Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 01:15 PM

Default (243) varget powder, but torn between hornady 58gr vmax and nosler 55grBT

I have a 1-9.25 twist savage axis and am torn between which bullets to try out, I already have the nosler 70gr varmint ballistic tips but I always shot factory hornady superformance varmint 58gr and never had a prob on fur or accuracy
What's the more accurate bullet and recipe with varget are u guys using
Old 03-26-2017, 01:26 PM

You'll need to sort that out on your own, since predicting what may or may not shoot well in your rifle is best found out by you through your own test loads and load development.

This is because make, model, serial number sequence, or date of manufacture, mean next to nothing since most rifles will exhibit their own tendencies towards prefered loads.

Myself I'd try a Sierra bullet before any others, and if they won't shoot, you're gonna have a bit of a time finding a load....

There are no absolutes
Old 03-26-2017, 01:28 PM

I'm more or less getting a general census, didn't really wanna buy both bullets just swing what guys prefer
Old 03-26-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chironomidkraut View Post
I'm more or less getting a general census, didn't really wanna buy both bullets just swing what guys prefer
And soon enough you'll find out this is why so many reloaders have 1/2 full boxes of bullets on the shelves in the gun room.....buy and try,, find another hopeful, buy and try, only to buy the latest and greatest, to finally go back to something else... it's part of the quest, don't get pizzed at being told the honest unadaulterated truth... once you start sharing part boxes between your newest reloading buddy, the advantages become very clear.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-26-2017, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chironomidkraut View Post
I have a 1-9.25 twist savage axis and am torn between which bullets to try out, I already have the nosler 70gr varmint ballistic tips but I always shot factory hornady superformance varmint 58gr and never had a prob on fur or accuracy
What's the more accurate bullet and recipe with varget are u guys using
Try them out on your gun, and see what works for you. I don't have axis to give you any comparison, however little it might help you. Good luck on your quest.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:04 PM
Banned

Buy 200 of each ($140 total). Load both bullets... Sell/trade what you don't want.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:12 PM

I have shot 55gr ballistic tips and 75gr vmax out of my 243. Both are accurate and both kill coyotes. Longest shot so far this winter was 550yds with the 55 gr bt.