Old 11-10-2017, 10:30 PM

I've never served but my family has: American Civil War
WW1
WW2
Korea
Viet Nam
I will never forget.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:59 PM

Been remembering all day today of all those fallen men & women and now I’m ready & organized, I have 77 Memorial Wreaths to present at our Remembrance Day ceremony tomorrow.

"Lest we Forget"

Old 11-10-2017, 11:08 PM

Good on you. My friends and I will be entertaining the troops after the ceremony at the smoker.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:00 AM

Default Remembrance Bicycle

Remembrance bicycle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remembrance bike.jpg (73.3 KB, 94 views)
Old 11-11-2017, 08:58 AM
Banned

Leaving soon for the Kingsway ceremony.
Dad spent four years on corvettes in the North Atlantic...sunk once.
Grandfather was a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps (later called the RAF) in 'the war to end all wars'.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:28 AM

Default Honoring Canadians that fought in all wars

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-11-2017, 10:55 AM

Not attending a formal ceremony but 11:00 AM will be standing outside, hatless and in silence... which reminds me of those cold ceremonies I attended to watch my father and his WW 2 buddies who always wore their dress caps as they marched to the Cenotaph ... ears exposed to the cold and sometimes getting frostbite.
My father set foot in Normandy on Aug 3, 1944 and served until his unit was shipped back to Canada in mid ‘45. He spoke very little of his experience and died in 1978.
In the late ‘90’s, guided by researching his unit’s War Diary, I went to Europe and followed the route taken by his Company. I also retraced the steps of my uncle Ora Hall of Provost, Alberta, who served with the 1 Can Scots from his D Day landing until he was KIA on Sept 6
on their initial approach to Calais.
I also went to a cemetery near Goesbeek, to place a CDN flag at the grave of Harry Whitlock of the Vermillion area on behalf of his sister Mabel. Harry was KIA in Nov ‘44.
We shall remember.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:47 PM

My Mom's 3 brothers all stepped up for WW2, leaving my widowed Granny to mind the homefront with their 3 sisters.
Fortunately, they all found their way home, safe and sound. My 3 uncles were all great men, one still is.

P3080589 by Andrew Whittick, on Flickr
Old 11-11-2017, 09:57 PM

My family has a long history of military service. Grandfather on Mom's side served (US), all of my mom's 6 brothers served and saw combat (2 eldest is WWII, 2 middle in Korea, and 2 youngest in Vietnam), more cousins than I can count, My Dad served is USAF. Step-Dad's side great-grandfather died in hospital back in Canada from wounds received during WWI, his son (my grandfather) died in hospital in theatre from wounds received during WWII and is buried in Holland. My brother served in US Army, and I in the Navy, both luckily missing action. I got out the year before the first Gulf War. Funny thing, it was never "expected" of any of us, you just tend to grow up around service and it becomes something you want to do. I and my brother, unlike a lot of my relatives, didn't make a career of it though.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:41 PM

Old 11-08-2018, 10:35 PM

Moving this back up.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-09-2018, 07:31 AM

Bump , everyone on Remembrance Day should take a minute at 11 a.m. to remember what these men and women did for us.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 08:23 AM

My grandfather served with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in WW1. He was wounded, by shrapnel from a German Whiz Bang, through his left thigh on March 12, 1918 at Hill 70 near Loos. Honorably discharged in March, 1919.

Battalion diary entry for the day my grandfather was wounded.

First picture is of my grandfather (seated) and his younger brother Harry who was a driver in the British Royal Artillery. The driver was the guy riding the lead horse pulling the artillery piece into battle. Both of them have wound stripes on the left forearm of their tunics.

Second photo is of their older brother, Arthur, who served as a trooper in the Guards, Machine Gun Regiment, British Army.

They had a third brother, Edward, who was a gunner in the Royal Garrison Artillery.

They all came home.

My grandmother's younger brother served as a gunner with the British Royal Garrison Artillery and unfortunately he did not survive the war.

I will remember!

Old 11-09-2018, 08:31 AM

This is the best thread ever......

I don't attend formal ceremonies but quietly say thanks in my own way, as does my family.

My 6 year old granddaughter called me yesterday to tell me, how at her school assembly, they spoke about Remembrance Day; in her Scouts (Sparks) uniform, proudly worn.... brought a tear to my eye...

I find myself taking a moment(s) throughout the year, to say thanks.

WWI....my grandfather was a stretcher bearer and was wounded in action. The horror he witnessed and the conditions he withstood; and never spoke about it.

My great uncle was killed in action

WWII....my dad served

Prior to my grandmother's passing, she removed everyone's medals from her small town Legion and presented them to me.

Professionally mounted, I proudly display them. Every time I pass by, I give pause.....I love it when the grand kids ask me about them...

Thank you

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 11-09-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Old 11-09-2018, 03:00 PM

I remember to honor all of the men and women that have served our country throughout the years.

Lest we forget!

