Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 PM

Default Front mount electric motor on pontoon boat?

I have a fish cat pontoon and would like to front mount a electric trolling motor. Has anyone done this or seen pics on the net?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 PM

shur it could be done might be a little challenging to get it just right but wear there a will there is a way im in the proses of making mine in to a double wheeler so i can get it in to some more remote locations with ease
Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 PM

Just curious why would you want to mount the motor in front? I've seen it done but it makes it real difficult to get in and out of the boat and can make landing a fish difficult.

Wayne

Last edited by waynep; 02-01-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:20 PM

image.jpg
Old 02-01-2013, 08:22 PM

image.jpg
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 PM

id be conserded with the fish ability as well i know u can get over the head handles the best part of the fish cat is bring the fish right to u
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 AM

With any modification there is always a plus and a minus.

Unfortunately for Swampdonkey75 his Fishcat does not have a casting platform which would allow getting in or out just as easy as if there was not a front steer.
The casting platform will also allow the fisher to drag the fish to himself just as if there was not a front steer.

The minus of a casting platform is the extra weight.

Mine front steer consits of 4 3" long 1/4" nuts and bolts with a piece of 2x4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front steer 001.JPG (53.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Front steer 002.JPG (45.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 02-02-2013, 09:12 AM

I think you guys are into this idea because of the ease of steering, and the added manuverability. Its a great concept but my suggestion would be to have a side mount, near the front. That way it leaves you more room in front for fishing, and you dont have a prop quite so close to your feet

Basically all you need is a board that overhangs one side, and is strapped down securely, that would be the best way IMO.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the help. Im putting some riser pucks under the seat and trying to mount the motor as far under me as i can so i dont have to turn around and steer my back does not work so good.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:07 PM

If turning on your seat is a problem go to wholesale or canadian tire and by a swivel for your seat. You will also need a few nuts bolt and washers.
It's probably the best and cheapest upgrade you can do to a pontoon.
If your looking to back trol with your pontoon try it mounted on the back, take the screw out that connects the trolling motor head to the shaft and spin it 180 degrees then replace it. I replaced it with a push pin that way you can spin it whenever you want.
With it reversed you can use the forward speeds and the boat controls way better than running your motor in reverse.
Set your speed and lock the shaft in place then you can steer with fins.

Wayne
Old 02-07-2013, 03:53 PM

Default Extended handle

I have a Fish Cat 10'IR its the one that doesnt have the casting platform, I have the battery box bolted to the rear deck and then I just mounted the motor to the mount on the boat, now I have a bad back too so I went out and bought a handle extension so it is right behind me and easy to get to and I will usually sit to one side and twist around a little bit. I am going to do that idea of mounting a swivel base on my seat I think that'll work just perfect.
Personally just not a fan of a front mounted motor, I think that would just get in the way especially when landing big fish you want to bring it right up the middle at your feet.