Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
typical extremist .. I said OWN up and shut up ... lets make some laws and you dog owners can take it on the chin ....
The man is a professional trainer and behaviorist , as well as a human phycologist . When your qualifications are the same ,your opinion will mean something. Until then you are nothing more than what you accused him of being
You did read the part where it said BSL hasn't worked for other cities didn't you ?
His idea of proper training might work better than anything
Old 10-07-2016, 11:18 PM

Pitbull registry could be set up by the feds. Keep us safe from pitbull attacks, only two million dollars, tops.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
Pitbull registry could be set up by the feds. Keep us safe from pitbull attacks, only two million dollars, tops.
If memory serves me correctly we tried that one with something else, with amazing results didn't we lol
Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
If memory serves me correctly we tried that one with something else, with amazing results didn't we lol
I think he was joking.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
yes enough of this crap .... some cities , provinces , states and even countries have banned this dog type and cousins , for a reason .... Owners , as I've said before have to man up or ship your dog out, for a vet visit of the last kind ... The pet world has gone extreme and reminds me of the tree huggers.. plain and simple
Great post, and a very big x2.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
And while we're at it Rio, lets ban all guns. No need to have them in society.
My gun won't shoot a girl in the back of the head because her pony tail is bobbing. Comparing an inanimate object to a living creature is just plain stupid. A gun won't move for 100years if untouched, how is that at all comparable to an animal? The comparison doesn't make a shred of sense. A rifle only becomes dangerous through conscious thoughts and action BY THE SHOOTER, a dog can be become dangerous through conscious thoughts and actions BY THE DOG. The best trained dog in the world could be influenced in some way to attack, and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it. But the most "dangerous" assault rifle will never decide to load it self and start lighting off rounds.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotang View Post
I think he was joking.
As was I
Old 10-08-2016, 12:29 AM
Banned

I owned a Brittany Spaniel and he started to point butterflies at 3 months of age. I never taught him that, it was just in his DNA from his breeding.

Now I own a terrier and he's in heaven when I take him to the gopher patch. I never taught him that, he was bred to kill rats.

This incident had nothing to do with the owner. Something triggered an instinct in his DNA and he did what he was bred to do.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:04 AM

Quote:
typical extremist .. I said OWN up and shut up ... lets make some laws and you dog owners can take it on the chin ....
Along with gun owners, bike owners, people with OHVs, smokers blah blah blah ...Maybe you should run for the NDP or Libs with your reactionary banning attitude? What exactly are "cousins" btw? Scary looking dogs?

We get it you're scared of anything bigger than a beagle, fine, but don't let your fears and prejudices trample on others freedoms. Yes dog ownership should come with responsibility and accountability.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-08-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I owned a Brittany Spaniel and he started to point butterflies at 3 months of age. I never taught him that, it was just in his DNA from his breeding.

Now I own a terrier and he's in heaven when I take him to the gopher patch. I never taught him that, he was bred to kill rats.

This incident had nothing to do with the owner. Something triggered an instinct in his DNA and he did what he was bred to do.
That is a good point. And so called "Pit Bulls" were never bred for human aggression. When dogs were fought, the dogs were separated and dogs that nipped at their handlers didn't get the chance to breed.

Never mind that dog fighting has been outlawed in many parts of the States since the 1860's and completely banned for 40 years, outlawed in Canada for about 120 years, and blood sports in Britain, for nearly 2 centuries.

Since then they were bred as working dogs and companions. Bull Terriers, American Pit Bulls, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and American Staffordshire Terriers properly bred make lousy guard dogs, as they are too friendly to strangers. Great family dogs, as they put up with a lot of handling, rough treatment and love kids.

Learn the history, rather than the rhetoric.

Times had a good article on what happened to about 50 of the worst treated dogs in America when Michael Vick was arrested.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 10-08-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
My point exactly. I'm all for making irresponsible dog owners take it on the chin. No problem with that. What about the good ones?

Your attitude reeks of the same arguments I hear for banning guns.

I'm not saying something shouldn't be done in either case.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs down

Quote:
yes enough of this crap .... some cities , provinces , states and even countries have banned this dog type and cousins , for a reason .... Owners , as I've said before have to man up or ship your dog out, for a vet visit of the last kind ... The pet world has gone extreme and reminds me of the tree huggers.. plain and simple
We should be shipping people to the doctors for thier last visit.

Anything that has gone rogue, man, woman, dog etc...instantly takes a dirt nap.

We are so good at tiptoeing through the tulips with little to no accountability for actions that require to be immediately addressed both negatively and positively.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-08-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
That's a great article!

Ban the bike save a life!
Ban a spoon too...kills millions of innocent people yearly one spoonful at a time.!

We can go on and on about the dogs, the spoons, the ....whatever's....as long as people are in the equation we are screwed!

Old 10-08-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ban a spoon too...kills millions of innocent people yearly one spoonful at a time.!

We can go on and on about the dogs, the spoons, the ....whatever's....as long as people are in the equation we are screwed!
You don't really think I want to ban bikes I hope
Old 10-08-2016, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

X2 Today most people buy dogs because of their appearance. It seems the the purpose for which a particular breed was developed is fully ignored. I do not support banning any dog breeds. Mandatory training for dog owners is what should be implemented.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:54 AM

Any dog can bite. Also there are a lot of people who should not own pets. Some people just buy certain types of breeds, and then proceed to bring out the worst traits in them. If you own a dog that is aggressive then the owner will know this, and should take the appropriate actions to prevent their dog from hurting people. If a dog bites a person in a public place without provocation it should be put down. On private property if the owners know there dog has a tendency to be aggressive maybe a beware of dog sign on their property would be a good idea.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:27 AM

"He doesn't come out very much because it's cold and the snow … he sits by the window."

Read that as he never gets walks but is cooped up in the house all day. Yea, its cold in the winter, but it's not winter yet.

I'm generally not a fan of banning, please don't bring up claymores, sidewinders, grenades at 7-11 etc., but prefer education and accepting responsibility for one's actions.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
You don't really think I want to ban bikes I hope
I hope not then I would become a criminal...can't give them up!