Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 03:34 AM

Default i hope this isn't getting too old fast.

I went to a west end business to check out their new nasal mask for my CPAP machine and me.
I was impressed with it's design and look but was hesitant to purchase at the time for two reasons.
First reason: I have a moustache so there was no guarantee it would not leak air around it.
Second reason: I had priced the exact same mask on line at several CPAP
stores in the USA and their prices were from $109.00 to $119.00 USD.
Her price locally was $275.00 + gst and she wouldn't budge even after I informed her of the price difference. She actually got quite perturbed at me for even looking for pricing on line.
Well I thought, you just lost a customer for life, after 7 years with this outfit
I am relieved to know there is alternatives to price gouging, and I have found it on-line.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseburger View Post
I went to a west end business to check out their new nasal mask for my CPAP machine and me.
I was impressed with it's design and look but was hesitant to purchase at the time for two reasons.
First reason: I have a moustache so there was no guarantee it would not leak air around it.
Second reason: I had priced the exact same mask on line at several CPAP
stores in the USA and their prices were from $109.00 to $119.00 USD.
Her price locally was $275.00 + gst and she wouldn't budge even after I informed her of the price difference. She actually got quite perturbed at me for even looking for pricing on line.
Well I thought, you just lost a customer for life, after 7 years with this outfit
I am relieved to know there is alternatives to price gouging, and I have found it on-line.
Yeah they do get very ****y about us price shopping.

What style of mask are you checking out?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:56 AM

I have a mustache and goatee...I find the nasal pillow to be the best. Our dog destroyed mine one day, and like you, my local CPAP distributor wanted $275. I purchased from a US store for $120, all-in, shipped to my door.
Canadian CPAP dealers are horrendously expensive. I got my complete CPAP Machine for under $1,000 from the US. $2500 up here.
Most dealers will require your prescription before shipping CPAP machines or accessories.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Yeah they do get very ****y about us price shopping.

What style of mask are you checking out?
It's called The Wisp...$109.00 USD
West end wanted $275.00
It actually fits over your nose, not inside it.
The harness that comes with it is
Superior than anything that is presently
Out there. They make them for ladies too.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
I have a mustache and goatee...I find the nasal pillow to be the best. Our dog destroyed mine one day, and like you, my local CPAP distributor wanted $275. I purchased from a US store for $120, all-in, shipped to my door.
Canadian CPAP dealers are horrendously expensive. I got my complete CPAP Machine for under $1,000 from the US. $2500 up here.
Most dealers will require your prescription before shipping CPAP machines or accessories.
Just picked up my new RX this am.
Will be shopping very shortly.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:31 PM

I just got turned down by Alberta Blue Cross for my new machine or any accesories (a new mask) Can you tell me the websites that sell at a better cost and don't rip off consumers?

Oh and a note!!! People are having major health issues and or dying because CPAP machines are treated like NASA costs. $2400.00 for a machine and 250.00 just for a mask is beyond highway robbery. If you aren't covered and don't have that kind of money lying around well doesn't it just suck to be you!!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker View Post
I just got turned down by Alberta Blue Cross for my new machine or any accesories (a new mask) Can you tell me the websites that sell at a better cost and don't rip off consumers?

Oh and a note!!! People are having major health issues and or dying because CPAP machines are treated like NASA costs. $2400.00 for a machine and 250.00 just for a mask is beyond highway robbery. If you aren't covered and don't have that kind of money lying around well doesn't it just suck to be you!!!!
All too often Health Care is supplied by people who would do well in the Mafia.

Grizz
Old 07-12-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
All too often Health Care is supplied by people who are doing well in the Mafia.

Grizz
fixed for ya

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-14-2013, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker View Post

[QUOTE=plinker;2037335]I just got turned down by Alberta Blue Cross for my new machine or any accesories (a new mask) Can you tell me the websites that sell at a better cost and don't rip off consumers?

CPAP.com is a site that snail mails your stuff to you.... that way you don't have to pay duty, as they mark it For Medical Use... hense no brokerage fees.
I hope I don't get in trouble with the mods for putting their . com thing on here.Just trying to help out fellow CPAP users save money on outrageous Canadian pricing.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseburger View Post
CPAP.com is a site that snail mails your stuff to you.... that way you don't have to pay duty, as they mark it For Medical Use... hense no brokerage fees.
I hope I don't get in trouble with the mods for putting their . com thing on here.Just trying to help out fellow CPAP users save money on outrageous Canadian pricing.
Just to clarify that....it's just the federal taxes you don't have to pay on (GST). But you still have brokerage fees to pay. Either through the courier company, or the brokerage company you use.
Also, Cpap.com is one of the more expensive US companies to deal with.
http://www.directhomemedical.com/ is the one I used.

Just note though: My machine is a ResMed brand. Seems to be one of the most popular...no Resmed machines can be shipped to Canada. I got around this by shipping to a friend in the States, then had him ship it up to me.