Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 AM

Default Who Misses Bow Fishing Pike?

I remember Wabamun in its heyday before the size limits and the ban on bowfishing for Pike. I think I got a bigger rush sticking a hog pike with an arrow than shooting a deer. The first double digit pike I shot had my knees knocking so hard my buddy thought I was going to fall out of the boat. That's right, a boat.......half of the lake was open from the power plant outflow. It was kind of like the Polar version of 'Swamp People' with toques and a different accent.

The C&R saints on the fishing board will flame me without mercy it they read this. I know that it had to change. Probably shouldn't have eaten all them heavy metal laden fish either.....

Other lakes like Gull also had a tradition of big fish shacks, decoys, and bowfishing through the ice.

Good Old Days.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 AM

Default Pike

I miss it and I ain't even done it!! I do like bowfishing for carp, I've bow fished for mullet too in Africa and it was fun but I've never bow fished in Alberta.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:46 AM

We can still bowfish perch and whitefish I think?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 AM

I have only bow fished for suckers in a stream and that was when I was a kid.

Main reason bowfishing for pike was stopped was because of size limits that were brought in.....with bow fishing there is no C&R. Also the populations of large fish are down at many lakes in central Alberta.

LC
Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 AM

Used to have a blast going after the gators with an arrow , but like Lefty says , pretty hard to release one with an arrow .. Have to be satisfied with the suckers and whitefish now .
Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 AM

Aaaaaaaahhhhh the old days.. i remember the days of walking the channelsnat wabamun.... recurve in hand.... muzzy fish tips on my fish arrows... and a bear archery bow fishing reel. Ben a long time since i shot a big mess of pike. I used to use the inlet for whitefish. And trident tipped arrows for perch off the jonboat in the shallows for perch at northbuck.

There is still good bowfishing for suckers in a few creeks around here. But its been a long time since i went to go shoot a fish.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 AM

Really miss it ...but the rule really saves the spawnners,

last time I went bow fishing was when the creek opened up on Slyvan lake ...my last shot was a double ...a ten pounder I was shooting at and didnt even see the 5 pounder behind it ...but got them both one shot one arrow...will have to dig up that pic..

Neil
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 AM

i have a compound bow but no arrows for fish and no line storage might have to dust off the old bow and try it out next time i go sasc

i remember when i was really little in sasc when i didnt get a fish fishing some of the bow fisherman would give me a pike or two

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 AM

Never did it as when it left I wasn't a bowhunter yet........
Would have loved to....
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikecrazed View Post
i have a compound bow but no arrows for fish and no line storage might have to dust off the old bow and try it out next time i go sasc

i remember when i was really little in sasc when i didnt get a fish fishing some of the bow fisherman would give me a pike or two

Most dealers have the fish arrows or can get them quickly...

when i started there wasnt too much for bow fishing gear around so i took a 10" piece of boomstick inserted a lag screw that was threaded both ends and would fit the stabilizer hole...than with hose clamps I affixed a closed reel with 100 lb test mono...worked awesome....that is... ...until i forgot to hit the line release a few times.......and had to go swimming a couple times in freezing cold water as I just had the one arrow.. ha ha

Neil
Neil
Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM

I know it is a pipe dream but maybe we need a special license draw. 1 pike in a designated FMA. The problem before was it was a free for all. These fish are still getting killed and eaten through regular angling methods. Look at all the lakes with a 3 fish limit. Then again that is maybe a problem to begin with.

What would you pay to bowfish one pike every few years? $20? $50?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:26 PM

The issue was with Bow fishing and spear fishing that all the big female spawnners were the target and most taken..

.but if there was a slot size...it could work...Under 65 slot...BUT there's that its kinna hard to catch and release if the fish is over the slot lol

And to pay more ...my license's cost $250.00 a year already lol

It should be included on our fishing license and bow license that already nears $50.00
JMHO
Neil
Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
The issue was with Bow fishing and spear fishing that all the big female spawnners were the target and most taken..

.but if there was a slot size...it could work...Under 65 slot...BUT there's that its kinna hard to catch and release if the fish is over the slot lol

And to pay more ...my license's cost $250.00 a year already lol

It should be included on our fishing license and bow license that already nears $50.00
JMHO
Neil
No accurate way to determine a size of a fish while in the water under different lighting conditions....with the nature of spear and bow fishing....you can really only target fish that do not have a size restriction as per regulations. Slot or not many under over the slot would be too many incidentals.

LC
Old 01-24-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
No accurate way to determine a size of a fish while in the water under different lighting conditions....with the nature of spear and bow fishing....you can really only target fish that do not have a size restriction as per regulations. Slot or not many under over the slot would be too many incidentals.

LC
yup agreed ...thats kinna what I meant...

Neil
Old 01-24-2013, 03:28 PM

can still be done with a salvage permit in irrigations canals when they are drained at the end of the year...probably not the same though...
Old 01-24-2013, 05:45 PM

canals are still fun! i have shot suckers, whitefish, pike out of canals with my recurve. It is a blast!

www.nicktrehearne.com
Old 01-24-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Who cares what the size limit is. That is why you have a draw with a tag. 1 or 2 fish a year. An angler can go to Gull or Buffalo and kill 3 big fish a week as fast as he can eat them. Shoot a fish and you are done.

The cost of licenses are about 10% of the actual cost of the sport. I don't know why everyone gets so bent out of shape on user pay for play.

Bows are around $1000 now, rifles maybe more. Gas costs about $1.00 and Trucks......
Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Who cares what the size limit is. That is why you have a draw with a tag. 1 or 2 fish a year. An angler can go to Gull or Buffalo and kill 3 big fish a week as fast as he can eat them. Shoot a fish and you are done.

The cost of licenses are about 10% of the actual cost of the sport. I don't know why everyone gets so bent out of shape on user pay for play.

Bows are around $1000 now, rifles maybe more. Gas costs about $1.00 and Trucks......
My comments were not centered around IF there was a tag system....just why there is no bow fishing for pike currently.

LC
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 PM

I can remember the reasons provided when they shut it down. I was there.

Was still the most fun you could have with your duds on and legal to boot
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM

I remember it well, Ahhh the old days on Wab, there was 4 of us that used to take off the first week of June back in the 80's and stay out there for the whole week before the weeds got to heavy. We had a 14' aluminium boat that we framed in and flat bottomed the hull so we could comfortably 1/2 way sit at a small bench seat at the bow, one facing left the other right then one in the middle on a swivel pedestal for side shots and one running the Minkota, 30 minute cycle taking turns driving the boat. Man those were days! My kids have seen it on TV down in the US and said they wished they could do it. When I told them we used to be able to in Alberta they were in awe. Even pulled out the old fibreglass fish arrow and Bear open faced spool line to show em. Thanks for reminding me of those old days 338Bluff. I still fish and hunt with one of the old crew to this day. The other two we haven't seen for 15 or more years.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:25 PM

Used to do it, and yes I miss it