Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 06:25 PM

Default bobber stoppers

one of my favorite,and productive ways to catch walleyes is with slip bobbers. i have always used the plastic, 4 holed bobber stoppers that you thread your line through. these work well except after a while the ends curl over and my line gets hung up when casting. i have seen several other stoppers on the market. what stoppers do you use and what, if any issues do you have with them.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:12 PM

I like the thread ones, they do not seem to hang up in the rod guides under tension and require a "depth check", just relieve the rod bow a bit with a fish on and they come thru the guides and on to the reel as I want. They do not interfere with the spooled line, easy to cast with as they flow off and on the spool easily.

The oval rubber "slide on the line" stops seem to wear out with vertical adjustments, and they catch on the reel bail, spool and rod guides.

I have never used the "little plastic thingy that you thread the line thru" because it seems a little fiddle to vertically adjust and I wonder if it will hag up in the guides
Old 03-26-2017, 07:58 PM

I tie my own bobber stops. 20 lb test fly line backing or dacron. Use a uni knot tied on a small dia. straw. However I still use mono line for slip bobbers or I use the old fusion line from stren for slip boobers too.

Slip straw on line and slide knot off and cinch tight as needed.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:49 PM

Carry 20-30 lb Dacron and tie mine on the fly. Way cheaper and work way better than anything you'll buy. Be sure to cut tag end short so it doesn't get caught in the guides when casting.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:56 PM

Bought a package of the bobber stops with the yellow dacron on the black plastic tubes and just retie the tubes and store until I need them. You can also tie directly on the line if you don't want to re-rig everything.