Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-08-2016, 09:13 AM

Default Backyard deck construction

I am looking to have an existing deck torn down and a new deck built in my backyard.

Anyone know someone qualified in Calgary looking for work?

I would need proper supports poured. May be too cold now for concrete work. First thing in the spring would also work.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-08-2016, 11:53 AM

No reason you can't poor the footings now. If you were doing it in Nov then maybe a differant story. Good to poor concrete in cool weather as then it cures slowly and thus stronger.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:00 PM
AO Sponsor

Are your wanting something seriously awesome or something simple and functional? One of my regular clients has a cmpany called Assiniboine Landscaping who build some amazing spaces, but they are not cheapie guys.

http://www.assiniboine.com/landscape...lings-gallery/
Old 10-08-2016, 12:06 PM

We build lots of homes/additions/decks and have almost complete gone to screw piles for addition and deck supports. More consistent, quicker, and in many cases less expensive.

Just some food for thought.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Are your wanting something seriously awesome or something simple and functional? One of my regular clients has a cmpany called Assiniboine Landscaping who build some amazing spaces, but they are not cheapie guys.

http://www.assiniboine.com/landscape...lings-gallery/
I am hoping that some of the crazy pricing on decks has come down. I have a buddy I can get a deal on materials. I know the layout. Looking for the labour and know how. I could fancy doing it myself. Problem is the time. Would be nice to have professionals come in and put it together right.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-08-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
We build lots of homes/additions/decks and have almost complete gone to screw piles for addition and deck supports. More consistent, quicker, and in many cases less expensive.

Just some food for thought.
I prefer to err on the side of over build once versus fix later. Solid piles have less chance of moving.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:48 PM

If properly engineered, screw piles are as solid as it gets. And can be 'overbuilt' if desired.

IME, many concrete deck piles are undersized. Having been 'engineered' by the seat of someone's pants... Most people won't bother to dig out for a proper footing, rather just pouring a 8-10" Sono Tube.

Obviously, it's your home, your call. But concrete isn't any more solid as a footing than steel screw piles and there are way more variables, often overlooked, to doing a proper job with concrete.

Best of luck with your project.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:27 PM

I have no experience with screw piles, but when setting fence and deck posts I dig them deep, straight and then I bell out the bottom for more bearing surface area and resistance to heave (adequate depth takes care of the frost-heave factor, I go 36" or better)
Old 10-09-2016, 07:29 AM

Another vote for screw piles.Put a 12 ft X 52 addition on to a vintage (72)mobile home.Addition has not moved.The mistake I made was leaving old trailer on blocking.In firm undisturbed soil,my vote goes to screw piles

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2016, 07:43 AM

Sundancefisher;

I am in a similar situation with deck replacement. Thru my working experience with screw piles, I feel that in my situation (which is very similar to yours, same area of City, age, etc. ) they are superior to poured piles for the noted application. As has been stated if both are engineered, soil condition considered etc. screw piles for a deck are the winner. In addition I believe I have observed a screw pile rig that had a long reach, such that they could rig up in the back alley, boom out and drill the piles from a distance away. It looked like the disturbance etc. would be minimal. As I am just starting the costing, job scope. poor memory, etc. I don't have the name of the Piling Company, perhaps someone on the Forum knows that name.
I am also thinking about fence replacement in the same job, screw piles for the verticals would save a lot of work and ground disturbance. I put the old 4`x 6`` posts in with concrete, they will be a job and a half to dig out etc.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:47 AM

Any carpenters on here looking for a weekend build??

Looking to build a 40' x 12' drop beam deck for my house.

The house is brand new, pilings are already in place from the builder. Also plans are included.

Ideally having someone who knows what they're doing come out and giving directions to me and a few friends/family would be great just to keep costs down.

Live SW of Red Deer.

Thanks.