Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
I went to a store once and made enqueries about a gun.....
I have gone to many stores and inquired about many guns.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
I have gone to many stores and inquired about many guns.
I bought guns on the street...
At yard sales.
I also sold one out of the trunk of my car once.... and it was at night.... outside of a bar.
And in a community that I did not live in.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
At yard sales.
I also sold one out of the trunk of my car once.... and it was at night.... outside of a bar.
I have similar stories.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmooth View Post
this was a hate crime obviously
Not every crime that involves two people of different color is a "hate crime", even though news networks like CNN would like you to believe they are.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
Not every crime that involves two people of different color is a "hate crime", even though news networks like CNN would like you to believe they are.
True.

I think race did influence Zimmerman a bit... as far as the shadowing goes but that dosn't make it a hate crime.
Racial profiling.....maybe.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:58 AM
Banned

Zimmerman was the head of neighbourhood watch and the condo association and he went looking for a street sign ?

I know my address and the address of at least half the neighbourhood without even looking.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Banned

Innocent. Reminds of the rataeh parsons girl. No case for prosecution until media gets involved. Then public pressure forces someone to be the guilty party
Old 07-05-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't be the first time someone faked an assault.
Hell... I'd break my own nose to stay out of prison on a potential murder rap.
Be nuts not to try it if you thought you might get away with it.

In fact... any course taken regarding a self defence scenario would almost certainly include some by the side advice on how to avoid prosecution.
Thats why people take them.
And Zimmerman took a few such courses...no?

I've taken similar training and all sorts of wink wink nudge nudge advice was always offered.

Whoi knows?
We'll have to hope that the courts see through the BS and get down to what really happened... whether that means a conviction or not.
well, while I don't think that happened in this case, I can see why someone would want to stack the deck in their favor after defending themselves. It doesn't matter how obvious it is, or how much evidence there is that you legitimately defended yourself, there will always be some who don't believe you.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
I went to a store once and made enqueries about a gun.....
Did you just turn 17?
Old 07-05-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Why would it be a crime for Trayvon to be looking into guns? Don't we go on about 2nd ammendments this and that and gun rights and so forth, but all of a sudden this young American doesn't have a right to have an interest in guns????
I am not sure of Florida law, but I don't think a 17 year old kid should own a gun. If he is interested in guns I think there should be a club he could have joined.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
Take out the emotion and with Florida's stand your ground law I think it's pretty cut and dry. .
Would not a reasonable standard in such a law be that you don't START the altercation? Who was standing their ground? You are hardly standing your ground if you chase down and start an altercation with somene who is doing nothing to you and committing no crime.

Guess the guy breaking into your house could claim "stand your ground" and shoot and kill you if you got the upper hand and started beating on him.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
I am not sure of Florida law, but I don't think a 17 year old kid should own a gun. If he is interested in guns I think there should be a club he could have joined.
Legal age to own a gun in Florida is 18.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
If someone is smashing your head into cement would you have more than a few band aids on your scalp. Plus the doctor testified that the wounds weren't that bad.
If someone were trying to smash my head into the sidewalk, I would not relax my head and let him. I would be pretty stiff necked about it, just sayin'
Old 07-05-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
At yard sales.
PSST. meet me in the alley. LOL just joking. But that is probably the only way a 17 yr old kid would get a gun.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:40 AM

All the evidence should be in by early next week and handed to the jury, I think I will make my final judgement then. The evidence so far is leaning towards Zimmerman but things could change.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_hate_snow View Post
Innocent. Reminds of the rataeh parsons girl. No case for prosecution until media gets involved. Then public pressure forces someone to be the guilty party
Oh... so those boys never gang raped her and posted it on the web then?
Hmmm...
Old 07-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
well, while I don't think that happened in this case, I can see why someone would want to stack the deck in their favor after defending themselves. It doesn't matter how obvious it is, or how much evidence there is that you legitimately defended yourself, there will always be some who don't believe you.
Just as there will always be people that believe a guy claiming to defend himself .... really was or that the guy arrested is guilty.

People cannot seem to help but add their personal bias especially when they identify with one party or the other.
And they flip opinions according to that as well.

Look at Ludwig and Knight.
One is a hated for what he may have done and the other was supported for what he did do. Yet... someone at Ludwigs was defending people and property and Knight had already recovered his when he shot that guy well away from hearth and home.

