Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I’d rather see this picture any day over something what happens at a pride parade
I don’t think I’ve ever agreed with you more.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Not a photo I would have taken, especially over a canned lion hunt which I definitely don't endorse and don't think of ever doing. Just more bad press for hunting
Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Agreed. How ironic. Two people that make a living off hunting and hunters could have taken a better field pic for sure to help avoid bad press. Too joyous and celebratory over a touchy subject already amongst mainstream media and mainstream folk. Plus a lion bred within a fence and bred to be killed doesn’t go over well with the public as well at the best of times.

Your ambassadors. Use your heads.

Last edited by 1899b; 07-18-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Agreed. How ironic. Two people that make a living off hunting and hunters could have taken a better field pic for sure to help avoid bad press. Too joyous and celebratory over a touchy subject already amongst mainstream media and mainstream folk. Plus a lion bred within a fence and bred to be killed doesn’t go over well with the public as well at the best of times.

Your ambassadors. Use your heads.
These were private pics
They didn’t go send them to the tabloids looking for attention
I’d be happier than sh&t if I shot a lion like that
Congrats on a beautiful lion
All of the holier than thou comments make me shake my head
You should have done this, you should have done that, uhhhh people... if it wasn’t this pic. It’s was going to be the next guy maybe hugging it or something like that. The Armchair activists were mad that their storming Area 51 plans were going in the tank. So they needed to bring back a fool proof rallying point. Lion hunts
Old 07-18-2019, 06:19 PM

If you let people take pictures of you like that you got to expect them to get out, to each their own if you're into killing bred to kill lions good for you, not a trophy I would want just my opinion though.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
These were private pics
They didn’t go send them to the tabloids looking for attention
I’d be happier than sh&t if I shot a lion like that
Congrats on a beautiful lion
All of the holier than thou comments make me shake my head
You should have done this, you should have done that, uhhhh people... if it wasn’t this pic. It’s was going to be the next guy maybe hugging it or something like that. The Armchair activists were mad that their storming Area 51 plans were going in the tank. So they needed to bring back a fool proof rallying point. Lion hunts
So they privately texted it to one person? Lol. Oh well in today’s day and age you know what happens from there. Kinda like the dudes that come on this site that always whine and cry when there vehicle get broken in and it was the one time they left all their gear in it. Yeah right.

It’s gone beyond tabloids at this point. I read an article on CBS’s website this morning. Stellar...

There is even an article that his daughter has disowned him due to this going viral. Lol. Seriously, shoot your lion and go home. There’s a dentist somewhere that would probably say the same thing..

Last edited by 1899b; 07-18-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:41 PM

It was the Outfitter that posted the pic to social media,perhaps trying to promote his “couples friendly” operation?
Really bad call on his part....sounds like the recipe for a huge law suit?
Old 07-18-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
It was the Outfitter that posted the pic to social media,perhaps trying to promote his “couples friendly” operation?
Really bad call on his part....sounds like the recipe for a huge law suit?
I just read 4 articles that stated Darren and Carolyn Carter shared the pictures themselves on social media. They have since disabled their companies Facebook and Instagram accounts.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
I just read 4 articles that stated Darren and Carolyn Carter shared the pictures themselves on social media. They have since disabled their companies Facebook and Instagram accounts.
They are still up
I looked earlier
Personal account 100% up
Old 07-18-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
They are still up
I looked earlier
Personal account 100% up
Their Facebook and Instagram are disabled. Their website however is still up.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:19 PM
Banned

Honestly, the things people whine and cry about on social media just keeps getting worse and worse. It’s truely sickening the pettiness shown by society.

Mind your own friggin business. I bet half the whiners are either thieves, pediphiles, crack heads, and fraudsters, and 100% of them are hollier than thou’s.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Opening paragraph in the Sun article linked in the OP....
Legelela Safaris - one of dozens of companies that targets Brit tourists with hunting packages - shared the photo on Facebook.

The firm wrote: "Hard work in the hot Kalahari sun...well done. A monster lion.”

Despite their grim pose, the couple - who run a taxidermy business - describe themselves as "passionate conservationists", the Mirror reports.

Pictured with another lion on the account, the caption reads: "There is nothing like hunting the king of the jungle in the sands of the Kalahari.

"Well done to the happy huntress and the team..."
Old 07-18-2019, 09:02 PM

Great publicity for the couple's company. Smart move, they will do well.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:37 PM

To echo some earlier posts: The bigger picture of being considerate and responsible ambassadors/representatives of a sport under fire does not include a kissing picture.... with an exotic trophy..... in a high fence scenario (did not know this part but may as well be as controversial as possible right?)

Even if legal, this is embarrassing and terrible publicity. I’m sure they are decent folks but we need more people curiously looking over into the sporting section at Canadian Tire or popping into a Cabelas for the first time and these images do not promote open minds.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:23 AM

Does anyone know for sure that this was a high fence hunt? How do these “canned hunts” work? If they have 10 000 acres fenced with lions living like wild lions should, it’s a much different scenario than if the lions are raised in a cage to be turned out and shot. From what I’ve read about lion hunting, this one certainly looks like it was raised in captivity.

I tried to check out this particular outfitters webpage but was unable to access it.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-19-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Does anyone know for sure that this was a high fence hunt? How do these “canned hunts” work? If they have 10 000 acres fenced with lions living like wild lions should, it’s a much different scenario than if the lions are raised in a cage to be turned out and shot. From what I’ve read about lion hunting, this one certainly looks like it was raised in captivity.

I tried to check out this particular outfitters webpage but was unable to access it.

That's just the way it is. Its highly likely that there wouldn't be any lions left in Africa if it werent for these types of hunts. Poachers would wipe them out. Fenced is about the only way to preserve lions and many others species there.

I'm not 100% sure but there may be zero hunting of truly wild lions over there. Any not bred in captivity are in parks.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post

Any time you see a male lion with a mane like that you know it’s a canned hunt. A wild male lion has a rough looking mane. Congrats to the hunters.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:41 AM

I've shot my fair share of animals.

No Facebook account.
No Twitter account.
No Snapchat account.
No Pinterest account.
No public YouTube account.
No problems....
Old 07-19-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I've shot my fair share of animals.

No Facebook account.
No Twitter account.
No Snapchat account.
No Pinterest account.
No public YouTube account.
No problems....
Hard fact to argue with for sure..
Old 07-19-2019, 07:50 PM
Banned

They did nothing illegal nor did they broadcast it across the internet by their own choice.
Not really sure why they shouldn't be happy and proud of shooting a magnificent lion like that
Old 07-19-2019, 09:17 PM

. It’s just baffling to me that this couple didn’t consider the implications this photo would probably have on there lives if it was ever made public. And the story gets worse, His daughter has now made a video of her own and shared her own thoughts of her dad. This kinda stuff ruins people’s lives. why would you put yourself in this position in the first place? Get the photo taken on your camera, share it with all your friends and family. End of story
Old 07-22-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
. It’s just baffling to me that this couple didn’t consider the implications this photo would probably have on there lives if it was ever made public. And the story gets worse, His daughter has now made a video of her own and shared her own thoughts of her dad. This kinda stuff ruins people’s lives. why would you put yourself in this position in the first place? Get the photo taken on your camera, share it with all your friends and family. End of story
So, now we have the tragic story of the couple killed in northern BC, but the media can't seem to run the story without a picture of the smiling couple holding up a bunch of threatened fish ?? Me sees a double standard, killing cold blooded slimy fish , or just being dead makes it OK .

Grizz