Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-14-2016, 10:08 AM

Default Any love for Parker Hales...?

I don't know much bout this rifle.
I did puck one up for my daughter in 30-06.

That's from a few years ago.

Its got a Mauser action (thanks Cat), looks nice. She shoots it very well to 200.

Anyone else run with PHs?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-14-2016, 10:12 AM

Default Whoop. Mods please move this...

Should be in guns and ammo section

Sorry.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-14-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
I don't know much bout this rifle.
I did puck one up for my daughter in 30-06.

That's from a few years ago.

Its got a Mauser action (thanks Cat), looks nice. She shoots it very well to 200.

Anyone else run with PHs?
I've got One in .30-06 too. Branded as Midland, made in England. It's been a great rifle for me, as it was for my father before me. He bought it at Woodwards for $175 back in the early 80s.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:50 PM

I have always liked the Parker Hales with the Santa Barbara action and the Adjustable PH trigger , with the fancy stocks by Sile.
Accurate and good handling rifles
By the look on the young lady's face he is pretty happy about his as well!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08-14-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:11 PM

Awesome rifle as I too owned one in 30-06.

Mine was a new Midland plan wood stock 24" barrel, muser act, much like the one you have.

The bolt action seemed a little floppy when opened, but it fit tight when closed,,, I managed too get pretty tight groups with the iron sights. Then I added a 6 X power scoop that proved too others and my self that this out of the box unit was a full on competition rifle.

The only other rifle I had at the time that matched and beet it was my competition Remington 243 heavy barrel that was $$$ twice the price of the Midland...

Now after 40 + years I am buying another odd 6 too finish up the remaining target and game harvest years.

I do like wood stocks since they feel nice in hand, the solidness of them with their added weight.

The feel of the recoil too,,, more knowing its wood thaking up the shock, Ha.

Looks like your daughter and you are enjoying the PH in hand, and it will be a very nice rifle for years too follow with stories to tell along the way.

PS: Take the time too find out as much history of that rifle if you choose as it will add personal value to it in the years ahead.

Pal Don
Old 08-14-2016, 04:16 PM

I run one in 308 Norma for moose. Given to me by my father. Gun has always shot MOA or better. Also have a semi custom built with a PH action. Most accurate rifle I own. These two will never leave the stable.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:33 PM

Default Parker Hale

I have a model 1100 Light weight Safari Deluxe in .308 win.

I think they are a much better rifle than people give them credit for.

Nice strong Mauser action, positive extraction and all round good quality.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:42 PM

Parker hales are a classic quality rifle and ive always thought they had class
The midlands are a good rifle as well with a unique action its a cross breed a mauser action modded to use a springfield 03 bolt i recently pulled apart a midland 270 i had and turned it into a bench plinker in 6.5x55 picked up a shilen select match with a bad chamber job that was unusable for very cheap had enough shank to cut out the bad chamber and redo lost three inches finishing at 23" but shoots great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (31.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 08-14-2016, 06:56 PM

Nice rifle, as that what my wife ran when she first started hunting. Mauser 98 action, 4 land barrel and a trigger that was way ahead of its time. The stock design was garish and clunky with square edges and chunky squared off forends, the detachable stamped tin magazines were an aboration from hell, as too many were given a tweak her or there with pliers, and subsequently couldn't be inserted with the bolt open without fear of the loaded rounds flying out and piling up under the scope.

Are they anything beyond what Zastava is currently producing, I don't think so.
Are they miles ahead of a Ruger 77, only with having the better trigger.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-14-2016, 07:22 PM

I've got an old 1200c a 30-06 on a Santa Barbra 98. And a converted #4 lee enfield in 303. They both have high quality barrels in them and both shoot very well. Last time I shot the 303 (15 years ago) it was to make a load. It put 5 Remington 180g round nose bullets in an inch at 100 yards pretty as you please. Never did shoot it again after that. Lol.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:56 PM

Yes I know the one Mikeham,
Was called a Midland special light 30-06.
$189 at Kmart at Marlborough mall in 1979-80.
I saved for it but it sold before I could get it.

TBark
Old 08-14-2016, 08:14 PM

My father still shoots his parker hale detachable mag 7mm I think it's a safari. I offered him anything in the gun store for it.....he told me it's going to Valhalla with him. Love them PH
Old 08-14-2016, 08:21 PM

I owned one for awhile, I bought it for my wife and she didn't like it, I didn't need it myself so the gun eventually got traded. Like a good many of the older rifles I have owned, I would rather own a good PH than just about anything currently selling new for under a grand.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeham View Post
I've got One in .30-06 too. Branded as Midland, made in England. It's been a great rifle for me, as it was for my father before me. He bought it at Woodwards for $175 back in the early 80s.
Practically a ditto across the board here, though mine's in .270 and my dad bought it from Bob Sampson at Castaway Sports. No idea how much he paid, but I imagine it would have been about the same. Thing's practically mint. Stock sounds different than what Dick's referring to & it has an internal magazine with floorplate. Trigger's adjustable; instructions were posted in here one time.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Nice rifle, as that what my wife ran when she first started hunting. Mauser 98 action, 4 land barrel and a trigger that was way ahead of its time. The stock design was garish and clunky with square edges and chunky squared off forends, the detachable stamped tin magazines were an aboration from hell, as too many were given a tweak her or there with pliers, and subsequently couldn't be inserted with the bolt open without fear of the loaded rounds flying out and piling up under the scope.

Are they anything beyond what Zastava is currently producing, I don't think so.
[B]Are they miles ahead of a Ruger 77, only with having the better trigger.
I wouldn't take one over a Ruger 77 mkII, but I'd sure take one over the currently produced Hawkeye.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:17 AM

I have one in 3006. I bought it for $600 from grandpa. I have blown holes in quite a few coyotes with it. You never have to shoot them twice with a 3006!!! :sHa_sarcastic lol: