Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-24-2013, 11:42 PM

Default Shotguns - how many bowhunters carry one?

Curious to know how many bow hunters carry a defensive firearm like a shotgun or guide rifle when they hunt? Does the style of hunting affect that decision, such as spot and stalk versus ground blind.

How many people carry pepper spray?

Personally i never carry a shotgun hunting unless I repeatedly set up in the same ground blind and use game calls. I do carry pepper spray.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 AM

Pepper spray,
Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 AM

Default Shotguns

I'd never carry a snotty, too heavy although I've had a time when I really wanted one because of a pesky little grizzly. A can of pepper spray and a small sharp rock ink my pocket is good enough for me.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:50 AM

Ranch Hand

LC
Old 03-25-2013, 08:41 AM

I do at black bear bait stations...had a sow up the tree and smelling my boot before one could take a can of bear spray out of its holster...if she had a hold of my leg I would rather take my chances with the shotgun than the pepper spray...seen some pretty incredible stuff with bears over the years...

I actually carry both...I have no fear of black bears ...more mutual respect..with concern at times..lol.. a sow with cubs can be scary...

Neil
Old 03-25-2013, 01:29 PM

Only at bear baits. May carry pepper spray but I seem to forget that alot too. LOL Have never had a need even at the bear baits.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I'd never carry a snotty, too heavy although I've had a time when I really wanted one because of a pesky little grizzly. A can of pepper spray and a small sharp rock ink my pocket is good enough for me.
OK ya got me curious, what is the rock for?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:01 PM

Ive never carried any before until I got charged by a boar. I carried one for about a month after then stop. I always notice when im hanging stands or trail cams the second I get the deepest in the bush I think man a cougar could be watching me...
Old 03-25-2013, 03:25 PM

I carry a short shotty , especially on bait stands .
Old 03-25-2013, 03:30 PM

I didn't carry either, last year was my first year bow hunting. I didn't want to lug one along and didn't feel like spending the extra money either. This year I will have Bear spray with me, I got some for Christmas.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM

I have both. Have not been out bow hunting yet so this year will be a kit test year. Ill probably always carry the spray, but I don't know if ill always carry the shotgun. I bought a 12.5 Grizzly for bowhunting and camping but it's pretty heavy.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 PM

Nikes and a knife so I can stab buddy in the thigh and outrun him lol, feed the bear and live to hunt another day.

And a deck of cards in case I get lost - deal up a hand of solitaire cause sooner or later someone will come by and tell me the next move to make.

But seriously, spray is first resort and shotgun is always the last.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 PM

As bow hunters we are usually gear laden enough without the hassle of packing a long arm. Anything with teeth and claws will get a sharp stick....grizzly bear can eat me. Haven't you seen the closing scene of Legends of the Fall?

Seriously, I pack some pepper spray and practice using last years can from time to time.

Note to others....don't forget spray in fanny pack and toss it into truck with pile of other gear. It can go off and make things inhospitable, not to mention undriveable. First hand experience.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM

I was on an elk hunting trip near Cranbrook last year and called in a cow but we could hear the bull a lttle ways off. The cow came within 10 meters of the hide but after about 15 minutes got spooked by something else - I figured maybe the bull was coming in. Nothing happened so after 15 minutes we started to relax again and I just turned my head in time and rested my eyes on a the exact spot in the grass to see a cougar sitting there are watching. Man it was big - i would say at least 150lbs.

At this point in the season we were rifle hunting but we didn't want to shoot because of the earlier elk action. figured throwing a few rocks would do it. Wrong! That cat got mighty ****ed at us throwing rocks -not intimidated at all. Eventually it slipped into the long grass and disappeared - then we were really worried, especially with a 2km long hike through the grass and back to the vehicle in the dark.

It kind of got me thinking what would I have done with just the bow? In this instance I would have probably not thought long and shot the cat. But if that was a grizzly - that's an intimidating thought. Would you shoot it? That might just **** it off. Then what? Difficult to shoot yourself with a bow!

Although, I do like the idea of shooting the hunting partner.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 PM

In some zones, I pack two cans of pepper,a bear tag AND the 45-70.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheep hunt 44 mag bullets 018.jpg (123.7 KB, 157 views)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 PM

I carry pepper spray. Its light, easy to carry, and effective in about 95% bear encounters. Havent seen stats on firearms but I would be surprised if they are more effective. Lots can go wrong.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 PM

I usually pack both, a can of pepper spray is great when hiking around during the day, but it does little good at night when a bear or whatever is trying to come thru your tent. I had a bear once, trying tear open my cooler that was 10 yrds from my tent at 2:30am thankfully I had the shotgun ready and a warning shot over it's head sent it packing, I don't know what would've happened with just the pepper spray but I slept a lot better the rest of the night with the shotgun by my side.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:33 PM

All the years bowhunting I have encounters with moose bear Grizz wold cougar and ran over by an elk...and near trampled by a wild horse...but never needed to shoot my bow...

Yet I wish it was like Alaska where one can carry a side arm, just for peace of mind..

Neil
Old 03-26-2013, 01:31 PM

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152

page 10 and 11 have some information on shotgun loads for bear protection from tests done by the USDA Forestry service. It's pretty dated but there's good info in there.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:44 PM

Guided a pile of bear hunts, I used to carry a shot gun or mini 30. But over the last year I have started only packing a gun on recoveries when a bad shot was made. Not because I'm worried about an injured bear attacking me so much as a for sure way to finish one off in the event it's still alive.

I do allot of bow hunting in griz/cougar country, I don't pack a rifle or bear spray. I think the biggest threat in the bush when bow hunting is other hunters packing rifles.

Being able to pack one of my hand guns would be cool, but only for the sake of being cool. Piece of mind I don't need. Kinda like life before cell phones. People have been doing it for years without.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsak021 View Post
http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152

page 10 and 11 have some information on shotgun loads for bear protection from tests done by the USDA Forestry service. It's pretty dated but there's good info in there.
Some good points in there...I was guiding for bear one year and had a wounded bear issue...and this bear wasnt fooling aroung and was charging for real...first shot was with 0 buck 9 pellets..point blank head on ...it rolled the bear and a quick slug kept it down...

I was shocked when bear was skinned out ...there was five of the nine pellets on the skull all five pellets never penertrated the skull anywhere but where firmly lodged in the skull..

Therefore I wouldnt recommend anything under 000 buck with 6 pellets and slugs...loaded one 000 buck -slug- 000- slug etc..

Alley my 12 gauge pump has an extended mag that holds 9 rounds loaded..
3 with plug...folding stock and pistol grip...that first shot was from the hip as it happened quick...

Neil
Old 03-26-2013, 03:52 PM

I think the shot gun would be my last ditch effort. Meaning it was almost on me already. It would give me a little piece of mind, though, knowing I have a little something for protection at camp during the night or while packing out my game. My pepper spray would more than likely be the first thing to come out should I happen to stumble upon mr or mrs scary bear. Lets not forget though that bears aren't the only scary things out there. I'm sure mr bear might be able to shrug off some buckshot, but mrs kitty probably wouldn't.

The little chances some of us ever needing to use the shotgun or spray, I think it's still good to have threads like this and keep everyone aware what's out there.

That thought of bears an scary things is what allowed me to buy my fun gun wifey sleeps better knowing I have something.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Banned

Yes I carry a 12ga shotty
Old 03-26-2013, 04:35 PM

Default The rock

I knew someone would ask about the small sharp rock. Well, if you get into bear trouble you take the rock out of your pocket and drop it in your hunting buddies boot.....it slows down his running and you can get away
Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 AM

for our moose camp this year on a big cut line different members of my family will be positioned in separate places so ya we are al going to have one firearm in each group as we will be in one place all day. safety first.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:06 PM

Pepper spray and a Marlin 1895 GS in 45-70 with Remington 405 gr loads.