Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2016, 07:01 PM

Default **help** Dog recovery

Hi folks. Some nice person picked my dog up on a lease road west of the bigstone road (km32). south west of fox creek. An operator told me he saw what he believed was a hunter who had her and the person was looking for the owner. This happened earlier today.

im hoping the AO grapevine can help limit this persons inconvenience having to haul my dog around. Black and white malamute / husky(looking). Large. Very friendly.

Please pm if anyone has any info. Thank you. I have limited service. Can't monitor the thread. But will be searching tonight.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:21 PM

That sucks, hope the lead pans out fast and you get your mutt back asap. Good luck
Old 10-07-2016, 08:10 PM

by the sounds of it, your pups in good caring hands which is comforting.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:24 PM
Banned

Hope you get your dog back...

Every dog owner, do yourselves and others a favor - get a personal dog tag with the dogs name and your phone number on it. You can save the person that rescues your dog alot of time and hassle by a simple phone call to the owner. They cost $10 and many pet stores offer the service.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:26 PM

780 622 7490

Have a dog like you describe in fox creek
Old 10-07-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Hope you get your dog back...

Every dog owner, do yourselves and others a favor - get a personal dog tag with the dogs name and your phone number on it. You can save the person that rescues your dog alot of time and hassle by a simple phone call to the owner. They cost $10 and many pet stores offer the service.
Or get a collar with a nameplate on it. My boy is chipped, but his collar also has a nameplate with my # on it.

But sounds like trout might have your hound, OP.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 10-07-2016, 09:28 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2016-10-07-21-26-39.jpg (19.9 KB, 206 views)
Old 10-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Or get a collar with a nameplate on it. My boy is chipped, but his collar also has a nameplate with my # on it.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Banned

Default .

Check the local papers lost and found
Old 10-07-2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
780 622 7490

Have a dog like you describe in fox creek
Nice Catch Troutbug!

I'm sure Forest Techer will be thrilled to see the pm on his email.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-07-2016, 10:47 PM

Good stuff Troutbug!
Old 10-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
Good stuff Troutbug!
X2, hope this is the OP's dog.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:06 PM

Dog rode into camp with a great bunch just now. 1st class treatment! Very happy. Can sleep tonight now.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Troutbug. Uncanny close thanks for the help everyone
Old 10-07-2016, 11:56 PM
Banned

awesome to hear.

Don't put the dogs name on the tag. Just reward offered and your phone number.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
awesome to hear.

Don't put the dogs name on the tag. Just reward offered and your phone number.
If this is a stupid question, I apologize in advance. Why no name on the collar ?
Old 10-08-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
If this is a stupid question, I apologize in advance. Why no name on the collar ?
It's not a stupid question. But I can't wait for Rug's answer!
Old 10-08-2016, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Not stupid at all. I asked the same thing when I was told not to put my dog's name on a tag.

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-...donts-pet-tags

The first thing you probably got for your four-legged friend, or maybe even before, was a collar with an ID tag that says “Penny” in the shape of a pink bone. How adorable is that?

Unfortunately, this seemingly obvious identifier could be a mistake. When you put a name on the tag, everyone your dog comes into contact with will know the name. It would be helpful for someone with good intentions, however, a person with less noble intentions could use that information to entice your pup away.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not stupid at all. I asked the same thing when I was told not to put my dog's name on a tag.

The first thing you probably got for your four-legged friend, or maybe even before, was a collar with an ID tag that says “Penny” in the shape of a pink bone. How adorable is that?

Unfortunately, this seemingly obvious identifier could be a mistake. When you put a name on the tag, everyone your dog comes into contact with will know the name. It would be helpful for someone with good intentions, however, a person with less noble intentions could use that information to entice your pup away.
How big of a tag are people using? I have good eyes, and would still need to be within a couple of feet to read it.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:

I knew you would come through. And I'll bite a little...

Entice my dog away from where?

If it's at the dog park, they'll hear me call my own dog. No need to read the tag. Really, they can just ask me "what's your dog's name?" What kind of jerk would say "bugger off, you can't know my dog's name, you might call her and steal her!"?

If it's out of my yard, then really they don't need a name - some treats or some meat will entice my dog out. You could call her Bob, or Meathead, or Rug...she'll be enticed by the food.

Maybe out in the bush. They read her name tag as she was hanging out the window on my way to fishing. They followed me out, waited for just the right time....."here puppy, here Jaina, come on Jaina".

PS My dog's name is Jaina, you could read it on her tag, along with my phone number, but I have no issue telling you.

Finally, that leaves everywhere else, where she would be required to be on a leash. Go ahead and call her if you like, seems she won't make it far.

Good Saturday morning read. Thanks.

Cheers

Last edited by wags; 10-08-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I knew you would come through. And I'll bite a little...

Entice my dog away from where?

If it's at the dog park, they'll hear me call my own dog. No need to read the tag. Really, they can just ask me "what's your dog's name?" What kind of jerk would say "bugger off, you can't know my dog's name, you might call her and steal her!"?

If it's out of my yard, then really they don't need a name - some treats or some meat will entice my dog out. You could call her Bob, or Meathead, or Rug...she'll be enticed by the food.

Maybe out in the bush. They read her name tag as she was hanging out the window on my way to fishing. They followed me out, waited for just the right time....."here puppy, here Jaina, come on Jaina".

PS My dog's name is Jaina, you could read it on her tag, along with my phone number, but I have no issue telling you.

Finally, that leaves everywhere else, where she would be required to be on a leash. Go ahead and call her if you like, seems she won't make it far.

Good Saturday morning read. Thanks.

Cheers
You're welcome wags. Just passing on what some breeders and trainers have told me. Everyone is certainly free to make up their own mind and do as they please.

Sorry for the derail ForestTecher and glad you got your dog back.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:46 AM

Boomerang tags are really nice, life time warranty but they only make for collars up to 1" wide.
http://www.boomerangtags.com/page.php?c=collartags

Currently have my dog in an Ella's Lead collar with an Aggie's Anvil plate with my name and number on it.
http://www.ellaslead.com/inc/sdetail/12513/12705