Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 PM

Default Computer help

Does anyone know why i suddenly cannot get onto certain websites, see infomall pics/respond to ads, that i could easily get onto just yesterday?(multiple sites suddenly just shows white page and never loads)..
tried clearing cookies,system restore,reinstalling windows,virus scan,restoring computer to earlier time..is this a router issue?everything is connected router appears connect/fine. This exact problem happened a few months ago and i fixed it,but now forgot how i did it!
Thx
Old 07-12-2013, 10:44 PM

Might be NSA hijacked your computer.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:48 PM

1st post was a joke.
Now I am serious.
If you are using Mozila and have No Script you need to go every time in No Script menu and temporary allow run script for particular site.
Hope it helped you.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
1st post was a joke.
Now I am serious.
If you are using Mozila and have No Script you need to go every time in No Script menu and temporary allow run script for particular site.
Hope it helped you.

Actually i'm with internet explorer..does going in 'no scriptmenu' still apply?
and just as important,how does one get to the 'accessing' page/section of running script, sailor?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post

Actually i'm with internet explorer..does going in 'no scriptmenu' still apply?
and just as important,how does one get to the 'accessing' page/section of running script, sailor?
Have not been using IE for years and not going to.
In Mozila it would be in right bottom corner .
BTW try download different browsers like Mozilla ,Opera etc,it might help
Though it could be just low speed in your Internet
Old 07-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Banned

First thing that always comes to mind is a virus. Download malwarebytes, update it and do a full system scan. Many viruses today will redirect your DNS which could explain the blank pages.

Download ccleaner and do the full cleanup and registry scan and try again. Pretty easy software to use.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:30 AM

Thanks very much guys!
will try these things you said tommorrow & update thread.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:26 PM

---double post---
Old 07-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Try deleting your temp files first. Tools>Internet Options>General>Browsing History>Delete (everything)

Then try restoring the IE default settings in Tools>Internet Options>Advanced Tab>Restore Defaults
Old 07-13-2013, 08:07 PM

I have now tried everything offered above,still locked out of sites..what could it be?
Old 07-13-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I have now tried everything offered above,still locked out of sites..what could it be?
if u try everything it might never work again
Old 07-13-2013, 08:41 PM

You can also try resetting the modem and router. Unplug power to both, wait 30secs. Plug in power to modem, plug in power to router. What sites are you trying to access? Maybe they're down.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
You can also try resetting the modem and router. Unplug power to both, wait 30secs. Plug in power to modem, plug in power to router. What sites are you trying to access? Maybe they're down.
For many of us, the router and modem are one piece of equipment.

If you've reinstalled windows, you could be running multiple OS, I'd check for that and maybe redo your reinstall with a complete format as well. That is last step though as you'll lose everything.

If you can still access other sites, that aren't cached then it's not a hardware issue either. Chances are it's in your security/DNS/IP settings somewhere. Also if it's a work computer, then you might have been locked out, same as if you internet is third party (ie, someone else's account).

What I would try first is an IPconfig reset. Not sure what version of windows you're using so I'll do a general set of instructions.

Run CMD.exe to open DOS Promt

get to c:\> and type in "ipconfig /release" hit enter

type in "ipconfig /renew" hit enter

type in exit and hit enter to shut down CMD window, Restart and see if it makes a difference.

Not sure if that will help at all, but I spent some time as a phone jockey doing tech support and this was usually step one, step two would be to ping your network card, I forgot what the local IP is though, 192.168.1.1 seems familiar though. So to ping your network card is simply going back into the DOS window and typing in /ping 192.168.1.1(or whatever the local IP is running IPconfig without a slash command will give you your local IP as the Default Gateway)

If a renewed IP doesn't establish a connection, and your network card is receiving and responding to a Ping from here we'd look for software conflicts. Run "msconfig" check selective start up, take a look through your start up list, if you've got 20+ there's the potential for conflicts, so google everything in the list to find out what it is. If you got 50+ in this list then you got some conflicts going on for sure. At this point, since software conflicts weren't covered under warranty (you never bought it like that) you'd get some advice on how to minimize your start up sequence and referred to a pay service for support.

Just some basic things you might have already looked into. Though I'm pretty sure it has something to do with DNS settings, I'm not privy to info on how that actually works so someone else might be able to help you out further.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

I recently was asked to fix someones computer with similar issues. I ended up Disabling a bunch of ToolBar and Extensions they had loaded. Dead easy to do and no permanent damage if it doesn't work.

Click Tools - then Internet Options - then Programs tab - then Manage Add-Ons. Click Toolbars and Extensions and wait for the list to populate.

You can then go down the list and click to highlight then disable anything on the list that you do not need. For starters you can disable pretty much everything that is not under the Microsoft header. I left Adobe and my A/V also.

After I did that I re-booted and the computer functioned properly and could access the internet again.

If by some chance it does not work for you or you find a particular program or website is not working properly for you it is simple to go back and enable that particular Toolbar or Extension. No harm done.

If one really wanted to you could go back and re-enable one item at a time to see which one(s) were causing the problem.

Worked for me, easy to do and not difficult.
Regards,
Dave.