Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2019, 01:01 PM

Default part time first job opportunities?

Hey Folks,

My 15 year old daughter is in high school in west Edmonton and has decided to look for a job. I know I know google. I've had success previously on AO finding work so felt it wouldn't hurt to ask around.

Thought maybe some other teenager parents could suggest some places that may be looking for part time students. Sales, food and beverage, etc.

Thank you in advance.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:12 PM

When my son was 15, he got lots of hours at the Canadian Tire in out hood.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:15 PM

Cabelas.
There's probably an employee discount her dear old dad could benefit from...
I would assume they're staffing up for the christmas season soon
Old 11-05-2019, 01:15 PM

Have you thought of Reffing a sport? kids can make some decent coin when they want to be busy at $25/game. just a thought
Old 11-05-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
Have you thought of Reffing a sport? kids can make some decent coin when they want to be busy at $25/game. just a thought
Ends up being below minimum wage. Normally not worth it when considering the flak that comes from the parents. Nice to have the activity, though.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:26 PM

My 14 year old daughter got a job at Cora this fall as a hostess. It’s been great so far, lots of coaching and positive feedback. Hours are good for a student as well since they only serve breakfast/lunch so no late nights. Hours have been 9-3 Sundays ans some Saturdays. Pretty good first gig so far.
Old 11-05-2019, 01:52 PM

Thank you very much for all the input!! We have a Canadian tire and Cora a few blocks from our house, will definitely have her drop off her resume there.

Thank you
Old 11-05-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Thank you very much for all the input!! We have a Canadian tire and Cora a few blocks from our house, will definitely have her drop off her resume there.

Thank you
And Cineplex. You probably have one of those there too. Sounds like a great spot for a 15 year old to work. Probably free movies too.
kidd
Old 11-05-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd View Post
And Cineplex. You probably have one of those there too. Sounds like a great spot for a 15 year old to work. Probably free movies too.
kidd
Agreed!! She is a big movie nerd too.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:33 PM

Can't necessarily show more enthusiasm for the kid than she has herself, but why not look for a job where a bit more knowledge can be gained than stocking shelves or running a cash register? Why not see if any dealerships, plumbing/electrical supply shops, auto part suppliers, gun shops, lock smiths, etc. are hiring? Granted, working at a place like that may not be as fun as some others, and that's probably somewhat important for a 15 year old, but might be something to consider.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:54 AM

Grocery stores are great places for part time work as well.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:58 AM

A couple of my kids started out working at a KFC when they were young.
They worked hard, were treated like gold and loved it.
I can't remember the pay but it seems it was a little higher than other similar retail chains.
Good luck with whatever she chooses.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:01 AM

Thanks again folks, she has enrolled to get her lifeguard training cert. She spoke with management at the water park in west Edmonton mall. Seems like it would be a decent first job!!
Old 11-06-2019, 12:53 PM

I have 5 kids and 4 of them got their first job at McDonalds, every one of them said no way would they ever work at McDonalds before getting the job and every one of them had a great experience. the hours are really flexible for school kids and they learn how to run a cash, be responsible for balancing etc, discipline around cleaning up and being part of a team etc. It is experience that does teach them somethings and all of those skills are transferable. McDonalds on your resume as a teenager/young adult is a definite plus and they are always hiring.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
I have 5 kids and 4 of them got their first job at McDonalds, every one of them said no way would they ever work at McDonalds before getting the job and every one of them had a great experience. the hours are really flexible for school kids and they learn how to run a cash, be responsible for balancing etc, discipline around cleaning up and being part of a team etc. It is experience that does teach them somethings and all of those skills are transferable. McDonalds on your resume as a teenager/young adult is a definite plus and they are always hiring.
X2 that's where I got my start!! My older sister is a manager at mcdonalds in Denver.... she makes like 70k USD a year!!
Old 11-06-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
My first job as at McDonalds way back when too. Honestly it was one of the funnest jobs I've had, I met some great people, and it was a good learning experience.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:41 PM

My son started out as a slide attendant and then onto lifeguard when he was in high school. They get paid pretty well especially into the lifeguard phase.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
My son started out as a slide attendant and then onto lifeguard when he was in high school. They get paid pretty well especially into the lifeguard phase.
Yes, but it does require passing the National Lifeguard and Standard first aid/CPR C courses, and most places require you to teach lessons as well which is another course.

Also you can't just take the National Lifeguard course, it requires Bronze Cross, which in turn requires either Bronze Medallion and Emergency First Aid or Standard First Aid.

If you can get a schedule down (courses aren't always running) you might be able to get fully certified in 6 months.

I only know this because I used to lifeguard. In terms of work it isn't too strenuous but it can be very stressful as people's lives are in your hands.