Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-14-2016, 07:56 PM

Default Lethbridge and area - Needed: reloading mentor (243 Win)

Needing a mentor in Southern Alberta (Lethbridge preferable) for reloading. I currently want to learn the ropes for the 243 Win which is my main gun. Just got a reloading kit as a gift but have no idea what to do.

I am trying to read Speer Bullets Reloading Manual #14 but I learn best by seeing and asking questions.

Hoping someone reloads these anyway and wouldn't mind someone following along.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:39 PM

Default I reload for the .243

I am reloading for my Ruger Precision rifle in .243.What are your intended uses. Will you be doing varmint loads, Hunting loads, target loads or all of the above? An important starting place is with your barrel twist rate because that will help determine what kind of bullets your rifle will be able to stablize. Here is a good website that I use for information about cartridges and reloading starting points.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/243win/

In my rifle I am looking to do mostly target shooting. I would like to use my rifle as a back up when I am big game hunting. I choose to reload 105gr hornady Amax bullets. They have a high ballistic co-effiecent, making them good for long range target shooting. They are also releatively inexpensive, which is good because I hope to use alot of them over the next few years. I am using H4831sc powder because it is highly recommeded by benchrest shooters that use the .243 for compettions. It is a powder that delivers excellent accuracy and good velocities on heavier .243 bullets. My initial tests with both bullets and powder have been positive.

Hope this helps as a starting point.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:16 PM
Banned

Here's some quick tips to get you going...

- get yourself a decent digital scale (GEM-50 is good, I got mine from Amazon), and digital caliper.

- browse/join a reloading forum, as well as reading pertinent info here.

- set up your press in an area where you won't be bothered. Mistakes made due to distraction can be fatal.

- keep your things organized...
Old 08-14-2016, 11:05 PM

Default This

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 08-15-2016, 07:26 AM

Smile Get going

Here are a few tips. Study the posts about "NOT GETTING A CASE STUCK" Elk, Dick or Cat can set you on the right path. Use die wax and graphite to prevent stuck cases.

Set up the resizing die, lube the case and take out the primer. If there are wrinkles on the case ask the boys, usually too much lube.

Put a new primer in the case, I use a Lee handloader but you can use what you want.

Decide on what you are trying to load, I am loading 55 gr. Noslers over Varget or Benchmark, we shoot at 500 yards. We are less than .5 moa but are still trying to get better.

The 243 is an awesome round, very accurate, low noise and recoil, and cheap to shoot.

Oh if no need more reloading stuff, and you will, buy it used on line. I'm still using a beam balance that I've had 50 years.

Welcome to the club.