Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Default leader design 4Wt

After many years of using 8wt I just picked up a 4wt rod/line combo and it's time to start making up some leaders. I alwys started with 3' of 30# and tapered down to 4 or 6# tipets for trout, salmon and anything else that would take a fly.
With the 4wt lines I am not sure what size I should make my permanent section , stick with 30# or drop to a 25 or 20# as the permanent section?
Most of my fishing is with hook sizes from 12 to 16 dry, except in the early seasons when I like wets in similar sizes.
I have 2 new lines to rig, both weight forward, #4's , 1 floating, 1 sinking tip.
Any leader sugestions for the light 4 weights?
Old 03-16-2017, 02:24 PM

Regardless of the line size you end up going with for your leader, I would suggest you finish the leader off with the "perfection loop".

If you have your leader finished off with this loop, you can quickly change out tippets with various line sizes when you tie your tippet with the same perfection loop.

All you then need to do is "loop in" a new tippet section of whatever size you want. Loop to loop connection with no knot connecting the two. Loops in each end pieces of your leader and you tippet, and connect by running one loop through the other and pulling the tippet through your loop and cinch down.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:28 PM

I always found the perfection loop to be a weak knot, I use a very small steel ring instead.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-16-2017, 02:55 PM

A 20lb butt section should be fine
Old 03-16-2017, 03:32 PM

I rock a 30lb butt section and taper down from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2017, 04:01 PM

I used 25 pound maxima chameleon for my butt and first few transitions and then a tippet ring. Works well.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:17 PM

Jason

What # test do you normally attach the tippet ring to? 10lb? Or further up the leader?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2017, 04:35 PM

A triple surgeon's knot is my go-to and it hasn't failed me yet. A buddy taught me how many years ago and honestly it's easy and strong. So why not? Just make sure to wet your knots
Old 03-16-2017, 04:38 PM

As for butt section Id suggest 17lb, then 12, and 8, then tippet.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:41 PM

I build/carry a few different ones based on the conditions. For typical small/medium trout, I will tie the tippet ring into the end of a 8# test and just have a piece of tippet after. I don't put any additional transitions down after the ring.

If you are new to tippet rings, try to get ones with rounded edges. Flats are available, but people have reported cut lines from the edges. I use 2mm rings.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:35 PM

Eh buy tapered leader that suits the length of your fly rod. I usually buy 5x 71/2 foot for my smaller rods. Then add a chunk of 7 x to it for smaller flys. Or cut it back for bigger flys. I can get away with one or two in a season and I second the double or triple surgeons knot for tippet connections.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:46 PM

Default Tippet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.seaward View Post
I build/carry a few different ones based on the conditions. For typical small/medium trout, I will tie the tippet ring into the end of a 8# test and just have a piece of tippet after. I don't put any additional transitions down after the ring.

If you are new to tippet rings, try to get ones with rounded edges. Flats are available, but people have reported cut lines from the edges. I use 2mm rings.
X2 leaders last a long time with this method.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:09 AM

I ended up nail knotting 3' of 25# to the sink tip line, followed by blood knotting 2' of 20#, 2' of 14# 2' of 10# and 3' of 6#.Ice out will tell the story on how well it turns over with the 8 1/2' #4 rod.

The nice thing about making your own tapers is the ease of making changes when they don't perform. I like to add a tiny drop of super glue to the knots when I trim them to help eliminate the knots picking up surface scum and weeds etc.
For the floating line I will probably make a similar leader, and drop down to 2# for the real small dry flies.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
After many years of using 8wt I just picked up a 4wt rod/line combo and it's time to start making up some leaders. I alwys started with 3' of 30# and tapered down to 4 or 6# tipets for trout, salmon and anything else that would take a fly.
With the 4wt lines I am not sure what size I should make my permanent section , stick with 30# or drop to a 25 or 20# as the permanent section?
Most of my fishing is with hook sizes from 12 to 16 dry, except in the early seasons when I like wets in similar sizes.
I have 2 new lines to rig, both weight forward, #4's , 1 floating, 1 sinking tip.
Any leader sugestions for the light 4 weights?
Petew,

The butt section plus some of the next sections stiffness determines the OD of leader material chosen. For example, Maxima Ultragreen is quite soft, Maxima Chameleon is quite a bit stiffer, Mason Hard is stiff.
I use Maxima Chameleon as a compromise. For 4 wt. I 'd use 20 lb. for the floater.

For the sink tip, 4' of 3X.

Don