed. One of the worst offenders has posted multiple times in this thread, and provided nothing to the commentary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
If she hit a vessel that had no lights in the middle of the lake, what do you think is a suitable punishment?[/QUOTE]

Wounder what brought the careless driving charge for her? Driving too fast in the dark? If she couldn't see the other boat with no lights on how was she culpable with careless driving? Bizarre but I'm sure the OPP had their reasons.

Agree on one posters post about some wanting blood just cause he is a DB and loaded, facts don't matter to some people. He's a douch and rich so it automatically has to be his fault
Old 09-25-2019, 07:46 AM

If you are driving that fast that you cannot see a giant boat in the dark then I think you are driving too fast for your lights or not paying attention.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:47 AM

How many people were in the boat were the deceased were located
Old 09-25-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
If you are driving that fast that you cannot see a giant boat in the dark then I think you are driving too fast for your lights or not paying attention.
No chit, my thoughts exactly.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Hence the charge for careless driving, likely 100% avoidable however if the other folks had their lights on.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:01 AM

Money or not, if they confirm the other boat did not have its lights on, she walks with a slap imo. Maybe a civil suit from the deceased families follows.

Say what you want but she has to live with it forever and I would think most people have a conscience wealthy or not.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I don’t believe O’leary Boat would have had any headlights so to speak a boat less then 39.4 feet in length is only required to have the red/green port/starboard lights and a white all around light. I’m sure the O’leary boat would fall into this category under 39.4 feet.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:28 AM

Unhappy Unfortunate accident.

From the comments posted, you can tell which members do not have a "Pleasure Craft Operator License". They seem to think that highway traffic laws apply to watercraft.

My guess is the speed of the boat led to the careless driving charge. Does anyone know if the lakes in the Muskoka region are subject to day/night speed limits?

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-25-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
I don’t believe O’leary Boat would have had any headlights so to speak a boat less then 39.4 feet in length is only required to have the red/green port/starboard lights and a white all around light. I’m sure the O’leary boat would fall into this category under 39.4 feet.
Hence why they were driving too fast for their lights.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
From the comments posted, you can tell which members do not have a "Pleasure Craft Operator License". They seem to think that highway traffic laws apply to watercraft.

My guess is the speed of the boat led to the careless driving charge. Does anyone know if the lakes in the Muskoka region are subject to day/night speed limits?
I have boated the Muskoka’s many times, albeit not for several years.
I’m not aware of any speed limits other than the typical “no wake” zones in channels, harbours, locks etc.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:09 AM

Sad situation for all sides. Not having lights out on the big boat will probably take most of the blame for the accident. IMO moving any boat at night is dangerous I couldn’t imagine going turbo fast in O’Leary speed boat in the dark that is a crazy risk. I guess there might be lights on shore to guide your way in which direction you are going while you are driving in the dark but I would think the driver probably spent a lot of time looking at GPS screen instead of the water. Also I would think that unless you have serious light upgrade on your boat that you really don’t see that good in front of were you are traveling.