Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-29-2013, 09:16 AM

Default Some people love them some hate them the samick sage

Well i'm about 98% sure im going to go buy a 50lb samick sage take down. but have a few lingering worrie's hopefully you fellows can put to rest before i blow my spending cash on some thing that might not work.
Now i know some people love them to death and write glowing reviews then there's other's ( seem to be less) that write rather hateful ones.
My Question is do any of you have one or know of some one that does firsthand.

What are the big things i should look for when i unpack and set it up that could mean i will have problems ? (never had a take down before)

What could i hunt with a 50 lb one with my 31 1/2 draw ( with my draw i think it ends up being like 57 lb pull ) using 125 grain head or should i look at using 150 or 170 grain head ? and i know my field points should match what my broadhead will be.

Over all is it a decent bow to take with me that will with stand a bit of abuse in the brush and wont break/wear out with my shooting a average of 150-200 arrows a day for target practice. sorta on a budget due to haveing 4 kids and have to spend wisely and dont want to throw my money away on some thing that wont meet my needs.
ANY info/advice would be great and sorry about my bad grammer and for rambleing on.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 AM

The sage is a very good bow, and problems with them are rare.
For your draw length there is a longer version just out called the Journey. It is a 64" and better suited to your draw length, and the same price.
I reviewed the sage when it first came out, and have shot and set up many of them since.
Some people complain the bow is not finely finished like a $700.00 custom. Well it doesn't cost $700 either.
The review I did is in my Trad reviews at www.peteward.com

Another bow to look at in the same price range is the Bearpaw "Hard Hunter". It is nicer in finish and looks and shoots very nice.
Git-r-donearchery and trophy Book have these bows in stock.

Pete
Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 AM

yes i have a meeting at git-r-done archery next week why i doing my final asking and looking a reviews.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Default Bow

If you're one of the ones with a long draw whonalsonhappens to be strong then go for 50lbs. If you're more of a willow than an oak then I'd get a little lighter poundage, when its cold out that extra weight makes things go wrong more easily...coat gets in the way, can't draw out of position, too cold to draw etc. and listen to pete about the longer bow I think it would suit you better.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:31 PM

If you are starting Traditional and have a 31" draw a 50@28 is going to be to much bow for you. Try some lighter weights when you go the Girt-r-dones shop.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM

i using a 60lb traditional recurve right now not a problem, works out to 68lb i think, we figured it out at CaC. ether way 60 or 68 lb isn't a problem for me i can hold it at full draw for roughly 15 sec before i get a little shall we say twitchy. although i know with it being 60amo i get a little bit of a finger pinch so yes looking at 62 or 64 amo should fix that little problem and make it a smoother draw.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:33 AM

I have never used a Sage but they seem great
Old 04-02-2013, 07:20 PM

I actually just ordered a set of Sage limbs from Lancaster Archery for $60.00. I'm going to put them on the riser of my old checkmate compound bow. I'll let you know how it works, they should be here this week.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:22 PM

First recurve was a sage, loved it but a family member decided she really liked it - now shooting a hoyt gm2 and a tradtech apex (built by samick) and between the two I definitely love the apex more than the hoyt. Can't go wrong with the Sage, for the price it is a fine bow - far superior to any if the others I tried in the price range.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:15 AM

just ordered one from lancaster, so excited
Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 PM

Well just got my sage yesterday. thinks iv put about 500 arrows though it all ready to just test it out, works great cant complain at all shoots my arrows were i want them to go and is smooth to draw even with my 31 1/2 draw.
as my first take down makes me want a high end one now maybe next year save up funds and all that stuff.