BW
Old 11-09-2018, 03:41 PM

Just wanted to say I’m proud to of served with the loyal Eddies. I was in Croatia with the 3rd PPCLI in 92-93. If it wasn’t for my great grandfather who went to the Boer War in the S.A.C,2 uncles in the Great War on my dads side Another one on my moms side who died of MGSW. Uncle Dick who served with the Straths in WW2. My late father on the HMCS Terra Nova during the missle crisis.I’m proud of them and all your family’s. May they be remembered forever
Old 11-09-2018, 04:22 PM

Had an uncle killed at Passchendaele Oct 31, 1917. 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles

Father served in the First War Royal Engineers. He said never get involved in a war.

Person I was named after was Alan May Flying Officer 424 SQ. Shot down in a Halifax July 6,1944

Thanks in part to them, I have had a peaceful life.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:10 PM

Grand dad Royal Australian Light Horse Regiment, wounded at Gallipoli ww1 and a part time basket case. Uncle Philip killed at Dunkirk(Boys anti tank rifle operator) , Uncle Danny Signals Corp suicide (Morse madness). Dad,2 para, made it (Thankfully). Aunt Sheila Radio operator RAF fighter command,talk about a stressful job for a 19 year old from the slums of Clydebank. Here's a sad Australian song about the waste of life at Gallipoli, it applies to all the young men who fought so bravely in that most terrible of wars 100 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E22gszljklc

Last edited by Unregistered user; 11-09-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:43 PM

My family is from Germany, my Dad was born in 33, they immigrated in the early fifties. Dad never spoke of the war, but as his dementia progresses I get to see glimpses of the horrors of war. To those that have served, I thank you with a grateful heart for the sacrifices that you have made. Freedom comes at a cost, those of us that never paid, owe it to those that did, to remember what those brave men and women gave up so that we can raise our kids in freedom.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-09-2018, 06:01 PM

Although the focus of “Remembrance Day” always seems to be on those that died in the First and Second World wars ... we also need to include in our gratitude all those men and women that have died in service to our country in more recent conflicts.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:27 PM

Three of my Uncles were in WW2, all came home, one is still alive & will be 97 in January, I joined the Sylvan Legion almost 10 years ago and will be marching in the Color Party tomorrow & remembering all those who died for our freedom. That's me with our Sgt-at-Arms looking a bit nervous last year, like others our Legion's membership is struggling, however, the entire town/community comes together to support the Poppy Campaign and the Legion every November 11th.

D.

Lest we Forget

Old 11-10-2018, 05:55 PM

Default Lest We Forget

IMG_2934.JPG

IMG_2937.JPG

My father ( Top Pic ) who served in WW11 in the Army and my father in law ( bottom Pic ) who served in the Korean War in the Navy

Tomorrow is a very special day remembering those that fought and died for our freedom

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:45 PM

I’ll just move this one up again.
And since the first picture isn’t very good here it is again.

They shall never grow old..............................!

There are no absolutes
Old 11-08-2019, 01:57 PM

Stopped by Flanders Field museum in Ypres Belgium yesterday than took in the last post ceremony that is at 8 pm everyday. Lots of things to see here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3EA3C79B-0E21-4147-9B91-53B337F46B46.jpg (28.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-08-2019, 02:24 PM
Banned

Grandfather, Private Albert Yeudall MM, 42 Quebec Regiment "Black Watch", who served in the theater of war during WWI.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:30 PM

Oops. I re posted.

Salutations and my respect for all who have served.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-09-2019, 12:38 AM

My Father joined the Militia here in Lethbridge in 1936. He was a Gunnery Sgt when he was immediately called to active service when war broke out in 1939.
Got sick in England in the spring of 1944 with TB and spent the next 2 years in a bed at the sanitarium.
2 of his brothers joined the air-force the one acting in logistics the other flying Wellingtons in the Mediterranean.
My Great Uncle fought in WW1 and was shot and wounded in his right elbow in the battle for Vimey Ridge. He never regained much use of that arm.
My Mother had 2 brothers who served. One as a tanker with the 1st Canadian Division fighting in Sicily and Italy. The other severed withe the 1st Canadian Scottish, landed in France on D+7. He never came home, being killed in taking the lower Scheldt in Holland and is buried at ADEGEM Canadian War Graves Cemetery in Belgium along with 900 and some other Canadians killed in that battle.
Growing up as a kid in the 50ies and 60ies.....I knew so many vets, pilots, tankers, sailors and grunts....almost every adult I knew had served. None of them ever talked about it much and they always tried to put on a brave face even if some of them drank a little to much.
But as a child accompanying my Father on Nov 11 to the Cenotaph for Remembrance Day.....I will forget the sight of frozen tears falling from his face during the Last Post as he remembered the men he had served with and trained who never came home....a more powerful image I could not portray and it has always given me reason to Remember them all.

Jim
And I watch the metal rusting, and I watch the time go by."

Last edited by Halfton; 11-09-2019 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:26 AM

Time to move this front and centre.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,

There are no absolutes
Old 11-07-2020, 07:42 AM

My grandpa and 6 brother all served and in WWII only 3 came back. No lack of family and friends who have served. Some did not come back, some did and some were no longer the same after

It is definitely a sacrifice I have one friend in the US that can only handle society in short doses now. He try’s to be deployed whenever possible. Even though he keeps coming back his life is not the same