This is why an investigation and (usuallly) a court trial are important whenever someone is killed by another person.
Its a serious thing that must be examined and people need to see that justice is done for both victim and accused.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
PSST. meet me in the alley. LOL just joking. But that is probably the only way a 17 yr old kid would get a gun.
I don't know what the law is in that state but I bought a gun in a store when still a minor.... with a license mind you... but a minor none the less.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadyaz View Post
Legal age to own a gun in Florida is 18.
Quote:
I don't know what the law is in that state but I bought a gun in a store when still a minor.... with a license mind you... but a minor none the less.
No offense but the laws regarding purchasing and owning firearms has changed lots since we were kids.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
No offense but the laws regarding purchasing and owning firearms has changed lots since we were kids.
None taken... and hasn't it though?
I was just pointing out that a 17 year old in Florida might be able to purchase lawfully... for all that I knew.
I see that someone posted the legal age as 18 though.

Still... no harm in window shopping... I would imagine that the accused might have done that himself when he was 16 or 17.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
None taken... and hasn't it though?
I was just pointing out that a 17 year old in Florida might be able to purchase lawfully... for all that I knew.
I see that someone posted the legal age as 18 though.

Still... no harm in window shopping... I would imagine that the accused might have done that himself when he was 16 or 17.
When they were investigating him some of his friends, or people that knew him said that he was getting into more and more fights, he has used marijuana and he was trying to buy a gun. None of this was allowed in court as it was mostly hear say. So I guess we believe what ever we want to.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Zimmerman was the head of neighbourhood watch and the condo association and he went looking for a street sign ?

I know my address and the address of at least half the neighbourhood without even looking.
No,he was a SELF APPOINTED head of the watch.Big difference.And Castle Law doesn't cover following guys around the hood.If he had cranked the kid in his(Zimmermans) yard then he would be O.K.
Chuck his stupid butt in jail.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
When they were investigating him some of his friends, or people that knew him said that he was getting into more and more fights, he has used marijuana and he was trying to buy a gun. None of this was allowed in court as it was mostly hear say. So I guess we believe what ever we want to.
So he's pretty much like every other 17 year old kid then ?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Did you just turn 17?
Probably started appreciating guns much earlier than that. I also bought Knives and traps at 17, I do believe I likely enquiried about purchasīng guns..... At 17... Cuff me... Can't take it...
Lol, burden of proof.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Worse than what I saw he had, I have seen a lot worse beating taken place after hours at a bar and nobody died.
So, is there a template available or something? I would really like to know how hurt I need to be before I can defend myself.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
So he's pretty much like every other 17 year old kid then ?
pretty much. I am not saying anything against the kid. Just putting out the facts as I heard them, not making any judgments at all. I loved guns and knives since I was a very little guy but I never obtained on illegally.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
So, is there a template available or something? I would really like to know how hurt I need to be before I can defend myself.
If you start it its not self defence.

If I break into your house and you catch me an give me a punch in the face can I then shoot you and claim self defence because you possibly could have killed me ?.its a silly argument the stand your ground law wasn't brought in so people that are losing fights they started could kill.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
pretty much. I am not saying anything against the kid. Just putting out the facts as I heard them, not making any judgments at all. I loved guns and knives since I was a very little guy but I never obtained on illegally.
I know by 17 I had shot and maybe owned guns and had tried marijuana too.
Most 17 year olds have a similar story except the people on this board apparently.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
If you start it its not self defence.

If I break into your house and you catch me an give me a punch in the face can I then shoot you and claim self defence because you possibly could have killed me ?.its a silly argument the stand your ground law wasn't brought in so people that are losing fights they started could kill.
I understand what you are saying, but if you punch someone in the face, do you give up all legal ability to stop the other person from murdering you? Do you really just have to lay there until the enraged person decides to stop crushing you?

If someone punches you in the face and you start beating on them, I believe there comes a time when the beating can go too far and the other person is allowed to reply with force.. deadly force if necessary.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
I understand what you are saying, but if you punch someone in the face, do you give up all legal ability to stop the other person from murdering you? Do you really just have to lay there until the enraged person decides to stop crushing you?
No, but you shouldn't be able kill them and then invoke a right of self defence and walk away scot-free. You should be convicted of some degree of murder, and then have the facts you mention come in at some point in your sentencing. You started it. There would have been no death but for your instigation. No "stand your ground" or "castle doctrine" law should allow you to walk away a free man as if you were an innocent victim. Those laws were designed to help innocent victims protect themselves.